Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Thanks to our Volunteers  (Read 4323 times)

Offline northbkr1

• Cycling Sherpa
Thanks to our Volunteers
« on: October 07, 2008, 10:47:28 PM »
Just wanted to say THANKS to everyone who came out Saturday for the Workday at Alafia. If it wasn't for people like you and all of our other VOLUNTEERS who do trail work WE WOULD NOT HAVE anywhere to ride. We would not have any of the GREAT MTB Friends we have. We could not go home with that great feeling we have because we finally made it over that stupid root after trying 20 times or finally made it over the top of that climb or got down that drop without falling. If we could get a few more like you we could have a lot more trail to ride. So I just want to say THANKS to Julianne North, Ken Orlando, Wes Eubank, Jerry and Marsha Hauck, Bill Hoover, Manny Sierra, Ernie and Jacob Wiggins, Tom Parker, Eric Clark, Jeff Bourget, Paul Jones, Ray Loraine, Kenny Dixon, Marcel Aguirre, Merrick Enders, Randy Stice and Thanks to Carrolwood Bicycle Emporium for sending one of their employees to the workday and I think they even paid him. Thats what All bike shops should do. They would not sell any mountain bikes if they didn't have any trails.
Thanks From Art

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
Re: Thanks to our Volunteers
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 07:59:57 AM »
Becca roofing paid me to work out there once! Props to Becca roofing! 8)

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 09:05:56 AM »
Thanks for the pat on the back Art.  But it us We who should be thanking YOU, cause I know you do a lot of work out there when there's no one else around.
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline eclark

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 11:41:03 AM »
  Is it too early to call out the experts again?  The last 2 months I have worked on trimming black trails and keep seeing park regulars riding when I am working.  One saturday a month is really not that much and I keep seeing first timers who are new to the sport at the workdays.  It is hard to build real cool hard options without having the guys who are gonna ride it there helping out, and Art has a bunch of hard options scouted out if we can generate the manpower to build them.  I know some of the guys who normally work are hurt or working other places, so if you ride all the black trails and have always meant to come out for a workday, we can definitely use some help.  And of course, thanks to all that come out and break their backs for the trails, we all appreciate it.

Is becca hiring??

Offline RKL

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 06:00:34 PM »
At the risk of preaching to the choir --

I agree with E.  I've been a card-carrying SWAMPer since June & should be over 20 hours working later this month.  It only takes a weekend or so a month to make a big dent.  I joined SWAMP in large part because of the commitment the group makes to the places we are lucky to ride at.  If I'm lucky, I might also learn something by osmosis during work days.

Remember - nobody likes bitchin'.  But they'll usually at least consider constructive suggestions - particularly if they're written at the bottom of a work day sign in sheet or on the memo line of a donation check.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline northbkr1

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 08:15:54 PM »
So true Guys
 I see the same people on the trails every workday weekend and they never do anything to help. It's a good thing we don't do the same thing. Erick is right, if more people come to the workdays who want to ride harder trails, we will build them. We are going to build both harder and easier trails, it will just take a lot longer to do it unless the people who ride the trails come and help.I'm going to shup up before I say something I shouldn't. Thanks to all of you who really DO want to make a difference and make OUR TRAILS better and to the rest of you keep on riding and enjoy our work.
  I'll be out there cutting the grass on my day off for you.

Offline steve

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 08:43:52 PM »
Thanks to all of you it is well appreciated I will be out with some Bent`s help after the race season
Thanks again,Hey Art can I borrow a dollar?  ;D

Offline northbkr1

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 09:47:50 PM »
Hey Steve
 If you bring BENT's help you can borrow 20 and I will make sure everyone knows Bent's was there. We will even feed you when we finish.
Thanks

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008, 09:54:49 PM »
Erik, I agree bro! There aren't as many advanced riders out there for trail work. We had alot of support to get Gatorback reopened, and alot of those people that showed up were from out of town. The advanced riders need to have a voice, and that voice is showing up for workdays. I haven't made the last few workdays due to work, but a couple of us shouldn't make a difference. A bunch should be there every workday.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline Jim DeLuca

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008, 10:33:20 PM »
I know that getting volunteers for trail work has been a constant battle since 90's, and will continue to be one.  I have no idea why Swamp has not made a requirement of 20 hrs of trail work a year for membership, and also changed the way they run there work days.
Here are a few ideas:

1. The trail boss has a permanent crew to maintain a particular trail system. These crew members would be given specific responsibilities, such as leading trail crews, and assisting with trail design.  (Almost the same principle that the ride guide program uses.)  We all know Lou has been very successful in planning the ride guide schedule, and she always ensures there are plenty of guides available to handle each club ride.
2. New members would be required to complete 20 hrs a year of trail work and would be assigned a trail system of there choosing to complete their requirement.  The trail boss would contact the new members to get them involved.
3. Invite these guys and gals out that pass you by while your doing trail work. or anyone you meet to give up a few hours to help out.  Heck just a couple of days a year from non members would make a huge difference.  Lets be proactive!
4. A partnership with the Ridge Riders?

Anyway just my opinion....smite me if you must.  I blame it all on watching to many presidential debates.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2008, 10:41:12 PM »
If you made trailwork a requirement I bet there would be about 40 members. Not that I disagree with you, but...
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline northbkr1

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2008, 09:41:59 AM »
   We can't and don't want to make anyone do anything they don't want. Working on and building new trails can really be a lot of fun  as I'm sure a lot of you know. The trails are getting more and more crowded every weekend and it's going to get much worse. Alafia sits on 6500 acre, we are only  on about 3 or 400 of it. If more people come to the workdays we can start building more easy and intermidiate trails that we really need and we can also start building harder trails that I marked 2 or 3 years ago that are just waiting for someone to build them. I have told Erik, Chiselchest, SFG and a few other people who come to the workdays I will let them build the harder stuff but it takes more than a couple people (riders who ride the hard stuff) to join them. We have a lot planned for Alafia and Boyette but at takes volunteers who ride those trails to come out and help. I sure the Ridge Riders feel the same way and can use your help also. If half of the people who ride the trails would just go out and help 3 or 4 times a year we could easily add between 5 & 8 miles to Alafia alone. There are 52 weekends a year and 365 days I'm sure some of you can come out for a few of those. We all WIN in the end.
    If you want things to stay the same keep saying thanks as you ride by us on workdays or make a difference and join us one day or the Ridgeriders, Mudcutters, OMBA or anyone who works on the trails you ride. You can be part of something GREAT and meet some really cool people while your making OUR TRAILS better.

Offline Redriderpro

• Redriderpro
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Devinci Atlas carbon 29er
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2008, 09:52:00 AM »
Been there tried that! ( making work days a requirement to be a member of the club )

In my other life I was the President of a 150 member racing club that promoted the Croom Enduro. Usually when it was time to do the trail layout ( 4 to 5 weekends of trail bliss in a place where you could only ride legally once per year for one day) we would have about 6 people show up. (Little did they know, that was the highlight of the year, it was big fun without the pressure of points on-line racing in the best ride area in Florida)

At that event, if you work you can't ride the race, it usually required 10-12 to do the early trail layout and signage and on race day we needed 30-40 people for checkpoints.

These same kind of comments/posts have been going on for 25 years and still exist today.
( many riders/racers not so many workers)

The only thing that has worked (somewhat) is that today if you work the full Enduro support and are racing the series, you will get First place (in you class) points that can be used to replace your worst finish of the year.

At times we had a number of members send in entrys to race our event, which we sent back because they were paid up members. Needless to say they did not remain members.

Bottom line: I don't see any "requirement" working to make people show up and help.

Considering we have so many members and riders(MTB), it should be easier than it is, but considering how many areas we have and how offten we have work days, the turnout we see is good and those numbers would have been fantastic in my moto club.

Thanks to all that show up and do the job!

ps. Yeah I do show up for work days( at other trails) just havent done any at Alafia in a couple of years
(allthough I did put in 100 plus hours one year, back in the early days there)
"Big Dogs Like It Rough!"

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2008, 10:07:44 AM »
I know that getting volunteers for trail work has been a constant battle since 90's, and will continue to be one.  I have no idea why Swamp has not made a requirement of 20 hrs of trail work a year for membership, and also changed the way they run there work days.
Here are a few ideas:

Here are a few ideas:

1. The trail boss has a permanent crew to maintain a particular trail system. These crew members would be given specific responsibilities, such as leading trail crews, and assisting with trail design.  (Almost the same principle that the ride guide program uses.)  We all know Lou has been very successful in planning the ride guide schedule, and she always ensures there are plenty of guides available to handle each club ride. This pretty much already is happening. As more "regular shows" get used to what is planned and expected, they do get to take on certain responsibilities, but remember - too many cooks in the kitchen...Anyway, the workdays are planned and it is all volunteer.  You just do not know who will be consistantly at each workday.  It is great when different trail bosses are at each workday because they can then lead a crew. But hey, it's all volunteerism and we want to ride too!

2. New members would be required to complete 20 hrs a year of trail work and would be assigned a trail system of there choosing to complete their requirement.  The trail boss would contact the new members to get them involved. This is a worthy idea, but when it comes right down to it nothing in life works like a "cookie cutter."  Many people don't have the designated day off, or that is their only day off, so that is why I started the "Adopt-A-Trail" program.  Sadly it has not been embraced by the membership as I had hoped.  It's simple, pick a trail system; contact the Trail Boss and find out what needs to be done - he will know what needs the most work or attention at the particular time and you can do it any day that works for you.  If it's something that needs a Trail Bosses approval or guidance you will have to be flexible, but many times just cleaning up a section relieves the time up on a regular workday.

3. Invite these guys and gals out that pass you by while your doing trail work. or anyone you meet to give up a few hours to help out.  Heck just a couple of days a year from non members would make a huge difference.  Lets be proactive! This is done often.  I would go so far as to say it happens all of the time.  For every 10 or 15 people I say this to I get like one or two on occasion.  The ones that build the trails and maintain them are the ones who want to.  Very rarely in the off season of racing do I see those guys lift a finger to build trails with the exception of a minimal few.

4. A partnership with the Ridge Riders? Occasionally this happened.  OMBA has asked for SWAMP's help in the past and I am proud to say SWAMP members heeded the call and helped their club when asked. But the thing is, it is mostly the SAME people who work our own trails, and we have a lot of work to do ourselves.  If every workday had 20 to 30 people we would not be building trails in the summer heat.

Anyway just my opinion....smite me if you must.  I blame it all on watching to many presidential debates.

Good points Jim, hopefully more folks decide to give one or two days a month.

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2008, 10:21:17 AM »
All great points and ideas.  I just want to comment on two things.

1) Adopt a trail - I for one did not sign up for any particular trail.  I am a member of the Patrol Group at Alafia, Boyette, and WTA.  When I ride there and see something worth reporting (incidents, great trail work, trail need of maintenance) then I fill out my report and send it in.  I also cc the trail bosses specially if is the week before the weekend workday.  I hope more patrol members do this.  But again, I hope they send reports when the hours they rode were WORTH reporting.  I just explained how I report mine.  Doing a ride for fun is not reporting "patrol" hours IMO.

2) Racers -  Hmmm... i been guilty of calling them out myself.  So many things can be said here.  However, I heard Art's idea over the weekend and I think is a great one.  Art's idea was to approach LBS and letting them know that when they sponsor a racer to ask them to include trail maintenance volunteers hrs per year in their sponsorship contract.  This works in their benefit in that more trails are well maintained to bring out more riders to ride them.  Which in return, more bike get purchased and get brought back in for repairs.  In addition to get the LBS name out as volunteer time.  The sponsor racer/rider can use the bike shop's name when volunteering.  that was done by CBE as ARt pointed out above. 

Excellent points by all. 

Advertisement: