Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Bring your light & don't leave anything of value in your car while you ride!!!!  (Read 1666 times)

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
Just a reminder to all of us doing late evening rides.  It gets dark by 7:30pm or earlier if is cloudy.  If you ride out of the MB side (hole n da fence) by 6:00pm with a group, you may not make it out by dark.  You might make it out but the last two Tuesday night rides, we have had incidents were we should've carry our lights to go back and pick up lost or injured riders.  Bring your lights if you think you are cutting it close.

More importantly.... I can't believe how many times hear this being said somewhere... do NOT leave anything of value visible in your car.  Last night, we had three cars broken into.  All between 6pm and 7pm.  Laptops, wallets, clothes, and nice bags are now gone.  Carry your keys and wallet with you.  Bring only the minimum to the ride.  We have seen this happen at ALL sides of WTA now.  Probably at all the parks and at all times of the day in this area.  It is not common but it seems like we hear a story about once a month now.

Even if your car wasn't broken into, check your locks as they may have been "poped" or attempted to be broken into.  Specially if you were there last night at the TNR.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 09:08:53 AM by SandPine »

Anthem1

This is really starting to become a problem :P Do you think cars would be safer in the Trout Creek parking lot? I know the Rangers make regular runs thru there but I am not sure there is enough parking for a good turn out. Maybe we can fill a cooler full of beer and fire up the grill and set a couple of sentry's at the hole to thwart future breakins :)

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
This is really starting to become a problem :P Do you think cars would be safer in the Trout Creek parking lot? I know the Rangers make regular runs thru there but I am not sure there is enough parking for a good turn out. Maybe we can fill a cooler full of beer and fire up the grill and set a couple of sentry's at the hole to thwart future breakins :)
Maybe a bit safer but it won't matter.  If you leave something of value and someone wants it, they are going to get it.  It has happened at EVERY parking lot at WTA from what I hear.  I don't mean to give WTA a bad rep.  The point is don't leave anything of value that you can not do without.  Someone will get it, if they want it.   This has happend at other parks too.  Maybe not as much at Alafia but it has happened at Croom and Boyette.  Even on Sunday day rides. 

Offline jimn213

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: is fast, but I'm not...
Two sundays ago I parked at Hole in the Fence in the morning.  When I came back later there was a little Honda Fit parked next to my car.  Could tell it was a girl's car, well, because it had girly stuff in it.

What it also had in it was a GPS device, a radar detector (both in plain sight,  stuck to the windshield), some sort of gymbag, cooler, a bunch of electronics accessories stuff down in the console cubby, and what looked like a purse on the passenger-side floor!  There was nobody else around for 5-10 minutes,  and how long does it take to smash-and-grab?  10 seconds?

I guess people just think that these parks are safe and secure, but I'm also willing to bet that she leaves stuff in her car everywhere she parks.

I left a note on her windshield, saying something about how nice her stuff was and how lucky she was that I am not a criminal.  Also mentioned that there have been break-ins there and she should not leave all her stuff out in the open or even bring it to the park....

Felt like I did a good deed...
Count not him among your friends who will retail your privacies to the world.
- Publilius Syrus (1st guy ever on a mailing list)

Offline Barb S

• First Bike
A car that was parked at Trout Creek parking lot was also broken into yesterday earlier in the day when the ranger was making a run on the morris bridge side.  Last week they had break ins at Wilderness, a ranger was able to tail one suspect and got the license (but the car or tags was probably stolen). A few weeks ago, our truck was broken into at sun coast parking lot at 52 (we had no valables in the cab but it still sucks to spend money to replace a window).  Do not assume some lots are safer.  I keep my valables locked in my glove box. 

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Gnarvester of SSorrow
I'm assuming everyone is calling the police to report these events?  Enough of these calls and maybe they'll step up HCSO presence in the area. 

Offline ECFoecking

• Amateur Billy Goat
A couple of my sons and I rode the loop from Trout Creek a couple of Sundays back and there were sheriffs parked at the entry to the Trout Creek and Hole in the Fence parking lots for a while.  I am not sure it was in response to the break ins or other.  Obviously, if there have been break ins in the last 3 weeks, it was not effective.  Sadly, it is a venue that makes stealing very easy.  Come in looking to hike or bike, hang out looking like you belong and do your thing once it is clear.  It really sucks when folks take what we work so hard to buy legally.
Eric

Words can be your friends if you choose them wisely

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
Maybe a bit safer but it won't matter.  If you leave something of value and someone wants it, they are going to get it.  It has happened at EVERY parking lot at WTA from what I hear.  I don't mean to give WTA a bad rep.  The point is don't leave anything of value that you can not do without.  Someone will get it, if they want it.   This has happend at other parks too.  Maybe not as much at Alafia but it has happened at Croom and Boyette.  Even on Sunday day rides. 

I think it was Forrest who had a car stolen from the Boyette parking lot? :-\

I take my wallet and phone with me, and usually I leave the car unlocked. If they are just looking for stuff, then fine the only thing they will find in my car is old eighties punk cd's and empty water bottles. They won't break anything if the car is unlocked.

If they want to steal the car, they will get it if it is locked or not.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 08:38:08 PM by Gregg »

Offline Wesley Chiu

• First Bike
Gregg,

What if they sit in it and make it dirty?

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
Gregg,

What if they sit in it and make it dirty?

I do that!! After a 3 hour ride, it can get pretty nasty in there.

Offline wildercountry

• First Bike
back on 8-4-08 my truck locks were poped at flatwood at the entry station.  plus 2 other cars where broken into.  they caught the guy and he is already out of jail.  he got time served and community service.  the lock replacement was only $450.  at the time this happenend i only had my truck for 4 months. 

after this happend to my truck, i contact a county commisonr about security at the parks.  they refered it over to parks and recs.  i recommend installing a couple of cameras and dvr to watch the parking lot.  they had gotten a couple of price quotes it ranged from $3,500 - $4,300 for a complete system.

now when i pull into the parking at flatwood i make note of what time i arrived, when i went out for my ride and when i get back.  those where a couple of the questions the cops asked me when the locks were poped.  i also see who else is around the parking lot.  i anknowledge or speak to the others in the parking lot.  another thing i do is with windows shade.  i may or may not put it up.  it could be sign that if a window shade is up the person plans on being gone for a while. or with the window shade down the person plans on only being gone a few minutes.  however teh window shade does help by not allowing someone to see threw your windsheld.   

one other tip dont leave anything in the bed of a truck either.someone can just walk over and reach into it and take it.

Advertisement: