Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: carbon seat posts  (Read 2904 times)

Offline chainslap

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Chainslap
  • My Bike: Fuel EX 9.9 29er
carbon seat posts
« on: October 17, 2008, 01:25:58 PM »
When it comes to handlebars, most would agree that carbon bars absorb more shock than alumimum.  That shock is absorbed from bearing weight over a horizontal run of about 10 inches of bar between the stem and one's hand.  That being said, does a carbon seat post have better dampening properties than an aluminum post?  My initial thoughts are that since the load is vertical on the tube, the material will have less effect since it should be more rigid on this axis.  Has anyone ridden the same bike/seat combo with both types of posts?

Offline Pariah

• Cycling Sherpa
Re: carbon seat posts
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 01:28:53 PM »
I have.  I did not notice a difference. This on my Marin F/S xc ride.
WARNING  This document may contain technical data whose export is restricted by the Arms Export Control Act (Title 22, U.S.C., Sec 2778, et seq.) or the Export Administration Act of 1979, as amended (Title 50, U.S.C., App. 2401 et seq.). Violation of these export laws are subject to criminal penalty

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 01:38:38 PM »
When it comes to handlebars, most would agree that carbon bars absorb more shock than alumimum.  That shock is absorbed from bearing weight over a horizontal run of about 10 inches of bar between the stem and one's hand.  That being said, does a carbon seat post have better dampening properties than an aluminum post?  My initial thoughts are that since the load is vertical on the tube, the material will have less effect since it should be more rigid on this axis.  Has anyone ridden the same bike/seat combo with both types of posts?

Actually carbon fiber is not shock absorbing but vibration dampening.  The benefit, other than weight loss, is the vibration transferred from the bike - i.e. ground (pavement), shock, frame, stem, is absorbed through the dampening qualities of the carbon fiber.  This benefits the rider in less fatigue on long rides because most of those jarring vibrations are reduced to make for a more comfortable ride.  Shock absorption is obtained through the looseness of the bodies joints (allowing oneself to flex with the motion) and the shocks on the bike.

Offline KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Smite master!
    • Raymond James Financial Services
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 02:40:15 PM »

Actually carbon fiber is not shock absorbing but vibration dampening.  The benefit, other than weight loss, is the vibration transferred from the bike - i.e. ground (pavement), shock, frame, stem, is absorbed through the dampening qualities of the carbon fiber.  This benefits the rider in less fatigue on long rides because most of those jarring vibrations are reduced to make for a more comfortable ride.  Shock absorption is obtained through the looseness of the bodies joints (allowing oneself to flex with the motion) and the shocks on the bike.

On that note though, I worry. I have been reading up on the Havoc Easton Monkeylite bar and it said something to the course of not being able to work with bar ends. Meaning the clamp on handlebar grips I use, would crack the tubing. Is my finding warranted or no?
We continuously seek feedback from you as to how we can improve our policies and procedures since our primary goal is to act in partnership with you. If you have any questions or need to report any problems on the SWAMP forum, please send me a PM and I will get back with you ASAP.

Offline chainslap

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Chainslap
  • My Bike: Fuel EX 9.9 29er
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 02:43:14 PM »
I use clamp on grips with monkeylite xc bars with no prob, just watch your tork.

Offline KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Smite master!
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 03:04:06 PM »
Do you ever worry that your handlebars are going to snap off after doing a drop or perhaps after smashing into a tree because you leaned the bike too far over? I tend to smash my knuckles/grips into trees b/c I cut the corner so early.
We continuously seek feedback from you as to how we can improve our policies and procedures since our primary goal is to act in partnership with you. If you have any questions or need to report any problems on the SWAMP forum, please send me a PM and I will get back with you ASAP.

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 03:22:43 PM »
Carbon bars are pretty sturdy, but not indestructable.  I snapped a set of Easton Monkey lite bars but I basically ran head on into a wall with my bike at about 15-20mph.  If you are doing drops, stick to aluminum, but for basic xc riding, carbon is great.

Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Smite master!
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 03:33:45 PM »
I bet that made things interesting when your handlebar fell off.... How was the end result of that collison?

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008, 04:12:52 PM »
I broke a Scott carbon bar years ago but have been riding a monkey lite xc bar for 8 years now with no problems. I did a fair share of hucking with them too.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2008, 04:29:41 PM »
Do you ever worry that your handlebars are going to snap off after doing a drop or perhaps after smashing into a tree because you leaned the bike too far over? I tend to smash my knuckles/grips into trees b/c I cut the corner so early.

As I understand it if you break a carbon bar,then  an aluminum bar would have either been bent beyond use or broken as well.  Bar ends are not ideal for carbon bars, but can be used if torqued properly.

Offline jdk

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • I LIKE BIKES
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2008, 04:38:53 PM »
I'm going to have to agree with Garry here. If you get into a collision bad enough to break a set of carbon bars an aluminum equivalent would have been severely damaged as well. After feeling the vibration damping difference between aluminum and carbon, even if I broke a set of carbon bars I would replace them with another set of carbon bars. The difference is very noticeable.

EDIT: I don't have anything to add to the seatpost discussion, sorry  :-\

^Me, while riding a Turner.

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2008, 05:53:19 PM »
I bet that made things interesting when your handlebar fell off.... How was the end result of that collison?

This was the result:

And this:

Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline bikehard

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2008, 06:48:23 PM »
BILL!!! THANKS FOR THE VISUAL!! I'M so HUNGRY NOW! ;D
2008 Turner 5 Spot - 28lbs of Squish!

Offline jdk

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • I LIKE BIKES
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2008, 07:02:01 PM »
I just had a beef  and  cheese quesadilla

^Me, while riding a Turner.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2008, 07:16:03 PM »
I love my carbon bars, wouldn't run anything else. I figure if I haven't broken them on my SS as hard as I pull on them they are good to go! Carbon seatpost on the otherhand, I just don't trust. I know they work for some people, but I'm pushing 230lbs, I'll keep my Thompson. ;)
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Advertisement: