Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Bradenton & Sarasota area riders  (Read 7124 times)

Offline J. Ryan

• Cycling Sherpa
Bradenton & Sarasota area riders
« on: October 17, 2008, 03:07:04 PM »
Hey, My wife and I live in NW Bradenton and would like to get to know a few more riders from the Bradenton - Sarasota area. I know there are a few peeps from this area in the forum but I'm just wondering how many there are. I'd like to get a group of us together for a ride or BBQ or both sometime. Let me know who you are and when and where you like to ride. Maybe we can plan an outing.

Offline MT

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • The rider formerly known as mtbker1224
    • Escape the Daily Grind
Re: Bradenton & Sarasota area riders
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 04:51:43 PM »
Wut up Tread?

I live here locally in the Bradenton area (Palmetto to be exact). My buddies and I ride Boyette, Alafia, Loyce Harper, and Santos on a regular basis. We have a crew of about 5 riders (two from Palmetto / Parrish, one from Bradenton, and two from St. Pete), and we're out most every weekend. I guess you could say we are more advanced riders; been at it for about 6 years now, but we are far from XC race hounds. We'll be trying to get in about 25 miles at Boyette this weekend; need to get down some base miles for the upcoming Tour De San Felasco and the Croom 35/50. We ride SS from time to time as well. Are you pretty much a geared FS rider? Drop me a PM some time if you want to ride, as we'd love to have you along.

Adios

Offline Jeff White

• SWAMP Club Advisor
  • Amateur Billy Goat
  • Favorite Trail: MagicIsland
  • My Bike: Specialized SJ 29er
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 05:04:29 PM »
My wonderful partner Alicia and I moved to Bradenton (66th St. West) in July and are looking to join up with others to bike during the week (we are early retired) and on the weekends. Call or email anytime and we can car pool or meet at the trails. We love to tent camp, so are always up for multi-day excursions with evening BBQs.

Jeff & Alicia

jeff8white@gmail.com
1-727-518-4003

Offline RKL

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 05:34:35 PM »
I live in Sarasota & have been riding w/ SWAMP for about 6 months.  For more technical riding, I go up to Alafia and Boyette.  Closer to home, Sarasota County's Carlton and Deer Prairie Creek preserves near Venice have rideable double track that goes and goes.  Its flat and boring - unless you like pine trees and palmettos - but it's a way to get some miles in.  I've probably only seen 4 people out there in 10 - 15 rides, so it's a good place to get away from the hassles of life.  At Carlton, there is an out and back on a powerline grade that's about 18 miles round trip.    I've started doing it with another out and back loop at Deer Prairie Creek that get's the ride to about 30.  When I ride out there, I tend to average between 8 - 12 mph, depending on how soft the trail is - but there's no sugar sand.

I'm also interested to meet more local SWAMPER & would be willing to consider car pooling to work days and club rides farther north - like Santos and Croom, as a way to save a little $ on gas.

Ray

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008, 06:51:26 AM »
I live in Sarasota & have been riding w/ SWAMP for about 6 months.  For more technical riding, I go up to Alafia and Boyette.  Closer to home, Sarasota County's Carlton and Deer Prairie Creek preserves near Venice have rideable double track that goes and goes.  Its flat and boring - unless you like pine trees and palmettos - but it's a way to get some miles in.  I've probably only seen 4 people out there in 10 - 15 rides, so it's a good place to get away from the hassles of life.  At Carlton, there is an out and back on a powerline grade that's about 18 miles round trip.    I've started doing it with another out and back loop at Deer Prairie Creek that get's the ride to about 30.  When I ride out there, I tend to average between 8 - 12 mph, depending on how soft the trail is - but there's no sugar sand.

I'm also interested to meet more local SWAMPER & would be willing to consider car pooling to work days and club rides farther north - like Santos and Croom, as a way to save a little $ on gas.

Ray

There is a small section of single track at the Carlton now as well. It is right off the powerline on the north side. I believe trail marker 10. It goes off to the east and has a small loop at the end where you turn and come back. It basically follows the power line. There is another two trail that it runs into and you can take that back to the powerline if you wanted. The section is comparable to SST at Boyette.
My bike is more than a toy; it's my vessel.

Offline obloguy

• First Bike
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 09:03:32 AM »
Hi,

I live in Bradenton close to 14th Street W. area.
I am 44 and ride mostly a singlespeed at Alafia.
ex MTB racer. Now ride for fun at a much slower pace than before.
Used to do alot of roadbike riding in both areas and have turned my ex MTB race bike into a commuter.
Actually, i am heading out to Alafia right now!  :)

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008, 09:55:57 AM »
dont let obloguy fool you he is extremely fast! :o welcome to the board!

Offline curt4ar

• First Bike
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 09:29:52 AM »
Great thread! Thanks for starting it!
Still pretty new to the area (and to mtb), near 64(Manatee) & I-75.
Been to Alifia a couple times and Boyett once. Been to Santos a few times when I lived in Ocala. Never made it to Razorback before it closed. I'm not a fast rider, but still love it.
I am definitely up for group rides/bbq/carpool/whatever. Would like to find some local spots as well, even if they aren't as technical as Alifia or Boyett, to get in some week day rides. With daylight getting shorter, anything too much of a drive would be out.

Offline J. Ryan

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 10:53:57 AM »
Hey everybody, Thanks for replying! Now I'd like to see if we can set a date for a ride and bbq. I know we aren't all at the same level riders and probably won't all be able to ride together but maybe we can meet up somewhere, ride for a while (not necessarily together), and have a cookout afterwards. Any suggestions on a date and place?

Offline MT

• Clipless Mountain Goat
    • Escape the Daily Grind
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 04:28:17 PM »
If I may, I suggest that we plan a BBQ right at Alafia on a Saturday or Sunday. We can all agree to bring some grub (to share) post ride. There almost alway seems to be a picnic table and a grill available. This way we can all begin a ride together and then hang out afterwards. I'm pretty sure that another group has had a get together like this in the past, and it was a great success. I'm good for most any weekend, so let me know.

Offline J. Ryan

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2008, 07:38:07 AM »
If I may, I suggest that we plan a BBQ right at Alafia on a Saturday or Sunday. We can all agree to bring some grub (to share) post ride. There almost alway seems to be a picnic table and a grill available. This way we can all begin a ride together and then hang out afterwards. I'm pretty sure that another group has had a get together like this in the past, and it was a great success. I'm good for most any weekend, so let me know.

This sounds like a good plan to me. I know there is a race at Alafia this Saturday (Oct. 26th) so we should plan around that. I'm also up for just about any weekend.

As far as carpooling goes, I have a tuck with ability to mount 4 bikes. If my wife comes a long I can take 2 extras. If she doesn't, I can take 3.

Offline RKL

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2008, 05:47:58 PM »
I'd be in for such a get together - unfortunately I'm being shipped up to north Florida for work for an undetermined period of time.  Hope to catch up with everybody in the near future.

Offline J. Ryan

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2008, 07:34:04 AM »
I'd be in for such a get together - unfortunately I'm being shipped up to north Florida for work for an undetermined period of time.  Hope to catch up with everybody in the near future.

Yes, definatley catch up with us sometime. What part of North Florida are you heading to?

Offline MT

• Clipless Mountain Goat
    • Escape the Daily Grind
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2008, 09:12:49 AM »
Greetings fellow Bradenton / Sarasota riders,

Two of us local boys will be riding at Boyette on Sunday; plan to meet a buddy from Lithia there. We'll ride pretty much every trail in an attempt to get in a total of 25 miles or so. The pace will be slow - moderate. Anyone is more than welcome to join us. Details as to what time to meet to follow :-\; shoot me a pm if you're interested.

L

Offline J. Ryan

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2008, 12:12:59 PM »
Greetings fellow Bradenton / Sarasota riders,

Two of us local boys will be riding at Boyette on Sunday; plan to meet a buddy from Lithia there. We'll ride pretty much every trail in an attempt to get in a total of 25 miles or so. The pace will be slow - moderate. Anyone is more than welcome to join us. Details as to what time to meet to follow :-\; shoot me a pm if you're interested.

L

If it's early morning I won't be able to. I'm sure I'll be in rough shape due to the Rays game on Saturday night. I'll definitely go if it's an afternoon ride though. Let me know.

Advertisement: