Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Flatwoods 50?  (Read 5014 times)

Offline Rockhopper

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
Flatwoods 50?
« on: October 18, 2008, 08:03:35 PM »
Hey -- Will there be a 2nd annual Flatwoods 50 this January?

Anthem1

Re: Flatwoods 50?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 08:09:25 PM »
Looks like it is going to happen :)

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 09:46:57 PM »
Almost certainly, I know that there was talk of making it a bit more organized this year than last. Garry did a great job of putting that together. I believe in between doses of oxycodone, he is planning that one. ;)

Offline J. Ryan

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 12:03:53 PM »
When would this take place?

Offline Rockhopper

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 09:59:49 PM »
Hey Garry,

Are you going to list the trail directions in advance like you did last year so we can begin to put it to memory? I don't know about others, but I found that very helpful. I still needed to carry the map in my hand, but at least I had some of it set to memory. Thanks

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 10:33:31 PM »
Hey Garry,

Are you going to list the trail directions in advance like you did last year so we can begin to put it to memory? I don't know about others, but I found that very helpful. I still needed to carry the map in my hand, but at least I had some of it set to memory. Thanks

Yeah...What he said!

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 11:19:46 PM »
Lap 1
After leaving Trout Creek parking, up to the levy, be sure to hit all of the single
track.  Right after going across the river on the levy drop into the single track
at 47. When you exit the single track at 41 go back up on the levy (skip the Aluminum bridge), and continue on to Squiggy, exiting Squiggy right, go past the bridge, enter right into Panther.
If you over shoot Sguiggy and make it to the paved entrance from B. B. Downs
just turn right and pick up Panther on your right after the bridge.(Same mileage.)
From there just follow the singletrack marker posts in decending order all the
way around to Morris Bridge and back to Trout Creek parking.

Entering Morris Bridge trails at 17 and Heart Break Ridge, follow into
washboard across the powerlines and left into Indian.  You can also follow the main trail instead of Heart Break for the same mileage. Left to Indian, right at the middle of Indian, right on Grandpa, left into Tecno Pig, right onto Piglet, left on Hog Wild staying right, then left at 14 on Main, left at 13 Hog Wild, right on Piglet then left into the split of Indian, right on Indian and right again at Main 8, right at 9 Grandpa, left into Palmetto, right at Main, left at13 Enchanted, right at 12 Main, right at 10 Grandpa, right onto Sinkhole, exit sinkhole left at 5 Speedway. Right once you hit the sand into Misery, exit Misery left into Gator Bait, then left onto Misery again.  Exit Misery right to Kiosk and follow the trail back to Trout Creek parking.

Lap 2
Coming off of Main Trail from 4 to 5, then right at the kiosk to Gator Bait,
and left on Misery, to Gator Bait a second time to 7, left to 6 then 5 and right onto Sinkhole; then left to Grandpa, then right on Main and left to Indian.  Left on the halfway point of Indian, then left again on Grandpa to Main; right at 10 to left on 12; right at 13 and left on 11 Palmetto.  Left on Grandpa, right at halfway cut to Indian and left on Indian towards power lines.  Then left on Grandpa, right on Piglet, or Techno Pig; left on Hog Wild going straight to Main 13, then right on
Main 13 to 15 near the power line connecting to Washboard and Heartbreak Ridge back across the river to Flatwoods.  For the same mileage riders can take the parallel red main trail instead of Heart Break Ridge. Continue across Hillsborough River and Morris Bridge to Flatwoods singletrack and Trout Creek to parking and the finish.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 06:25:12 PM »
Lap 1
After leaving Trout Creek parking, up to the levy, be sure to hit all of the single
track.  Right after going across the river on the levy drop into the single track
at 47. When you exit the single track at 41 go back up on the levy (skip the Aluminum bridge), and continue on to Squiggy, exiting Squiggy right, go past the bridge, enter right into Panther.
If you over shoot Sguiggy and make it to the paved entrance from B. B. Downs
just turn right and pick up Panther on your right after the bridge.(Same mileage.)
From there just follow the singletrack marker posts in decending order all the
way around to Morris Bridge and back to Trout Creek parking.

Entering Morris Bridge trails at 17 and Heart Break Ridge, follow into
washboard across the powerlines and left into Indian.  You can also follow the main trail instead of Heart Break for the same mileage. Left to Indian, right at the middle of Indian, right on Grandpa, left into Tecno Pig, right onto Piglet, left on Hog Wild staying right, then left at 14 on Main, left at 13 Hog Wild, right on Piglet then left into the split of Indian, right on Indian and right again at Main 8, right at 9 Grandpa, left into Palmetto, right at Main, left at13 Enchanted, right at 12 Main, right at 10 Grandpa, right onto Sinkhole, exit sinkhole left at 5 Speedway. Right once you hit the sand into Misery, exit Misery left into Gator Bait, then left onto Misery again.  Exit Misery right to Kiosk and follow the trail back to Trout Creek parking.

Lap 2
Coming off of Main Trail from 4 to 5, then right at the kiosk to Gator Bait,
and left on Misery, to Gator Bait a second time to 7, left to 6 then 5 and right onto Sinkhole; then left to Grandpa, then right on Main and left to Indian.  Left on the halfway point of Indian, then left again on Grandpa to Main; right at 10 to left on 12; right at 13 and left on 11 Palmetto.  Left on Grandpa, right at halfway cut to Indian and left on Indian towards power lines.  Then left on Grandpa, right on Piglet, or Techno Pig; left on Hog Wild going straight to Main 13, then right on
Main 13 to 15 near the power line connecting to Washboard and Heartbreak Ridge back across the river to Flatwoods.  For the same mileage riders can take the parallel red main trail instead of Heart Break Ridge. Continue across Hillsborough River and Morris Bridge to Flatwoods singletrack and Trout Creek to parking and the finish.

Will you be marking it off Garry? If so when?

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 08:14:34 PM »

Will you be marking it off Garry? If so when?

Hah - no.  The whole trick is - how good is your ability to follow a map so you get the correct mileage.  Remember, don't play by the rules and your friends can squirt their GU packages on your windshield.   ;)

Offline Rockhopper

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 10:54:16 PM »
On the first loop after leaving the main water station, Eubanks Parkway or the main trail?

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2009, 04:33:25 PM »
are there any non fast people riding this?

I am still getting back into it and want to do the 50 but the cardio is less than it was before the crash

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2009, 05:36:32 PM »
are there any non fast people riding this?

I am still getting back into it and want to do the 50 but the cardio is less than it was before the crash

Hey Jonathan,
There are a bout 5 out of the 30 signed up that I would call "fast" riders.  The rest land somewhere between strong "B" to "B-" riders.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2009, 05:57:58 PM »
Good - is the map posted yet or is it a day of race thing?

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2009, 06:10:36 PM »

Not a race ;D.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2009, 07:27:24 PM »

Not a race ;D.

I am always racing...to not get dropped..haha

Advertisement: