Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: School me on brakes please  (Read 1096 times)

Offline Nullifier

• First Bike
School me on brakes please
« on: October 19, 2008, 05:22:31 PM »
Ok so I have a G.F. hoo koo e koo and the front v brake is just a constant issue. What would I need to convert to disc. I asume new everything, wheel, hub and brake assembly. I assume the same brake actuater could be used unless it is an hydraulic set up? Please school me o master of the single trak.

My v brake has been adjusted severad times in the past 2 weeks by me and a pro but it keeps finding its way onto my rim. As a result one side of the brake the pad is just about gone. I am getting sick of this issue. I was down at long boat key on saturday and ended up having to back it off to the point where my front brake was non functional to get back home. Fortunetly this was just a "fun ride" on the paved bike path.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
Re: School me on brakes please
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 05:52:54 PM »
Ok so I have a G.F. hoo koo e koo and the front v brake is just a constant issue. What would I need to convert to disc. I asume new everything, wheel, hub and brake assembly. I assume the same brake actuater could be used unless it is an hydraulic set up? Please school me o master of the single trak.

My v brake has been adjusted severad times in the past 2 weeks by me and a pro but it keeps finding its way onto my rim. As a result one side of the brake the pad is just about gone. I am getting sick of this issue. I was down at long boat key on saturday and ended up having to back it off to the point where my front brake was non functional to get back home. Fortunetly this was just a "fun ride" on the paved bike path.

Unless you are just dead set on switching over to disc brakes it may be time to upgrade your V Brakes.  I have been running V-Brakes for a long time and find them to do a fine job for me.  I did replace my V-Brakes on my GF Sugar about a year or so ago and have been happy with them. 

Disc add weight per wheel - about 3/4 to a pound each - and there is the expense of needing disc specific hubs.  Sometimes the same levers and cables can be used on mechanical disc as are used on V-Brakes, but if you go hydraulic you'll have to swap out the whole shabang.  Also be sure that your wheel is not out of round.

I also have a relatively new wheel set on my bike that is not disc ready, so I have no incentive to switch to disc at this time.  Like I said, everything works fine for me and I tackle the trails pretty good.  Point is - there is nothing wrong with V-Brakes in general; there are some that are better than others, just as in disc brakes.
So, if it's disc that you want to upgrade to, and your frame and fork are setup for them to mount to it, then expect about $75 to $125 per brake and at least $150 to $200 for new wheels.  Minimum to switch = $450 to $650 if you do everything yourself.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 05:55:19 PM by Garry »

Advertisement: