Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Superhero AR elite  (Read 2429 times)

Offline BeerCan

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Turner Sultan (V1)
Superhero AR elite
« on: October 20, 2008, 11:50:40 AM »
Next up for me is the Superhero AR http://www.pangeaadventureracing.com/race.php?r=14
Coming just 1 week after pine log I am sitting here wondering WTF was I thinking when I signed up for 2 events in a row.  I have barley been back in the saddle and I have jumped in with both feet.  Oh well I guess the maxim (idiom ?) Incres* animi, virescit volnere virtus [Aulus Gellius]. ("The spirits increase, vigor grows through a wound.")   ;)
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." Frank Zappa
------------------------------------

Offline BeerCan

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
Re: Superhero AR elite
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 10:36:13 PM »
Well this was a tough one for my team.  Race started with a small 6 mile bike (to break up the field) and we did well in that. 

Next came the Canoe.  :-[ :'(  We had a horrible time.  We nick named our canoe the titanic because we dumped the canoe twice, our dry bags leaked and we soaked our dry clothes.  We also managed to destroy 2 cell phones.  Of course the second time we dumped it the river was deep and we had a hard time getting back in.  It must have been the only deep section because throughout the paddle we were constantly getting hung up on submerged logs.  I mean really hung up, like we would high center the canoe.  Of course my svelte 250lbs had nothing to do with that.  ;)  Anyway paddle ended up being around 13 miles but it seemed a whole lot more.  I was very glad to get out of that damn river. 

Next was the trek and I knew I was in trouble because I had no dry socks.  It was around 15 miles and I actually did pretty good for about 12 of them but then my feet just fell apart.  I could hardly walk, and my pace slowed dramatically.  At around mile 14 we had to swim in the spring.  It was actually really nice, the water was just cold enough to numb my feet and the water was crystal clear.  Once we got out of the spring reality set back in and I did a slow hobble to the transition area.

Now came the real bike leg and the part where my team usually makes up some ground.  I was changing my shoes for this part and I took one look at my feet and I knew my race was done.  The bottoms of my feet are destroyed so we pulled out of the race and called it a day.  I was pretty bummed but we were pretty far behind after the trek so it did not make much of a difference anyway.

So now I can hardly walk.  Nothing at this point can make my feet stop hurting.  I tried motrin, beer and bourbon  ;D.  Hopefully they will heal quick because I have another small race next weekend.   :-\

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 10:41:50 PM »
this is the fun stuff you are trying to get me to do?

heal quick buddy

Online chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 07:51:15 AM »
damn
1 sounds knarly! Good luck with those ground beef feet. :o

Offline Big Hooper

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: SIR9. One bike, one gear
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 10:20:30 AM »
That sounds awesome( the race layout) ...... I would definitely love to try the AR events. I just cant seem to get the right motivation to get started - no teammates and just a lack of knowledge of event schedules. I keep thinking everyone doing these is in tip top shape and I will be left in the dust. FYI I was in the Infantry  years ago and can navigate still ( I think) and was used to long treks. Working on my endurance riding on the bike, but need to get back to the running game. I am layed up for a month now but would like to get hooked up in this area of racing.
wherever you go.....there you are.
Just a big Hooper!

Offline BeerCan

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008, 10:45:14 AM »
That sounds awesome( the race layout) ...... I would definitely love to try the AR events. I just cant seem to get the right motivation to get started - no teammates and just a lack of knowledge of event schedules. I keep thinking everyone doing these is in tip top shape and I will be left in the dust. FYI I was in the Infantry  years ago and can navigate still ( I think) and was used to long treks. Working on my endurance riding on the bike, but need to get back to the running game. I am layed up for a month now but would like to get hooked up in this area of racing.
They are a lot of fun.  Even with the canoe issues we had we were laughing the whole time.  I approach these races with a very laid back attitude.  A lot of the racers are in tip top shape, but a lot of us are also weekend warriors.  I do it for my own enjoyment and not so much for the "wining".  Navigation on some races is pretty straight forward, other races have a few navigational challenges but that adds to the fun.  A great way to see if you like these types of events is to do one of the short ones (2-4 hours).  If you want to try a longer one you could always hook up with our team.  We are not very competitive but we usually have a good time.

Offline Big Hooper

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: SIR9. One bike, one gear
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2008, 12:03:21 PM »
Sweet, thanks for the invite. I am going to try and get into this stuff soon.
wherever you go.....there you are.
Just a big Hooper!

Advertisement: