Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Prescription sunglasses  (Read 1644 times)

Offline Rockhopper

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
Prescription sunglasses
« on: October 20, 2008, 09:19:08 PM »
Hello -- My wife is looking for prescription sunglasses that she can wear riding. Right now she wears her regular glasses, which don't offer as much protection and are clear lenses. Anyone had any luck getting decent sunglasses made locally that are suitable for riding? How about on the Internet? Thanks.

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
Re: Prescription sunglasses
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 07:41:36 AM »
You can try opticsplanet.com.  Plenty of selection.  I got mine from WileyX.com, but they no longer do prescriptions online, however, there are a few local opticians that are authorized dealers for them.  I also got impact resistant lenses for mine.  If those 2 options don't work, wherever she got her glasses should be able to get prescription sunglasses for you.
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline ECFoecking

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 11:31:55 AM »
Not sure if you are looking for anything special or not but pretty much any optometrist can have prescription glasses made for you.  I used to have racquetball goggles made with my prescription.  Obviously, you could make lenses to fit any frame.  The other thing I used to do before I started to wear contacts was to get a large and durable frame and put Transition lenses in them.  That worked out nice while riding as they would adapt to the sunlight and lighten or darken.  I could understand any regular optometrist and option may be a bit more costly but the simple story is the eye is pretty fragile and there aren't a lot of options if one or both are damaged.  Is it worth taking the chance?
Eric

Words can be your friends if you choose them wisely

Offline David Metzendorf

• First Bike
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 04:50:44 PM »
I have perscription Oakleys,  They are expensive but have withstood the test of time.  Several spils and still in one piece.  I live in Winter Haven and a local place has the Oakley contract.  Good Luck

Offline RKL

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 05:44:39 PM »
I've got prescription sunglasses that I got from my regular optometrist.  I got them as dark as I could.  I can't/don't wear them when I ride because I can't see a lot of roots, etc. in the darker sections of shaded trails with them on.  The type of lens shading you end up getting would probably influence this. 

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 08:06:34 PM »
I've got prescription sunglasses that I got from my regular optometrist.  I got them as dark as I could.  I can't/don't wear them when I ride because I can't see a lot of roots, etc. in the darker sections of shaded trails with them on.  The type of lens shading you end up getting would probably influence this. 

As far as cycling glasses go the rule of thumb is road biking = dark; mountain biking = light tint.

Offline trauma_alert

• First Bike
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 10:06:10 PM »
I know that Tifosi does prescriptions.....http://tifosioptics.com/

Offline jjoohhnn

• First Bike
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 01:32:32 AM »
Prescription sunglasses get expensive real quick.

I have some prescription Ray Ban's that I got from the place in the mall, LensCrafters I think? They often have great deals. The chains usually make poor quality glasses, but mine came out great. Also, Sunglass Hut has a deal with the place I went to (just ask sunglass hut who they partner with to find out who it was if you want), so you can buy the frames at Sunglass Hut and have them made at the joint and still get the great deals.

Retail came out to a little under $600 for my glasses, but I got something like half off the frames and then a free lens upgrade, so I ended up paying about $350 for some very nice RayBan frames, polarized and polycarbonate prescription lens..

Advertisement: