Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Road Work ;D  (Read 3051 times)

Offline trauma_alert

• First Bike
Road Work ;D
« on: October 20, 2008, 10:43:24 PM »
So when are the lines gonna be put on the climb at the end of Upper Loch Ness?

I rode it this Saturday and i didn't know they did work on the climb so i picked up a lot of speed at the end like normal and glided right up...and nailed my head on that branch right there at the end.  ::)

Anyway what are your thoughts on this addition?

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
Re: Road Work ;D
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 09:24:45 AM »

I rode it this Saturday and i didn't know they did work on the climb so i picked up a lot of speed at the end like normal and glided right up...and nailed my head on that branch right there at the end.  ::)

First report of a problem there.  Unless the tree has started leaning over there are no further plans to do anything at that climb.  Duck?

Offline Harvey

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 10:00:07 AM »
A bunch of dirt was added to the top of the climb. It's practically paved now, but future rains will take care of that.

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 10:24:06 AM »
A bunch of dirt was added to the top of the climb. It's practically paved now, but future rains will take care of that.

That's good.  It was never originally intended to be as difficult as erosion has made it. It was pretty much supposed to be a single track trail that most everyone could ride, or work their skills towards more difficult stuff.  We may have to go in and fix the climb out again.

Offline Big Hooper

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: SIR9. One bike, one gear
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 10:34:16 AM »
I really liked the challenge of that climb :(. I was working up to conquer that. It was just a tricky spot to get up over that made the trail interesting. Hopefully the rain will wash some of the dirt away to keep it challenging.
wherever you go.....there you are.
Just a big Hooper!

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 12:31:54 PM »
I really liked the challenge of that climb :(. I was working up to conquer that. It was just a tricky spot to get up over that made the trail interesting. Hopefully the rain will wash some of the dirt away to keep it challenging.

Hopefully we can keep it challenging without the problem of the erosion dip in it.  Just coming around the corner to a steep climb should be a fun challenge, and folks working on their skills have a doable challenge as well.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 03:42:49 PM »
Is this the climb that had those rubber blocks part way up? If so everytime I've hit that climb the last few times I spin on those blocks. Usually it is still early and they are wet, and I only ride my SS at Boyette so gearing down isn't an option. :P
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 04:05:48 PM »
Is this the climb that had those rubber blocks part way up? If so everytime I've hit that climb the last few times I spin on those blocks. Usually it is still early and they are wet, and I only ride my SS at Boyette so gearing down isn't an option. :P
Yes...

I think part of the challenge was taken away sure.  It needed some fixing so "MOST" riders could ride it since it is an intermiediate trail and it may have been "overfixed"  But as with any other sections... there is those of us who think sections get fixed and made easier or made too hard.  Hardly anyone agrees with how it was fixed.  Specialy those that don't come out to work days.  I for one am glad that TLC was given to the trail but I do hope erotion takes of it and brings a bit of challenge back with time.

Let's not bring back all those wasteful fingerpointing discussion about how things are being taken away or not fixed properly that we had over Alafia a few months back.  Let's RIDE!!!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 04:08:10 PM by SandPine »

Offline Jim DeLuca

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 04:27:58 PM »
That climb was fixed so an old man on a SS could make it.  The tree branch does need to be cut, but was not, as there was not a chain saw available or the time. The decision was made to leave it for now.   

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 06:28:27 PM »
If I'm not mistaken that is an intermediate trail, so it needs to be maintained as such. There are those that would turn every trail into a yellow, and others that would turn every trail into a double black. The intermediate trails are the hardest to strike that balance in keeping it intermediate.

I'm gonna be out there Sunday. I always carry my pack saw, can I take that branch out? Or should it be left?
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline Jim DeLuca

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2008, 07:00:17 PM »
It probably needs to be removed.  Its always been there,but I guess now its a problem since more people are making it.  I know that if you don't duck and your tall its gonna hurt!  Its still one of the hardest climbs on the intermediate trails.

Offline trauma_alert

• First Bike
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2008, 07:34:46 PM »
The branch is not a problem for the shorties but for us tall people its at perfect knock-out level.
I probably would have avoided it but i was totally surprised how easy that climb was.

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2008, 07:58:11 PM »
The branch is not a problem for the shorties but for us tall people its at perfect knock-out level.
I probably would have avoided it but i was totally surprised how easy that climb was.

I'm tall too and also have to duck when I go by.  Just one of the challenges.  I'm glad to hear it sounds as if the erosion problem was fixed.

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2008, 08:04:06 PM »
If I'm not mistaken that is an intermediate trail, so it needs to be maintained as such. There are those that would turn every trail into a yellow, and others that would turn every trail into a double black. The intermediate trails are the hardest to strike that balance in keeping it intermediate.

I'm gonna be out there Sunday. I always carry my pack saw, can I take that branch out? Or should it be left?

DO NOT take the branch out!  It is a BLUE TRAIL and I don't believe it is something that hinders riders from making the climb.  Now that the erosion was fixed lets just see how it all holds up.  With any luck I will be out of my back brace first week of November and I want to drive out and look at a few things at Boyette then and maybe put up up a couple signs.  I'll look at the branch and climb out too.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2008, 07:47:48 AM »

DO NOT take the branch out!  It is a BLUE TRAIL and I don't believe it is something that hinders riders from making the climb.  Now that the erosion was fixed lets just see how it all holds up.  With any luck I will be out of my back brace first week of November and I want to drive out and look at a few things at Boyette then and maybe put up up a couple signs.  I'll look at the branch and climb out too.

That's why I asked. I don't ride Boyette often, but don't remeber there being a branch up there at the top of the climb. Unless it is the one that is a little further up the trail? If so I don't mind ducking sometimes.

Advertisement: