Author Topic: Looking into racing...  (Read 4505 times)

Offline J. Ryan

• Cycling Sherpa
Looking into racing...
« on: October 23, 2008, 02:27:07 PM »
I've been thinking about trying to find a team or group to ride and race with. I've never raced before but I think I would really enjoy it. I'm not the kind of guy to go and sign up for a race on my own. Does anyone know of a team or group that might accept an intermediate rider? I'm mostly interested in endurance events but I would be up for anything that involves me and my Paragon. Any advice that might help me get started would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Online E90X + 1.1.11

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
Re: Looking into racing...
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 02:28:03 PM »
I've been thinking about trying to find a team or group to ride and race with. I've never raced before but I think I would really enjoy it. I'm not the kind of guy to go and sign up for a race on my own. Does anyone know of a team or group that might accept an intermediate rider? I'm mostly interested in endurance events but I would be up for anything that involves me and my Paragon. Any advice that might help me get started would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

step 1 - get some fancy bibs

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 02:37:12 PM »
Step 2 - Don't wear anything over the bibs.

Bonus points given if you have an extremely hairy back.

In all seriousness,  just sign-up for beginner/novice (which ever length of race you feel comfortable riding) and give it a try.  The endurance events are pretty fun to try as they tend to be less serious that the Florida State Championship series so try to hook up with some guys looking for a teammate.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline Jimbo

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 02:40:45 PM »
You don't need no stinkin bibs!! ;D  Racing, especially endurance racing, can be a lot of fun.  I did my first race with a team.  That was a blast!!
It's not just fun, it's an addiction!

Offline J. Ryan

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 02:52:04 PM »
For the bibs, I was thinking of a turquoise pair with a lyger print. What do you think? Fancy enough? Unfortunately I won't get the bonus points for the hairy back though.

Offline Pariah

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 03:31:57 PM »
Tred - I'm in the same boat, never raced before, but would like to see how it goes...  I suppose I'm an intermediate lvl rider...

No bibs though... :-\
WARNING  This document may contain technical data whose export is restricted by the Arms Export Control Act (Title 22, U.S.C., Sec 2778, et seq.) or the Export Administration Act of 1979, as amended (Title 50, U.S.C., App. 2401 et seq.). Violation of these export laws are subject to criminal penalty

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 03:58:03 PM »
The Alafia race this weekend is a good place to start. Just sign up for novice class. 8)

Online steve

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 09:03:36 PM »
Agreed pre-ride sat and do novice on sun it`s only one lap 

Offline benjibbad

• Ninja Master Cyclist
    • MY Space
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008, 10:34:06 PM »
That's where I will be this year.  I would probably do Beginner but after being off the bike for half the year and my hard head determined to ride my 29SS this year. Novice seems to be the best choice.  See you at the starting line!!
Pedal fast, Hit hard - pain is temporary, and chicks dig scars!!

Check out the Blog:
http://scifdps.blogspot.com/

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2008, 09:13:58 AM »
benji novice, come on man.. :-\  dude.

Online E90X + 1.1.11

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2008, 09:32:21 AM »
benji novice, come on man.. :-\  dude.

that would be like paul racing beginer clyde

Offline mksandoz

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • roadie
    • my riding blog
  • My Bike: Cannondale F500 1x7 w/ Slicks
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2008, 09:34:50 AM »

Thanks!

I did my first race earlier this year at the Squiggy 6 hours and it was great.  If I were you I would find a rider or two with abilities similar to yours and team up to tackle the Squiggy in March.  Its a great race with lots of friendly people and the course is pretty easy and familiar to most of us SWAMPers.

but watch out for SQUIRRELS GONE WILD if they show up!!!
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades - Eddy Merckx

Anthem1

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2008, 09:54:17 AM »
I have it on good authority, The Squirrels will be going WILD :o Gotta defend the title baby :)

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2008, 10:45:29 AM »

Thanks!

step 1 - get some fancy bibs

Step 2 - Don't wear anything over the bibs.

Step 3 - Spend entirely too much time on the forum strategizing and talking smack. ;)

Step 4 - Ride your bike......ALOT!

Step 5 - Pick a race, post to see who is interested in joining you.

Offline SandPine

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • SS Bender
    • <b>SandPine's Ride Reports</b>
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2008, 12:01:06 PM »
I have it on good authority, The Squirrels will be going WILD :o Gotta defend the title baby :)
Scott, i get the feeling you may be needing a new SQUIRREL.... i bet Mike may decide to kick some ass on the solo event.  hope he does so that treadlight can finally getz get some revenge... not sure we will see him before then...  lol