Author Topic: Squiggy Classic Adventure Race  (Read 2824 times)

Online Chris K

• Trips For Kids Tampa
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Amateur Billy Goat
    • TFK Tampa
Squiggy Classic Adventure Race
« on: December 23, 2008, 08:17:43 AM »
I was just wondering if any of you have ever done the adventure race at the Squiggy Classic.  If anyone has or knows something about it, could you tell me approx. how far each leg of the race is for the 6 hour race.  Any other details of the race would be cool too. 

I have experience racing kayaks but am still a newbie at this biking thing and thought the adventure race seemed like it would be a lot of fun and cool way to combine my two favorite hobbies. 
Trips For Kids Tampa- Mountain bike outings and educational opportunities for "at risk" kids www.mtbyouthride.org

Anthem1

Re: Squiggy Classic Adventure Race
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 08:29:05 AM »
I did it last year as a two man team, GO Squirrels!!!!!!!!! The loop is layed out a day or two before the race and consists of trails between the Hole in the fence and Morris bridge park and is roughly 12 miles give or take a mile :)The race features a Lemans start where you have a run of a couple hundred yards to your bike and then your off for as many laps as you can complete in that 6 hour span. This is a very low key event and a great way to get your feet wet.

Online Chris K

• Trips For Kids Tampa
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Amateur Billy Goat
    • TFK Tampa
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 08:48:10 AM »
Thanks Anthem.  I think you are talking about just the mountain bike race.  The adventure race has the mountain biking, kayaking, and trail hiking(navigation).   

I was a little apprehensive of doing an exclusive mt bike race being so new to the sport, but if it is a pretty laid back race I might consider it. 

How does the team thing work.  Do you take turns doing laps or are you both racing at the same time?
Trips For Kids Tampa- Mountain bike outings and educational opportunities for "at risk" kids www.mtbyouthride.org

Offline Garry

• SWAMP Club Advisor
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 09:01:09 AM »
Thanks Anthem.  I think you are talking about just the mountain bike race.  The adventure race has the mountain biking, kayaking, and trail hiking(navigation).   

I was a little apprehensive of doing an exclusive mt bike race being so new to the sport, but if it is a pretty laid back race I might consider it. 

How does the team thing work.  Do you take turns doing laps or are you both racing at the same time?

I'm pretty sure the adventure race at Squiggy is running and kayak only.  The mountain bike race is separate.

Online Chris K

• Trips For Kids Tampa
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Amateur Billy Goat
    • TFK Tampa
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 09:16:37 AM »
I just checked the website and it sounded like the mountain biking was part of the adventure race but it was a bit ambiguous.  I might just call the coordinators and get the info on it if no one here has ever done it. 

I want to do it, but not if mt biking is not a part of it.

Anthem1

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 10:33:35 AM »
On the team front you can have up to 3 team mates that ride one at a time. You have a mini baton you pass from rider to rider :)

Offline BeerCan

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Turner Sultan (V1)
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 11:17:20 AM »
The adventure race is biking, trekking and canoe / kayak.  You really have no way to tell how long each leg is because different promoters have different styles.  Just for a general idea the last couple of adventure races I have done have about 10-15 miles each of canoe and trekking and about 20-30 miles of biking.  Squiggy will probably be a little shorter than that if it is only a 6 hour.  If you have a teammate you must stay within sight of each other at all times.  It also means no kayak and you have to struggle with the canoe  :).  I plan on doing both the Squiggy AR and mountain bike race this year just to give my body a good thrashing  ;D
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." Frank Zappa
------------------------------------

Online Chris K

• Trips For Kids Tampa
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Amateur Billy Goat
    • TFK Tampa
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 12:25:16 PM »
The adventure race is biking, trekking and canoe / kayak.  You really have no way to tell how long each leg is because different promoters have different styles.  Just for a general idea the last couple of adventure races I have done have about 10-15 miles each of canoe and trekking and about 20-30 miles of biking.  Squiggy will probably be a little shorter than that if it is only a 6 hour.  If you have a teammate you must stay within sight of each other at all times.  It also means no kayak and you have to struggle with the canoe  :).  I plan on doing both the Squiggy AR and mountain bike race this year just to give my body a good thrashing  ;D

Online Chris K

• Trips For Kids Tampa
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Amateur Billy Goat
    • TFK Tampa
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2008, 12:29:48 PM »
ya I think im going to try both also, if they dont conflict with each other.  If they do I think I'll just do the bike race.  I dont really care for canoeing that much.  I'd much rather kayak.  What adventure races have you done beercan?  They seem like they would be a lot of fun.

Offline BeerCan

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Turner Sultan (V1)
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2008, 11:28:43 AM »
This year I did not do to many.  I did the practise wedon island race, the Kings Landing SuperHero AR, the croom crusher and 1 other that for some reason I cannot remember the name.
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." Frank Zappa
------------------------------------

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2008, 03:41:18 PM »
i am thinking about doing one they have coming up at alafia if my running continues to pick up. 8)

Online Chris K

• Trips For Kids Tampa
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Amateur Billy Goat
    • TFK Tampa
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2008, 06:52:37 PM »
 I saw that one the other day when I was out there.   Its called ecoquest.  Its a 4 mile run/hike, obstacle course, 1 mile canoe, and 6 mile mt bike.  That seems like it would be kind of fun, nothing really too grueling and all the proceeds go to a really good charity (ECHO) that helps residents of the county who have been effected by natural disasters.

Offline Alan

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: 2009 GF Paragon, 2008 Redline MC29er
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2009, 08:01:26 PM »
Check out the forums at wecefar.com .  Lots of good info on local adventure races can be found on that site. 

Offline LTS guy

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • VIVA LA LTS!!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2009, 05:56:57 PM »
ok, I did this race for the first time last year, and this was also, my first bike race ever.

It was very easy to register, and get ready to go, the organizers, do a good job, making sure everyone is where they are supposed to be at the right times. The race is fun, but I did run into a couple of jackasses, but that can be expected anywhere, but for the most part, most competitors are local, and are into it more for fun, than for competitiveness.

I am going to do this, again this year without a doubt.
When you ride so far out that you hear no traffic, no people...nothing..

zen.