Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Update From Wolf  (Read 2470 times)

Offline Wolf

• SWAMP Club Member
  • First Bike
  • My Bike: Titus Racer-X
Update From Wolf
« on: October 24, 2008, 10:10:34 PM »
Thanks for everyone's best wishes. 
Fortuneately injury is a "wake up call" to me that I should be riding with guys and girls closer to my age rather than young guys like "What are you - hard core??" Forest. 
I have a C-2 fracture and must wear a collar for 3 months! 
I had no right to try to ride the drop offs.  I was *y because I had been riding very strong on the trails that we did Sat. to Tues. 
Those trails were very well groomed and we rode them fast.  This was 2 - 2ft drop offs and a switchback below.  I picked a bad line and turned my wheel on second drop and ended doing face plant at about 45 degree angle.  Fortunately I could walk out with bike and I then get a ride to emergency room to make sure there was no damage.  I thought that I had missed a bullet.  As I waited in the emergency room and got a cat-scan, I started feeling better and started to carefully move my neck.  The Doctor put me straight after I asked him "so what is the good news".  He said that half the people with my injury C-2 die.  Fortuneatly mine was a vertical crack behind spinal column. 
I have to thank Rick for driving me home.  It rained from Ashville to Jacksonville.  Forest and Gabrielle and Paul for waiting with me in Emergency.  Paul and Katie for picking me up.
Maybe if I ride with the over 50 crowd, I might actually get to ride out front so that I don't have to look at their butts all the time.
Wolf
Wolf

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
Re: Update From Wolf
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 10:40:15 PM »
Hey Wolf - glad to hear it wasn't as bad as it could have been.  I was talking to my PT today about your injury and was shocked to hear him say most people with a C-2 injury die!  You just confirmed that risk.  How lucky you are.  Anything from C-4 up, if the nerves get damaged or severed, stops you from being able to breath.  Glad that you're still with us.  I'll be coming towards the end of my recovery, or at least to a point of starting to get back in shape, and your just starting yours.  Hang in there and take it easy.  Luckily there will be plenty of time to ride once you heal.

naked indian

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 05:19:17 AM »
I dont know who u are but serious injury is an awful circumstance.  I pray for ur speedy recovery.  Where did this happen?

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 08:32:45 AM »
Like NI said I've never met you but am glad to hear you are gonna be OK. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Anthem1

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 08:51:28 AM »
Hey Wolf, sorry to hear of your injury. Don't be too hard on your self, this brought back memories of me getting seriously worked in a rapid on the Ocoee called double suck, it kind of scared the enthusiasum out of me. But time heals most if not all wounds. Get healthy and before you know it you'll be back in the saddle :) It's our more mature riders like you, Garry, Humberto, Frank, Etc: that inspire Swamp middle aged guy's to keep pushin! That this is an ageless sport. Best wishes buddy we'll see you out there soon :)

Offline Pariah

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008, 03:39:02 PM »
Get Well soon Wolf...  We'll keep the trails ready for your return.
WARNING  This document may contain technical data whose export is restricted by the Arms Export Control Act (Title 22, U.S.C., Sec 2778, et seq.) or the Export Administration Act of 1979, as amended (Title 50, U.S.C., App. 2401 et seq.). Violation of these export laws are subject to criminal penalty

Offline kinematic11

• SWAMP Club Member
  • First Bike
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2008, 11:41:39 PM »
wolf,

you are in such great shape that you will heal in no time. just lay off the cigarettes for a while, and be easy on the strippers too.  ::)that way you can give the c2 time to heal. you will be in the saddle again in no time and we look forward to buzzing your rear tire in blueridge this spring!   ;)

it was great riding with you in asheville! you made the trip all that much better - in many ways. your humor was exceptional. we all love you. :-*

dave    ;D

Offline Tony Buchman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: '08 Giant Trance X2, 2012 Kona Hei Hei 29er
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 07:32:02 PM »
Wolf
Glad to hear you're going to be OK! I'll will sacrifice a chicken for your total and complete recovery and hope to meet you on the trails one day.  ;D

p.s.
Just kidding about the chicken, I have a bizarre sense of humor. Unless you think it might help. LOL
I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity.

moleminiman

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 09:00:53 AM »
Hey Wolf,

We are all fortunate that things really turned out for the best.  Things could've been pretty bad in the location we were in.  I'm glad you are going to have a complete recovery.  You are an awesome rider, I don't think you were *y.  This is a ruff sport, I have gotten injured in the most unlikely places like in a field at boyette?!?  Although going down a mountain does increase the chance of injury you definately have the skill. Hope to Cya soon!

Forrest

Offline Redriderpro

• Redriderpro
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Devinci Atlas carbon 29er
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2008, 09:18:14 AM »
Wolfman! Sorry to ready about your crash and injury.

Welcome to the "broke back(neck?) club", Gary and I will enjoy your company again as soon as you and he get back on the bike. Right now it probably seems like that will never happen, but I've been there many times, you will be back before you think you will at this point.

From Anthem: "More Mature"? Thanks for that I think. Gotta show my wife and co-workers that comment. I'm finally getting mature ;)

It's our more mature riders like you, Garry, Humberto, Frank, Etc: that inspire Swamp middle aged guy's to keep pushin! 

Frank
"Big Dogs Like It Rough!"

Offline Camf

• First Bike
  • Heroes are overrated
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2008, 09:29:53 AM »
Wolf,

Welcome to the C2 fracture club! I joined the club 5-6 years ago myself. Like you, I was lucky enough to survive my accident and have been blessed with a full recovery. I was placed on house arrest in a collar for 3 months by the doctor. I think the solitude was the most painful part of my injury!

One piece of advice- watch where you walk! I remember slamming my shoulder into the frame of a door in my own house because I wasn't use to the lack of vision and mobility from the collar. There were 2-3 seconds where I thought I broke a collar bone or paralyzed myself.

Best of luck on a speedy recovery!

Adam

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2008, 09:42:33 AM »
Glad to hear that you're going to make a full recovery.  Hope I don't ever join that club. ;)
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Anthem1

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2008, 10:01:27 AM »
Hey Frank, having ridden behind you and many other of our mature :) Swampers I am encouraged to know that not only can I ride for many years to come I can get faster, smoother, etc: With the exception of a handful of youngsters, it is you guy's that really push me and encourage me to keep to pushing to the next level of fitness and skill so you guy's don't drop me :)

Offline metatron21

• First Bike
  • My Bike: Cannondale F7
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2008, 07:35:33 PM »
Hey Wolf,

I'm so glad that you are going to be Ok. Hope you have a speedy recovery and you don't get too bored. I'm very glad that we were put into the same cabin. Getting to know you better was a blessing. I can only HOPE to ride as well as you one day!!! You had a lot of good advice for me and I appreciate it. Can't wait to see you back on the bike soon and whipping up on those young guys!!!

Katie

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2008, 09:01:18 PM »
Wolfman! Sorry to ready about your crash and injury.

Welcome to the "broke back(neck?) club", Gary and I will enjoy your company again as soon as you and he get back on the bike. Right now it probably seems like that will never happen, but I've been there many times, you will be back before you think you will at this point.

From Anthem: "More Mature"? Thanks for that I think. Gotta show my wife and co-workers that comment. I'm finally getting mature ;)

It's our more mature riders like you, Garry, Humberto, Frank, Etc: that inspire Swamp middle aged guy's to keep pushin! 

Frank

Wolf get well soon!

As a 40 ish rider, like Anthem, I too am inspired by you guys who seem to get faster and smoother everytime we ride.

Advertisement: