Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Something bike related  (Read 1087 times)

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
Something bike related
« on: October 29, 2008, 11:39:19 AM »
As tempting as it is to throw politics into this forum this time of year, it's nice to have a forum like this that deals in mountain biking and not the negatives often found in that subject.  There are other forums that encourage and want that.  With that said here's something to get fired up about for the sport we all enjoy.  I would like to think the original poster is in the minority, but even so negatives of the sport fuel this guy's fire.  Read on.

http://www.newwest.net/topic/article/a_wicked_threat_mountain_bikes_in_national_parks/C41/L41/#comments

Offline Jimbo

• Ninja Master Cyclist
Re: Something bike related
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 11:50:24 AM »
Looks like the folks from IMBA need to politely inform this fella that his views are way off base.  Looks like he's lumping mountain bikes in with the motorized type of recreation.  I think the national park service has already separated the two.
It's not just fun, it's an addiction!

Offline MtKillanewbieDH

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • roadie
  • Favorite Trail: BullJake
  • My Bike: Trucker
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 07:47:38 PM »
"Most hikers are negatively impacted by even occasional, let alone regular, flow of bikers on trails or walking roads. Bikes and bikers are a physical threat, they are inherently aggressive, they kick up dust, and they can impose a mechanical sound on the immediate area. Other times they just sneak up and surprise hikers, and for a species like us that is heavily visually oriented, mountain bikes are an ugly intrusion of mechanization and urbanization."

there are so many problems with just this paragraph, i quit reading.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades - Eddy Merckx
Simplify and add lightness - Colin Chapman

naked indian

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 09:54:10 PM »
Is funny. Hikers cause a higher impact then cyclist.  When you are hiking it is easy to go off trail and hikers do it often.  Whereas a cyclist almost 100% of the time he stays on trail and moves thru the area 4 times faster then a walker.

Whatever to them, I hate trail natzis.

NO SOUP FOR U.

Advertisement: