Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: questions for the SWAMP Gurus  (Read 1069 times)

Offline Tony Buchman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: '08 Giant Trance X2, 2012 Kona Hei Hei 29er
questions for the SWAMP Gurus
« on: October 30, 2008, 08:01:01 PM »
What is the advantage, if any, of lock on grips?

How do you know if your pedals and or cleats on shoes are worn out? I ride time Atac pedals, not adjustable. The left one is looser (more float if that's the right term) than the right.

What chain ring do most of you use? I spend most of my time on the middle ring and only use maybe 4 gears on the back. I've got 27, help me unlock the potential.
I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity.

Offline benjibbad

• Ninja Master Cyclist
    • MY Space
Re: questions for the SWAMP Gurus
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 08:49:48 PM »
THe advantage of the lock on grips is that the grips don't twist or shift while riding.  Is some of the more techincal sections where you are pulling on your bar more, twist can make you uncomfortable and in the event you fall can put your hand in an off position potentially injuring you.

As for the cleats;  I also ride the atac pedals I have the XS which have a tension adjust. First check the screws on the cleat itself make sure they are not loose.  Though if you cleats are worn  you can buy replacements fairly cheap at most bike shops.  Typically if you find yourself coming unclipped or have a very loose feeling (up from the pedal not neccisarily left right) in the pedal then it is time to change them.  Atacs are known to have a lot of left right float.  It's particularly good for those of us with broken knees.

To unlock your pedaling potential remove your cassette and chainrings and replace with one each!  You will lighten the bike (and rotational weight) and now you don't have to worry about shifting, you are always in the right gear!!  Though it depends on the type of rider you are.  I have found myself using only 1 or 2 gears on some rides.  On my trance I have removed the Big Ring and I barely use the granny. Find a suitable cadence between 60 and 90 and try to maintain it. The only thing advised against in cross chaining, Big ring to big ring and little to little, this places a lot of torque on the chain and can cause it to fail.  Really what is most important is if your having fun.  Try different gearings you may find something that is more condusive to your riding style.
Pedal fast, Hit hard - pain is temporary, and chicks dig scars!!

Check out the Blog:
http://scifdps.blogspot.com/

Advertisement: