Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: night riding  (Read 1972 times)

Offline bradluke0

• Huffy Rider
night riding
« on: November 01, 2008, 11:57:26 AM »
Hi all !   Is it ok to ride at night at the usual local riding places or does it have to be an official Swamp Club ride ??  I hear some guys just say meet at ( insert park here) and we will ride . Then I will see an official Swamp Club night ride with a ranger on duty . I am just trying to understand the proper protocol as to not ruffle feathers.    thx  brad 

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
Re: night riding
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 01:54:11 PM »
Hi all !   Is it ok to ride at night at the usual local riding places or does it have to be an official Swamp Club ride ??  I hear some guys just say meet at ( insert park here) and we will ride . Then I will see an official Swamp Club night ride with a ranger on duty . I am just trying to understand the proper protocol as to not ruffle feathers.    thx  brad 

Morris Bridge is official club ride only with Ranger on duty.  Boyette is official club ride only, but that got canceled by the land managers; looking to get it restarted soon - other pressing issues to finalize first.  Croom is ok, but consider redneck country and don't leave valuables in your vehicle.  Alafia is occasional club ride, unless you're camping, then you can do night rides.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 10:04:36 PM »

Brad,
See my post listed under 10/30 night ride for information on additional night rides.

Unfortunately, though public land, we are bound by the land manager's rules and regulations. If you are out past a parks closing time, you can be sited for trespassing. There reasoning is for your safety.

Offline eclark

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 04:12:18 AM »
Carter/ LLoyce Harpe is open until 10pm.  AJs is planning a ride there this week, not sure what night, if you want to be in a group.

Offline northbkr1

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 08:07:43 AM »
Even if you camp at Alafia,night rides are not legal. The trails are only open while the park is open unless you have a Beat the Heat pass then you can go in early but not with lights. A couple people were going in early with lights last year, one of them got hurt.If your caught this year they are going to warn you once (maybe), the next time your out. They have told me they are also going to start checking to make sure everyone who goes in early has a pass, if not you will be going home. Just a little FYI.

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 08:14:46 AM »
Thanks for the clarification Art. 

So, Flatwoods has scheduled night rides, and Croom I believe is available for night rides.  I'll get info on that this evening to be sure.

Even if you camp at Alafia,night rides are not legal. The trails are only open while the park is open unless you have a Beat the Heat pass then you can go in early but not with lights. A couple people were going in early with lights last year, one of them got hurt.If your caught this year they are going to warn you once (maybe), the next time your out. They have told me they are also going to start checking to make sure everyone who goes in early has a pass, if not you will be going home. Just a little FYI.

Offline bradluke0

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 12:35:43 PM »
Thx guys for the info.....I'm not a very good rider during the day so I was kinda hoping not being able to see where I was going would help......brad

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 08:11:38 PM »

Croom has night riding too.  There are a few folks who NR there fairly often.  Post something here and on the SWAMP Yahoo!Groups site and I'm sure you'll get some takers.  Croom is fun at night.  Just another sasquatch hangout!
 ;D

Offline northbkr1

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 08:43:49 PM »
We did night rides at Croom for years, it's an awesome place for night rides.  Croom is more fun at night than during the day.

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2008, 08:04:42 PM »
Where would you recommend parking for a night ride out there?  Parking lot at Tower? Also, is this an allowed  night  ride or riding rebel style with no discernable markings or ID's? Night ride out there does sound like a good time.
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2008, 08:38:05 PM »
Where would you recommend parking for a night ride out there?  Parking lot at Tower? Also, is this an allowed  night  ride or riding rebel style with no discernable markings or ID's? Night ride out there does sound like a good time.

I know for sure Trailhead #1 and #2 is a start point.  Not sure right now if Tucker parking is allowed after dark.  I will get that answer, but it was my understanding that night rides were not an issue.  So yes, they are allowed and not a rebel thing.

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2008, 11:41:35 AM »

Tucker Hill parking is good.  The rangers are used to seeing vehicles parked there and some security to your vehicle other than the other two trailheads because of the ranger being right nearby. Have fun!  Croom is pretty cool at night.

Advertisement: