Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Chain Skipping / Autoshifting  (Read 2822 times)

Offline J. Ryan

• Cycling Sherpa
Chain Skipping / Autoshifting
« on: November 03, 2008, 11:58:41 AM »
While riding this weekend I was experiencing a lot of chain skipping or auto shifting. This would initially happen while standing to power up a hill and would usually skip back tonce I sat back down. I know that frame flexing can cause this but is there anything else I should be looking into and What can I do to correct this problem?

I have SRAM X.9 trigger shifters and an X.9 rear derailleur.

SS Warriors - I already know what y'all are going to say to this post. Unfortunately I don't have the funds to get a new bike so I have to make this one work for now. I will try an SS some day though.

Offline Paragonman

• Clipless Mountain Goat
Re: Chain Skipping / Autoshifting
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 12:22:58 PM »
Sounds like a simple derailer adjustment. On the X9 the adjustment knob is on the shifter. Probably just a couple clicks needed; the direction depends on which way the bike is trying to shift itself.
This is gonna hurt

Offline J. Ryan

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 12:36:35 PM »
Sounds like a simple derailer adjustment. On the X9 the adjustment knob is on the shifter. Probably just a couple clicks needed; the direction depends on which way the bike is trying to shift itself.
When I adjust the rear derailer on the stand to shift properly it doesn't work when I ride it. I tried adjusting it a bit on the road before I hit the trails. Is it common that adjustments made to the bike while on the stand aren't necessarily good on a ride?

naked indian

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 12:39:11 PM »
completely possible tread.  Under actual pedal wieght it may behave differently.  The forces and all, will make a differance.  If you have tried your adjustment barrell and it has not come around, then it maybe the limit screws or it maybe a fall that smacked your derailleur a little out of position. 

Best solution is take all that stuff off and go single speed.

Offline J. Ryan

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 12:44:17 PM »
completely possible tread.  Under actual pedal wieght it may behave differently.  The forces and all, will make a differance.  If you have tried your adjustment barrell and it has not come around, then it maybe the limit screws or it maybe a fall that smacked your derailleur a little out of position. 

I knew it was comming! Actually I was pricing single speeds last night. I also wanted to price all the components required to convert my Fisher but I have no idea what I'd need.

naked indian

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 12:50:19 PM »

I knew it was comming! Actually I was pricing single speeds last night. I also wanted to price all the components required to convert my Fisher but I have no idea what I'd need.

ACtually, if your really jumping into single speeding and not looking back its relatively cheap to go single and you can take any geared set up to make it happen.  ME, I recommend two bikes a low end base level single speed can be had fully built for 500 or less if you shop around (29er of course).  But ya, check your limit screws and check your derailleur to make sure its not off a millimeter cause even that small amount would cause some ghost shifting.
BTW I go both ways, geared and single speed.
LMAO

Offline J. Ryan

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 01:01:42 PM »
ACtually, if your really jumping into single speeding and not looking back its relatively cheap to go single and you can take any geared set up to make it happen.  ME, I recommend two bikes a low end base level single speed can be had fully built for 500 or less if you shop around (29er of course).  But ya, check your limit screws and check your derailleur to make sure its not off a millimeter cause even that small amount would cause some ghost shifting.
BTW I go both ways, geared and single speed.
LMAO

What are some good single speeds for under $500?

Offline Paragonman

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 01:06:35 PM »
I don't think the limit screws would have anything to do with it. They only limit the derailer's outside limits. Look for a stiff link in your chain. If you find one wiggle it laterally and it should free up. Check your derailer hanger and make sure it's straight, too.
This is gonna hurt

naked indian

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 01:07:23 PM »
Hmmmm.

Redline Monocog.

Maybe thats still under 500 the base model, im sure if you look around.

I found this one just messing around: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/outcast29_08.htm

http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/bik/903708910.html

and this one...

http://www.redlinebicycles.com/adultbikes/monocog-29er.html

that was from a one minute search, look deep and you could do even better.

naked indian

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 01:09:25 PM »
Hmmmm.

Redline Monocog.

Maybe thats still under 500 the base model, im sure if you look around.

I found this one just messing around: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/outcast29_08.htm

http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/bik/903708910.html

and this one...

http://www.redlinebicycles.com/adultbikes/monocog-29er.html

that was from a one minute search, look deep and you could do even better.

BTW paragon man might be better with gears than me so if he says it aint the limit, then it aint, but check your hanger, we both said it might be out of sorts.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2008, 01:12:34 PM »
I don't think the limit screws would have anything to do with it. They only limit the derailer's outside limits. Look for a stiff link in your chain. If you find one wiggle it laterally and it should free up. Check your derailer hanger and make sure it's straight, too.

Also..check to be sure that your cassette is not bent (i have bent several). This is definitely a symptom of that too.

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2008, 01:26:41 PM »
Another thing to check is that none of the links in your chain are bent/twisted - had that happen to me once and it drove me crazy trying to figure out why my chain kept on skipping.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline chainslap

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Chainslap
  • My Bike: Fuel EX 9.9 29er
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2008, 01:35:20 PM »
Keep an eye on your chainline. If you are running the outer ring up front and an inner cog in back, the chain will be be under a lot of lateral stress that will impare shifting and could cause it to break.  If the bike is fairly new, the cables will have streached and it may be time for your first tune up.  If you bought it at a LBS, this is usualy a free one.

Offline richardo

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2008, 01:36:24 PM »
I just want to say that I have 27 gears and I only use one at a time, therefore I ride single speed  ;D

naked indian

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2008, 01:38:01 PM »
I just want to say that I have 27 gears and I only use one at a time, therefore I ride single speed  ;D

LMAO I use that line all the time!

Advertisement: