Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Cassette  (Read 2559 times)

Offline J. Ryan

• Cycling Sherpa
Cassette
« on: November 06, 2008, 09:16:23 AM »
Just curious, What advantages do higher end cassettes offer aside from smoother shifting?

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9, Niner One9
Re: Cassette
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 09:21:48 AM »
Just curious, What advantages do higher end cassettes offer aside from smoother shifting?
looks, weight and a perceived durability.

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 09:45:09 AM »

[/quote]

That's prety much it...any of the run of the mill SRAM or Shimano cassettes will work good enough for 99% of the population.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

naked indian

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 09:53:52 AM »
ya, they are both right on that.  However, Rear Derailleurs, now thats another story all together.  The higher end, the better and crisper and under pressure it shifts.

Offline J. Ryan

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 09:59:50 AM »
Thanks guys, I was just curious. I really didn't see much of a difference aside from the looks. I figure the different materials would change the weight and life span.

What about bottom brackets?

Offline KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Smite master!
    • Raymond James Financial Services
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 10:03:04 AM »
Except for the difference between XO and X9 RDs. Aside from a very slight gram difference, they are identical. Not withstanding the X0 is more $$ than the X9 and more shiny.

Cassettes only matter when it comes to selecting the gearing sequence you want. I personally will be changing mine from a 12-27 (21-24-27) to a 11-28 (22-25-28) so I can have more selection on the top gears.

Bottom Brackets....the higher end models generally have higher end materials they are made with. Like my octalinks, the ES51 uses a plastic non-drive side cup, but the ES71 uses aluminum. I am assuming the new external BBs use the same concept.
We continuously seek feedback from you as to how we can improve our policies and procedures since our primary goal is to act in partnership with you. If you have any questions or need to report any problems on the SWAMP forum, please send me a PM and I will get back with you ASAP.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 10:20:04 AM »

That's prety much it...any of the run of the mill SRAM or Shimano cassettes will work good enough for 99% of the population.
[/quote]

I have found that in Shimano the RD, from LX up, is durable enough for the beating they take.  XTR comes with a big price jump for just a few grams and barely recognizable in performance from XT.  You find smoother shifting and less noise as you go up in the hierarchy. LX BB's are very durable compared to XTR BB's (quoted form a veteran mechanic).

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 10:22:13 AM »
Thanks guys, I was just curious. I really didn't see much of a difference aside from the looks. I figure the different materials would change the weight and life span.

What about bottom brackets?
For MTB, i've only used SRAM before.  Not sure a Shimano XTR will last as long (at my poundage and abuse) as a SRAM 990.  But yes, the higher end have higher bling affect.

BB's- my raceface ones kind of stink.  They have been giving me about 2,000 milage but of course the more water and sand they get the less they last.  I have broken the cheap FSA ones and replaced wih RaceFace X-Type (external cups) only to go down when doing creek crossings up + dirt up north in long rides.  I am considering getting the ceramic bearings kit that AJ's puts on them for I think $80.  I just bought the Hope BB ceramic bearings (red color for bling effects) we'll see how that one does.  Riding SS seems to wear out the BB's faster.  The new CK's BB look nice.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 11:16:36 AM »
Personally I think the middle 'high' end is the way to go on a bike that you ride often. The cost of an XTR versus an XT cassette doesn't seem cost effective

Just as an example on Jensonusa.com an XTR m970 cassette 11/32 is 280.00 and weighs 223 grams
an XT m770 is listed as "market" which right now is 64.95. In 11/32 it is all of 256 grams.

That is a cost of just under 7.43 per gram saved....... I am willing to pay for bling, but that is a bit much.

In my opinion the XT is more durable too. The 990 Sram weight slightly more than the XT, and costs typically a little more, but is still a way better value.

I would also tell you that the savings to drop down to the LX or 970 level is not enough to justify the additional weight in that case.

Offline Harvey

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2008, 12:20:22 PM »
Experience has shown there's a huge difference in performance and durability between XT and XTR rd's.

XTR cassettes are mega $$$ because they use titanium for the bigger cogs and (I think) the cassette body. Ti wears much faster than steel, which is what XT is made of. Save your money.

I've had terrible luck with Race Face outboard BBs. I installed a new set before the '06 SM100, went through ONE shallow creek crossing (see photo) and trashed them. I've yet to find an outboard BB that's "good", but I've had the best luck with Shimano. Going ceramic will yield less spinning resistance, but you'll still have the same problems with them getting gunked up. Unless you're a top racer looking for every little edge you can get, or you have money burning a hole in your pocket and want major bling-bling, save your money.

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2008, 12:53:31 PM »
Like Harvey said, ceramic will spin nicer, but they are no more durable than regular bearings.  Some grit in there will get them pitted just the same.  I think that when I kill my current Shimano outboard bb's, I'll replace with new King ones...I'm a sucker for pretty colors and King generally has good seals to keep things spinning smoother longer.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

naked indian

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2008, 01:13:27 PM »
funny, I have old skool splined bottom bracketts eight years old and they still run good.... I guess technology is not always a gurantee of durability

Luis

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2008, 01:23:15 PM »
funny, I have old skool splined bottom bracketts eight years old and they still run good.... I guess technology is not always a gurantee of durability

Outboard bearings were a scam by the bike industry... Q-factor increased, chainlines were screwed up and tiny bearings with crappy seals were located in the most exposed part of the bike.  Engineered to fail IMO!

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2008, 04:45:29 PM »
But they are PRUDDY...  dam, you mean I wasted $160 on a red hope bb with ceramic bearings for nada???   chet..  going back to my $20 FSA's splined one then... at least I can buy those in bulk when I brake them hard... @*#(@@*:$_$($%#*@#(*

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2008, 06:07:00 PM »
I've had my XTR cranks for over 2 years now and they are still great. Never replaced a chain ring or BB, maybe I just got lucky. I run XTR rear cassettes, but I wait until I find them for sale real cheap online. I found my last one for about 100 bucks. It helps that I prefer to run a 11-32 cassette, they aren't as popular and seem to come on sale more often.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Advertisement: