Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Sore ribs after 26 West MTB park wreck...any advice  (Read 1806 times)

Offline 08Spot

• First Bike
Sore ribs after 26 West MTB park wreck...any advice
« on: November 12, 2008, 12:15:13 PM »
just spent 2 weeks up in NC riding. got in some excelent riding and luckily waited until the last weekend to go to 26 West (if your not familiar look it up on youtube). I went off a table top with too much speed over shot it and landed upside down with the bike on top of me.  Nothing is broken or fractured but it still hurts if i lift anything over 15lbs or so. 

Any suggestions?

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
Re: Sore ribs after 26 West MTB park wreck...any advice
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 12:30:04 PM »
Don't laugh, sneezy, or cough   ;D.  Drink plenty of beer if that is you thang...  Heal soon.. 

Offline chainslap

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Chainslap
  • My Bike: Fuel EX 9.9 29er
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 12:37:12 PM »
Bruised or broken ribs will usually hurt the most when sneezing, breathing deeply and getting from a laying position to vertical.  If you are only getting pain from lifting and not from the other things described above, I would bet it is more muscular and not the ribs.  I am not a doctor by any means, but I have had these types of injuries in the past.  If it is a rib, as long as it is not in danger of puncturing a lung or causing internal problems, they usualy don't do much for them.

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 12:53:24 PM »
Off subject but, what was the weather like in NC? I'll be riding in Tsali over Thanksgiving.
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

naked indian

Re: Last time I was in NC
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 12:57:11 PM »
Off subject but, what was the weather like in NC? I'll be riding in Tsali over Thanksgiving.

IT WAS COLD, but NICE.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 01:54:16 PM »
i got a shattered collarbone / 3 broke ribs and punctured lung a week ago sunday.....just man up

:)

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 01:58:36 PM »
Cold like arm and possibly leg warmers or cold like pants and riding jacket? We'll be waiting till around 12:00 before hitting the trails. Rode north Ga a few weeks back in shorts and short sleeve jersey but could have used arm warmers in the shade.
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

naked indian

Re: nc cold
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 02:01:39 PM »
Cold like arm and possibly leg warmers or cold like pants and riding jacket? We'll be waiting till around 12:00 before hitting the trails. Rode north Ga a few weeks back in shorts and short sleeve jersey but could have used arm warmers in the shade.

the morning i raced it was 32.  I wore wool socks, shoe covers, a lycra base layer, a wool shirt, arm warmers, leg warmers and my jacket.  So thats for 32 day before I just wore a lycra layer and a jersey on top plus arm warmers no jacket, changed my based layer to wool in the even it got down in the 40's.  You judge from that brother. ;D

Offline Paragonman

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 02:41:21 PM »
The pain is most likely from strained intercostal muscles (the muscles between the ribs). Depending on how badly they were injured, pain can be from mild/during movement (light lifting) to intense/constant (can feel like a heart attack). Rest!
This is gonna hurt

Offline bikehard

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2008, 06:01:52 PM »
a simple bruised rib can hurt pretty bad.  i bruise mine awhile ago and all I could do was take it easy.  some pain killers helped as well.  even it is broken there is not much you can do.
2008 Turner 5 Spot - 28lbs of Squish!

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2008, 08:33:40 PM »
i got a shattered collarbone / 3 broke ribs and punctured lung a week ago sunday.....just man up

:)

This from a man who is texting me, thinking that I am his wife.....He may have manned up, but he is on major pain killers! ;)

Advertisement: