Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: night riding  (Read 1743 times)

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
night riding
« on: November 12, 2008, 05:09:59 PM »
Well the night ride season is here and I feel that the lights I have been using for the last four years have met their end. I was looking at the light and motion Stella L and was wondering what some of your opinions were on this light system. My concern is that the light will be too week. The set I have been using is the night rider solo logic and I would prefer something brighter than those. Any input will be  greatly appreciated. 8)

naked indian

Re: night riding
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 06:35:54 PM »
Well the night ride season is here and I feel that the lights I have been using for the last four years have met their end. I was looking at the light and motion Stella L and was wondering what some of your opinions were on this light system. My concern is that the light will be too week. The set I have been using is the night rider solo logic and I would prefer something brighter than those. Any input will be  greatly appreciated. 8)

On the trail on tthe bars I run a stella, on my head i run a mininewt and I fly with it.  I think its fine very bright long lasting and super light.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 08:30:27 PM »

They have made it harder to compare lately as lights have gone from rated by wattage to rating them with by the lumens that they put out. According to Light and motions website. Every 1 watt of power  equals 30 lumens. Therefore you're logic puts out 390 lumens. The Stella puts out 200 lumens. that would probably, as NK pointed out be really good for a bar (filler) light, but not a primary light.

That is not to say it is a bad light, but you might in that case just buy a new battery for the Solo and have a couple more years out of it.

I just bought an Arc Lion, and it is notably brighter and whiter than the solo logic that now resides on my bar.

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 09:12:36 PM »
Good info. thanks!

Offline Paragonman

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 10:48:07 PM »
Check out these guys: http://www.solarc.net/
900 lumens. And, you might recognize the 2 characters in the video; that's Raymond Wells (Pres of Ridgeriders) and Dave Meekers (aka Pimpie)
Nightrider offers this light as the Slickrock 900 http://www.niterider.com/prod_slickrock.shtml
This is gonna hurt

Anthem1

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 10:53:40 PM »
The Light & Motion sponsored guy's are running Stella's on thier helmets and Were using Arc's on the bars. I assume the Arc's will be replaced on the bars by the new LED Seca 700's.

Offline chainslap

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Chainslap
  • My Bike: Fuel EX 9.9 29er
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 11:53:01 PM »
There is no conversion from watts to lumens.

Watts measure the rate of energy conversion.
Lumens measure the perceived power of light.

Things to consider:
Burn time
Wavelength (color) of light... some give better depth preception
Width of beam... spot vs flood
Battery type... Lithium Ion, will be lighter, smaller and have little to no memory 

Offline Redriderpro

• Redriderpro
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Devinci Atlas carbon 29er
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 11:15:39 AM »
Go basic, get an AMOBEA!

I started with the spot and changed to the Flood, I'm very happy with the package and very happy with this guys customer service. ( outstanding! )

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=27134&cat=27

I make most of the SWAMP TNR rides if you want to see it in the dark.

I'll be the old guy on the Blue Ellsworth chasing a pack of fast single speed riders or if they are feeling nice I might be in front of them for a while....

"Big Dogs Like It Rough!"

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 11:23:31 AM »
Go basic, get an AMOBEA!

I started with the spot and changed to the Flood, I'm very happy with the package and very happy with this guys customer service. ( outstanding! )

I make most of the SWAMP TNR rides if you want to see it in the dark.

I'll be the old guy on the Blue Ellsworth chasing a pack of fast single speed riders or if they are feeling nice I might be in front of them for a while....

looks good I will check into that one!

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 05:12:10 PM »
Go basic, get an AMOBEA!

Redriderpro- how long have you had the lights? Do you feel the battery is a quality battery and will last several years? Has lack of adjustability for the light beam been a problem? Is that why you went to flood? Any other comments? Price and lumens looks really good.

" Not this time, Lance"

Offline Redriderpro

• Redriderpro
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Devinci Atlas carbon 29er
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 06:08:36 PM »
Got it last year, have used it 5 or 6 times. For what is actually a "home made" light kit, the quality seems great, extra battery pack is cheap. I did a little over two hours Tuesday, expect it will go 3 hours as he stated.

Beam is as good as my Topek HID, but unlike a HID it is instant on or instant off.

Unlike an HID it is cheap to repair if it breaks

I see no need for anything other than on/off. I suspect people use a low beam so teh battery last longer, the low beam on my HID is not much different than the high setting.

Went with the flood after two rides with the spot, I saw no need to see 100 plus yards out, need wide view for 25 to 50 yards for Florida trails, Out West the spot would be a better helmet light.

One of my fellow riders has a Stella 180, the Amoeba kills that light.

Come out to the TNR, see it up close. Ask Sandpine how it looks

I'll have it at the FTF Sat too.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 06:12:58 PM by Redriderpro »
"Big Dogs Like It Rough!"

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2008, 07:17:51 PM »
One of these night rides I'll check it out. The idear of building my own is very tempting.   Another plus for these lights is the weight savings on the wallet and  on the bike. Did you pay $200 large for the already assembled Amoeba? What would you guess is your lumens? 4-500?
" Not this time, Lance"

Advertisement: