Author Topic: 'tweener 26 - 29  (Read 1306 times)

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
'tweener 26 - 29
« on: November 12, 2008, 06:20:38 PM »
The Chiseler was saying that a bike between the standard size and the big hoopdees 29'ers was in the making. Is this going to be the perfect size? Are the 29'ers too big?  What say you 29 riders? Could the 29'er be downsized  a little bit and get an all around better ride?
 ???    ???    ???
" Not this time, Lance"

naked indian

Re: 'tweener 26 - 29
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 06:39:23 PM »
The Chiseler was saying that a bike between the standard size and the big hoopdees 29'ers was in the making. Is this going to be the perfect size? Are the 29'ers too big?  What say you 29 riders? Could the 29'er be downsized  a little bit and get an all around better ride?
 ???    ???    ???

I love the 29er 26er debate.  the 700c wheel size is the standard for any road bike and no one even thinks twice about if they are faster or not.  so why the big debate with mtb's I have no idea.  I think what your speaking on is 650B and its been around for a little while.  I am not going to tell anyone to try anything.  IMO I love the 29 its fast and it just cooks in all aspects of riding.  Plus I can easily put a cross tire on there or even a road tire not a luxury afforded to 26ers.  I think 29 as a wheel size is fine.  What really seperates the bikes is frame design and geometry now that is a completely different story.

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 07:52:18 PM »
Frame geometry is the crux of it but not all of it. Acceleration comes to mind.  Because of the bigger wheel size, adjustments to the geometry to compensate for the bigger wheel. Does that affect other aspects of handling/geometry design?  For example, do they open up the rake on the 29'ers to increase handling for the bigger wheel?  And if they do, a wider rake means slower response time, does it not? So if compromises in performance have to be made to accomodate the bigger wheel, would not the 'tweener wheel size be better?
No matter the frame designs or geometries, can one argue against this logic : The 'tweener is better than the 26 for all the reasons that a 29'er is currently better than a 26, but the 'tweener is also better than a 29'er for all the reasons that a 26 is currently better than a 29'er.   :o
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline mksandoz

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • roadie
    • my riding blog
  • My Bike: Cannondale F500 1x7 w/ Slicks
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 07:56:19 PM »
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades - Eddy Merckx

Offline MT

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • The rider formerly known as mtbker1224
    • Escape the Daily Grind
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 08:09:04 PM »
I'm working on converting my Surly 1X1 SS from 26" to 650B. As was mentioned before the real "magic" in going 27.5" is the fact that one can still utlize the "nimble" 26" frame geometry. For those of us vertically challenged riders (5'7") bigger wheels on a 26" platform just makes sense. For anyone interested; I'll post a report on the conversion as it progresses.

If you haven't already done so, check out the 650b palace blog spot. 

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 08:09:09 PM »
That might be it. Thanks for link.
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 08:17:03 PM »
I agree that the larger size (29) works better for some than others. Some of the bigger, longer legged guys really just fit better on the 29ers.
I have ridden a couple of 29er hardtails and truthfully didn't feel the smoothing out effect that I keep hearing about. I rode a hardtail for 3 plus years and really didn't feel much difference in that regard. I do believe that traveling over larger objects (logs etc.) there would be a real benefit to the big wheels.

The 650b wheels might be a good "'tween".

Also not to be too cynical, does anyone else think that changing the wheel size is an interesting way to sell more bikes?

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 09:18:04 PM »
sell! sell! sell!

Offline Paragonman

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 11:02:51 PM »
Also not to be too cynical, does anyone else think that changing the wheel size is an interesting way to sell more bikes?

No. 29ers took a while to catch on. Initially the wheel, tire, and fork choices were very limited. Companies have been resistant probably because the 29er community is small relative to their total sales.
This is gonna hurt

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 05:57:23 AM »
sell! sell! sell!

LOL. Thats what I was thinking about. Is the 29'er going to go the way of the Beta max or the 8 track tape?     :o     :o     :o
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline benjibbad

• Ninja Master Cyclist
    • MY Space
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 07:08:41 AM »
Nah the 29er is here to stay. I think the 26 may be going the way of the cassette tapes.  They were prime for a while until CDs came out. My only question is what will become of the 29er once the next big thing is realized.  What we are witnessing is the evolution of technology in the MTB world.  Some people embrace it.  Maybe 650B will be the next big thing, who knows it could even be a 32" wheel!!  We will just have to wait and see. Remember there is no such thing as perfect equipment, it all eventually gets phased out or broken.
Pedal fast, Hit hard - pain is temporary, and chicks dig scars!!

Check out the Blog:
http://scifdps.blogspot.com/

naked indian

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2008, 07:29:05 AM »
the 700C wheel is the most long lasting and existing bike component in bicycle history. It is the standard.  26 was something that was done not out of choice but out of lack of choice when the fathers of the sport started scrounging to build Klunkers.

I am only 5"8.
Luis is even shorter.
We both ride 29.
I dont ride custom.
But Luis does and I am 100% sure he loves his bike.
Anyone these days can get into a 29 if they want.
There is no need for a tweener.
However, I also believe strongly in the freedom to adventure and experiment.
So carry on!

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2008, 08:29:15 AM »
the 700C wheel is the most long lasting and existing bike component in bicycle history. It is the standard.  26 was something that was done not out of choice but out of lack of choice when the fathers of the sport started scrounging to build Klunkers. - Naked Indian

True. But is that fact relevant? The needs for the right sized MTB wheel, which has only been around for a short period of time, are different than the needs for the old historical  needs of the bicycle. Like rollin' into town for a loaf of bread and a bottle of vino.  Personal preferences will always differ but the masses will gravitate to whats best. The scale of economies will  merge with these technological advancements and the industry will eventually spend the money and re-tool their factories and the 26 and 29 will likely go away for better things. Its like musical chairs. When will the music stop playing for the 29'er? At what point will a potential sale be put on hold  because something better is just around the corner?   These market pressures are what determines the future. If a pro racer were to start winning on a 'tweener, then his competition will begin asking if thats what they need to do also, switch. Then the ball really gets rolling and the new size market takes off. This opens the market up for manipulation also, but eventually the masses find out for themselves whats best. Sponsored riders have their own motive$.   ;D
" Not this time, Lance"