Author Topic: Tire questions . . . Continental ????  (Read 1305 times)

Offline tangodown

• Huffy Rider
Tire questions . . . Continental ????
« on: October 31, 2008, 06:19:10 PM »
I need new tires.  Currently running Maxxis Rendez UST....  fast tires but they slip in mud and do not clean well at all.  Not starting a tire thread....   and do not want to use Nevegal UST again.  Has anyone tried the Schwalbe Nobby Nic UST or Continenal Mountain King 2.4 tires.  I had Conti tupe tires and loved them.  Im not fast or racer ric....  just like to play.    Any input?
I have the key to the city.

Offline benjibbad

• Ninja Master Cyclist
    • MY Space
Re: Tire questions . . . Continental ????
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 07:09:57 PM »
Try the Maxxis Ignitors, or the Continental Vertical Pro, both are good tires and should be more than enough out here.
Pedal fast, Hit hard - pain is temporary, and chicks dig scars!!

Check out the Blog:
http://scifdps.blogspot.com/

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 07:47:52 PM »
The only knock on Continental tires is that their side walls can be a little weak/prone to damage, but they are otherwise some quality tires.  I used to run Vertical Pro's and liked them for everything but hardpack.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Online Dan-o

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: NINER EMD 1X9
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 10:26:04 PM »
why didnt you like the Nevegals ?? too heavy?
wherever you go.....there you are.
Just a big Hooper!

Offline tangodown

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2008, 12:05:53 AM »
I used the Kendas one season.  Just want to try something new.  I loved the Panaracers but I want to stay with tubeless......  so they are out.  I read good things about the Cont Mountain King UST but have yet to see them on the trail......    makes me think twice.   And going online doesnt help.....   may just have to swing by AJ's, Im pretty sure they carry the Conti line of tires.   After last week riding on wet ground, my Maxxis are getting sent to spare tire bin.   
I have the key to the city.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008, 02:30:22 PM »
I used the Kendas one season.  Just want to try something new.  I loved the Panaracers but I want to stay with tubeless......  so they are out.  I read good things about the Cont Mountain King UST but have yet to see them on the trail......    makes me think twice.   And going online doesnt help.....   may just have to swing by AJ's, Im pretty sure they carry the Conti line of tires.   After last week riding on wet ground, my Maxxis are getting sent to spare tire bin.   

I like the ignitors that I  am riding now, and I think that the panaracers are really good. Especially for the money. You can run them tubeless, I did. They also make a ust ready version.

Offline Tootsjofus

• SWAMP Club Member
  • First Bike
  • My Bike: 2007 Yeti 575
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 08:09:01 AM »
I had the Conti Vertical Pro and loved them.  They had fantastic grip for most anything around here.  They lasted a very long time so I got my moneys worth.  I was going to replace them but had a hard time finding them.  I think they may be discontinued.  The Conti Mountain King looks very similar.

I replaced them with the Kenda Nevagal and have been very happy with them so far.  Look on ebay for tires, they have great prices.

Offline Alan

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: 2009 GF Paragon, 2008 Redline MC29er
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 08:55:27 PM »
Not sure if this will help your decision with the Mountain Kings, but I've been running the Conti Explorers with the protection sidewalls for about a year now (currently only running it on the front).  Never had a single puncture (***knock on wood***) and they seem to hold up well.  Traction is okay but the Conti tires seem to run on the small size...my 2.1 Explorer seems smaller than my 1.95 SB8. 

Anthem1

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 11:55:26 PM »
I really like those Explorer's Alan is refering too. You may also want to look at the Specialized Captain 2Bliss Control, they are a conventional cased tire for light weight but have a tubeless bead to keep them SOLID ;D

Offline Latte

• SWAMP Club Member
  • First Bike
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 08:23:41 PM »
I have the Mountain Kings on my 29er SS and love them! I have the 2.2 size though
Later,
Latte