Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Cracked frame  (Read 2518 times)

Offline J. Ryan

• Cycling Sherpa
Cracked frame
« on: November 17, 2008, 09:18:32 PM »
I've heard from a few people that the fisher frames have a tenancy to crack. I just found a crack on mine. :'( Does anyone know..

• Will Fisher replace it?
  • If so how long will it take to get the replacement?

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
Re: Cracked frame
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 09:39:35 PM »
They will replace it, no questions.  If it's ready to go it may take a week or two.  I have seen many frames crack, not just Fisher - Specialized, Lightspeed, Kona, Giant, Ellsworth.  It happens.  Thing is as long as they take care of it then it's time to ride again.  :-)

Offline J. Ryan

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 09:41:14 PM »
I'm assuming that they'll replace it with the current year frame?

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 10:04:23 PM »
I'm assuming that they'll replace it with the current year frame?

They replaced mine twice.  Actually the first time they upgraded me to a better frame and rear shock because the exact replacement wasn't available.  Then the second time they replaced the frame with the same upgraded version instead of going back to what I originally had bought, so that was cool!  Dropped 2 pounds overall on my bike.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 10:07:33 PM »
They will definitely replace it, Trek/Gary Fisher are usually very quick with that stuff.  If a newer frame is available they will replace it with that.

Offline Paragonman

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 12:23:24 AM »
I cracked my Paragon in the same place. I had the new frame in a little over a week. You bought the bike new, I hope. I think the lifetime frame warranty only applies to the original owner.
This is gonna hurt

naked indian

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 07:12:02 AM »
Another reason to ride steel or titanium, when will you boys learn!!!   Just kidding, relax,(you may smite now)

Offline J. Ryan

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 07:16:45 AM »
I cracked my Paragon in the same place. I had the new frame in a little over a week. You bought the bike new, I hope. I think the lifetime frame warranty only applies to the original owner.

Yes, I'm the original owner.

How does this work...will the bike shop change all of the components over to the new frame or am I responsible for that.

Also - There is a 5 year warranty on the crank. It keeps loosening up on me. Do you think they'll replace that as well?

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 07:40:11 AM »

How does this work...will the bike shop change all of the components over to the new frame or am I responsible for that.

Also - There is a 5 year warranty on the crank. It keeps loosening up on me. Do you think they'll replace that as well?

Yes, the deal works like this - take the bike back to where you bought it, or the dealer your working with; they snap a picture and the Rep looks at it either through e-mail, or on his rounds sees it in the shop, puts the order in and the shop does the whole transfer at no charge.  Be sure to tell them of the crank issue too and all should be taken care of.

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008, 07:40:44 AM »
Think you cracked it at santos? Should not be a prob.

Offline MT

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • The rider formerly known as mtbker1224
    • Escape the Daily Grind
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2008, 07:41:37 AM »

Dude, this sucks! Weren't you and Kevin just talking about this very subject... like... 2 weeks ago? I hear that GF is very good about looking after these things; however, I recommend that you leave your bike assembled and take it to your LBS (ASAP) so that they can view the damage. I imagine they'll be looking to see how much of your seat post is exposed (above the seat post clamp). Once they see that this is due to a design issue (GF frames are well known for this failure) I imagine that they'll get a replacement frame on order for you right away. AND definitely ring up the crank arm issue. If they won't rebuild the bike for you, then don't sweat it, Kevin and I can build a bike just as well (OK, better) that most bike shops around here.

Don't waste any time dude, jump on this right away.

Offline J. Ryan

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2008, 07:49:45 AM »
I'll be heading over to Ryder Bikes as soon as they open this morning.

Would they reject it if the seat post is too far up? I know it's way up because I'm so tall.

Yes, Kevin and I were just talking about this a few days ago. I've had conversations with a few guys about this issue. The first was with paragonman at the last Thursday night ride. I was getting everything ready to go on the night ride tonight when I noticed it. I'm sure it's been developing for a while now but just happened to separate at Santos. This sucks, I probably won't get it back before thanksgiving which means I'll probably be off the bike for 2 weeks or so. I'm going to have to do some catching up on training once I get it back.

Offline MT

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • The rider formerly known as mtbker1224
    • Escape the Daily Grind
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2008, 07:57:28 AM »
I'll be heading over to Ryder Bikes as soon as they open this morning.

Would they reject it if the seat post is too far up? I know it's way up because I'm so tall.

Yes, Kevin and I were just talking about this a few days ago. I've had conversations with a few guys about this issue. The first was with paragonman at the last Thursday night ride. I was getting everything ready to go on the night ride tonight when I noticed it. I'm sure it's been developing for a while now but just happened to separate at Santos. This sucks, I probably won't get it back before thanksgiving which means I'll probably be off the bike for 2 weeks or so. I'm going to have to do some catching up on training once I get it back.

There should be a line closer to the bottom of the post indicating the max point to which the post can be raised above the seat tube / seat post clamp on the frame. 

Offline KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Smite master!
    • Raymond James Financial Services
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2008, 07:57:50 AM »
...just make sure the seatpost is within its parameters before it goes to the bikeshop...*hint*
We continuously seek feedback from you as to how we can improve our policies and procedures since our primary goal is to act in partnership with you. If you have any questions or need to report any problems on the SWAMP forum, please send me a PM and I will get back with you ASAP.

Offline J. Ryan

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2008, 08:00:52 AM »
...just make sure the seatpost is within its parameters before it goes to the bikeshop...*hint*

roger that. Thanks.

Advertisement: