Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Front suspension  (Read 1786 times)

Offline silentneko

• Clipless Mountain Goat
Front suspension
« on: November 19, 2008, 10:20:39 AM »
I'm sidelined for now. I took my bike into bent's yesterday after riding the easy stuff with a friend. My rear disk breaks were makin a funny noise and as he was adjusting them he noticed something else.......my forks had like 1/8 inch play in them. something inside the shock broke loose so now I have to wait for another one to come in. I'm kinda pissed about this.
What I need to know is does this happen often or is it just a freak occurance on my bike? I have a specialized hardrock disc I bought about 7-8 months ago. Could hanging my bike in the garage helped this happen or am I just to hard on my bike?

Offline benjibbad

• Ninja Master Cyclist
    • MY Space
Re: Front suspension
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 10:26:42 AM »
what kind of fork is it? Either way I have heard of forks going bad after sitting around for a while.  Maybe you are hard on it.  Either way parts break, and it offers great opportunity for upgrades!!
Pedal fast, Hit hard - pain is temporary, and chicks dig scars!!

Check out the Blog:
http://scifdps.blogspot.com/

Offline silentneko

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 11:09:54 AM »
just talked to the bike shop and apparently there was a recal on my fork, that run of them had defective seals at the top. the shocks are SR suntour, which I'm sure is a lower end brand. I think I'm fairly rough on the bike, but it should be able to take what I'm giving it for being so new. 

I'm starting to wonder about upgrades now, I'm low on cash for the moment but when I do get money again would you guys upgrade components or should I just be looking at a higher level bike?

Offline benjibbad

• Ninja Master Cyclist
    • MY Space
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 11:47:39 AM »
There is nothing wrong with the hard rock it is a good bike. Though the Suntour fork does leave a lot to be desired. Considering your need to be riding more techincal stuff at carter, I would probably upgrade the fork as soon as you can afford it.  It will change your ride dramatically.

Check out the Blog:

Offline silentneko

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 11:54:48 AM »
not that I have the money for it, but what would you suggest for a new fork, what price range? do I really need a lockout?
wheres a good place to find bike parts outside of the LBS? any good sites?

Offline benjibbad

• Ninja Master Cyclist
    • MY Space
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 12:02:45 PM »
I personally like the FOX RLC forks or the REBA. The fox is a bit more expensive but seemed the best fit for my 29er.  One of the things to look for is what type of riding are you going to be doing.  For most stuff around here an air sprung for works best.  Something there you are able to adjust the re-bound and dampening.  Lock outs are usefull for climbing and for long flat terrain.  Really what it allows is when you are hammering away at the bike trying to go faster to trying to push yuor self up the hill, the front fork doesn't take away your momentum or "bob".  When you go to buy a fork you lbs would be the best place just incase you have warranty issue like you are having now.  But you can typically find them on E-bay or Craigslist, just be careful.  If the fork has blown or bad seals or is bent, it could cost more to repair it then getting a new fork.

Check out the Blog:

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 12:34:33 PM »
Jensonusa.com or Pricepoint.com

Rock Shox Dart series are usually very cheap but you get what you pay for. If you running a SR suntour (very low end fork) then a Dart 1-$80 will only be slightly better. Dart 3-$150 would offer a fairly big difference. Get 100mm not the 80mm unless you just ride flatwoods or that is what your bike came with and it works well for you. Also, if you want something other than the Dart make sure you order a quick release skewer style fork instead of 20mm axle. Read reviews on mtbr.com before ordering.

Don't bother putting a $500+ Fox fork on a Hardrock. That's kinda like spending 3k on rims for a Honda Civic. Not that there is anything wrong with a Honda Civic......
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2008, 12:59:09 PM »
The Dart is entry level. Probably not much different from your fork. It would be a waste of money.

You would be well served to see if you can find a used Reba. It is 90 percent as good as the Fox, and you might be able to find one for cheap money.

Offline Paragonman

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2008, 01:37:38 PM »
You can pick up a manitou Black on e-bay for cheap. It's a simple fork but very durable. I ran one on an all-mountain rig for 2 years.
This is gonna hurt

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2008, 01:49:59 PM »

The Dart is entry level. Probably not much different from your fork. It would be a waste of money.

The hardrock is a entry level "recreational" bike ($450) so I matched you up with a better but still entry level fork. My buddy has been running a used Dart 1 twice a week on Alafia's hardest trails. Almost a year with NO issues. He may be lucky though because they don't exactly have good reviews. New Reba's go for $500-$700 depending on options so your looking at least $250 used on ebay. I've seen them go for much more since they seem to be loved by many. Unless you plan on slowly building up the other components on your hardrock frame until you can afford to upgrade the actual frame I'd stick with components within your bikes classification. Keep in mind resale value since just about everyone eventually upgrades from their base model hardtail. There are tons of $500 hardtails on ebay/Craigslist because the owner has upgraded to full suspension or even a high end hardtail. Typically, someone who is looking to buy your old used Hardrock will not want to pay well over what it is worth because you put a sweet fork on it.
I'm on a $2000+ bike and I think a Reba may actually be an upgrade for me.

Now I must mention that I'm as much of a bike-snob as the next guy but until you are cursed with this syndrome save your money.

Note: I also ran a Manitou Black for over a year with NO problems.

Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline silentneko

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 10:25:49 AM »
DAG NABIT!!!! I was looking at my girls bike yesterday (giant rincon) and I think her bike has the same loose fork issue. when I hold the front brakes hard and push the bike back and forth I can feel a slight wobble, not much but maybe 1/16 of an inch. that fork is also a SR. I just have no luck.

Advertisement: