Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: hardtail vs dual suspension  (Read 10597 times)

Offline silentneko

• Clipless Mountain Goat
hardtail vs dual suspension
« on: November 19, 2008, 02:20:06 PM »
what are the pros and cons of each? I have a specialized hardrock(hardtail) right now and when its not in the shop seems to work great and is comfortable for me. but in the future I may want to upgrade to something else. what are the pros of going squishy or staying rigid? cons?

naked indian

Re: hardtail vs dual suspension
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 02:41:31 PM »
I think there are positives and negatives to both.
And you will hear each person spout what they like about either.

But, Me, Im a hardtail kind of guy.  Why, cause I hate all the extra moving parts, the simpler the better.  I had a full suspension bike and I never really liked it and never really got to get something out of it.

But I am 100% sure there are people out there that would not ride without one.

In the end, no matter what anyone says its preferance.  Test ride one next time they got a demo somewhere and see for yourself.

The real question is not hard tail or Full suspension, its 26 or 29. 

I cant even count how many times I have blown by a 26 full suspension on a downhill as if they were standing still.

And I was on my 29er hardtail.

;)

Offline J. Ryan

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 02:43:58 PM »
The real question is not hard tail or Full suspension, its 26 or 29. 

I cant even count how many times I have blown by a 26 full suspension on a downhill as if they were standing still.

And I was on my 29er hardtail.

;)

Amen

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 02:45:54 PM »
Oh boy.. here we go again... LOL

Offline KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Smite master!
    • Raymond James Financial Services
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 02:46:32 PM »
Clearly it is because you are a naked indian. You slice through the wind more efficently.
We continuously seek feedback from you as to how we can improve our policies and procedures since our primary goal is to act in partnership with you. If you have any questions or need to report any problems on the SWAMP forum, please send me a PM and I will get back with you ASAP.

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 02:47:46 PM »
With a hardtail you get more pedal power to the ground. Even the most expensive full suspension bikes lose some efficiency due to pedal bobbing. If you don't know what pedal bobbing is.....next time your driving down the road watch that guy on the full suspension Wal-Mart Mongoose and you'll notice the bike "bobbing" every time he powers down on the pedals. Or better yet, go hardcore and ride one inside Wal-Mart and it will only take you a min to decide that "bobbing" sucks big time. That , of course, is an extreme case. Most higher end full suspension bikes have shock settings to combat this problem. Pro-pedal is Fox's solution. Stable platform valve or SPV was Manitou's version. I had an older Fox Float that had a lock out feature. It didn't actually make the rear suspension rigid , just made it very difficult to compress. It allowed me to use my full suspension bike on paved loops without the "bob". From what I've gathered many people in the club own one or more of each bike so that they're ready for any trail conditions. Must be nice.

Like everything there is a trade off. Ride a hardtail and you'll need to have your teeth replaced once a year due to chatter. Plus hardtails have a nasty habit of bucking less experienced riders over the handlebars (witnessed and experienced this many times). You may ride faster and longer depending on what kind of trail your on.
Ride a full suspension and deal with some loss in efficiency. Fly down root infested trails like superman. But the only thing to consider is that fact that full suspension bikes look way cooler and that's all that matters in the Swamp club.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 02:51:42 PM by catman »
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

naked indian

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 02:49:59 PM »
With a hardtail you get more pedal power to the ground. Even the most expensive full suspension bikes lose some efficiency due to pedal bobbing. If you don't know what pedal bobbing is.....next time your driving down the road watch that guy on the full suspension Wal-Mart Mongoose and you'll notice the bike "bobbing" every time he powers down on the pedals. Or better yet, go hardcore and ride one inside Wal-Mart and it will only take you a min to decide that "bobbing" sucks big time. That , of course, is an extreme case. Most higher end full suspension bikes have shock settings to combat this problem. Pro-pedal is Fox's solution. Stable platform valve or SPV was Manitou's version. I had an older Fox Float that had a lock out feature. It didn't actually make the rear suspension rigid , just made it very difficult to compress. It allowed me to use my full suspension bike on paved loops without the "bob". From what I've gathered many people in the club own one or more of each bike so that they're ready for any trail conditions. Must be nice.

Like everything there is a trade off. Ride a hardtail and you'll need to have your teeth replaced once a year due to chatter. Plus hardtails have a nasty habit of bucking the rider over the handlebars. You may ride faster and longer depending on what kind of trail your on.
Ride a full suspension and deal with some loss in efficiency. Fly down root infested trails like superman. But the only thing to consider is that fact that full suspension bikes look way cooler and that's all that matters in the Swamp club.

LMAO! Best Response EVER!
FYI, my teeth dont chatter.

And yes its because of my nudityness that I go downhill so fast!!!

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2008, 02:57:07 PM »
But the only thing to consider is that fact that full suspension bikes look way cooler and that's all that matters in the Swamp club.

Doh!  Dat's cold man.  I see full squish riders doing a lot more than look cool.  Some don't even pull that off to well.

Offline benjibbad

• Ninja Master Cyclist
    • MY Space
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2008, 03:05:10 PM »
Well I have one of each, a 29er HT SS and a 26" FS w/gears both offer a different type of ride and I use them for different conditions.  The HT is faster on the climbs but the FS smooths out the chatter on the bigger obsticals. I have to choose my lines better with the HT but the FS I just use the straightest path ahead. I like the 29er it is great it really does smooth out the smaller bumps, so I have decided to build a FS 29er to replace my current FS ride.

On some of the bombing downhills we have in FL:) the roots and rocks definately affect a HTs ability to keep your back tire in contact with the ground. A FS usually tracks better in this instance.  Just my .02 afghani's
But the only thing to consider is that fact that full suspension bikes look way cooler and that's all that matters in the Swamp club.

Doh!  Dat's cold man.  I see full squish riders doing a lot more than look cool.  Some don't even pull that off to well.

See Gregg   ;D At least the bike is pretty!!
Pedal fast, Hit hard - pain is temporary, and chicks dig scars!!

Check out the Blog:
http://scifdps.blogspot.com/

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2008, 03:08:30 PM »
IMO, full suspension designs are too good these days to not get one.  I'll sacrifice some pedal efficiency for added traction any day when riding off road.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline silentneko

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2008, 03:12:01 PM »
Umm.....Damn I didn't think I'd get a bunch of responses so fast. I think I'm in agreement about the simplicity comment. sitting at the store yesterday looking at bikes and thinking about everything that has gone wrong in the last 6-8 months since I bought my bike (bad machining of the rear hub  ::), bad shock seal >:(, rattling rear brakes ???, right grip slipped off coming down a hill :o.....) made me think. I think I'll stick to a rigid cause with my luck if I got a full squish the rear shock would go shooting off into the forest halfway down rollercoaster.

Offline benjibbad

• Ninja Master Cyclist
    • MY Space
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2008, 03:15:38 PM »
go SS Rigid 29er can't get much more simple than that!!
Pedal fast, Hit hard - pain is temporary, and chicks dig scars!!

Check out the Blog:
http://scifdps.blogspot.com/

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2008, 03:39:27 PM »
Fixed gear
Unicycle
your own two feet
just staying home and sitting on the couch

How far do we want to take this 'simpler is better' mentality?
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

naked indian

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2008, 03:45:31 PM »
Fixed gear
Unicycle
your own two feet
just staying home and sitting on the couch

How far do we want to take this 'simpler is better' mentality?

Bill, not that simpler is better.
Just that simpler is easier.
Lower maintenance to some is important.
My geared bike is still dirty from a race I did in mid October. 
My LBS knows when they build me something its got to be easy to maintain cause Im lazy and dont like to have a bike that needs so much love.
My FS, man I had to pump the tires the shocks I needed to set sag and then when I maintained it I had seals and bearings and OMG.
To some, simple is better.
But some thrive on complexity,  Both are good, but to each his own.
Like I said, you will find guys that will like one over the other all day.  I know that if I was going to whistler to do downhill runs all day, I want some serious suspension.  But if I am going to climb all day I want my Hardtail.
Its all a matter of preference.

Luis

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2008, 03:54:55 PM »
SOME hardtails are lighter than SOME FS bikes
SOME FS bikes are lighter than SOME hardtails
SOME FS bikes descend better than SOME hardtails
SOME Hardtails descend better than SOME FS bikes
SOME FS bikes climb better than SOME hardtails
SOME hardtails climb better than SOME FS bikes

See what I'm getting at?  This debate could go for 10 pages. 

Advertisement: