Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: cold weather riding  (Read 2402 times)

Offline Tony Buchman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: '08 Giant Trance X2, 2012 Kona Hei Hei 29er
cold weather riding
« on: November 19, 2008, 06:36:24 PM »
I'm going to Indiana for Thanksgiving and I'm going to have the opportunity to ride the trails in Brown county. The temps will probably be in the 40s but could be lower. My question is how should I dress? I got a pair of cold weather tights but that's all the "special" clothing I've got the cash for.
I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity.

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
Re: cold weather riding
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 06:49:18 PM »
Layers, with a wind breaker on the outside.  Carry your camelback so you can peel stuff off and pack it. Good luck on the weather.
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline Tony Buchman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 08:47:56 AM »
Layers, with a wind breaker on the outside.  Carry your camelback so you can peel stuff off and pack it. Good luck on the weather.

Thanks, didn't think about a wind breaker.

naked indian

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 09:09:46 AM »

Thanks, didn't think about a wind breaker.

One Word Brother: WOOL.

Get some Wool socks, they are the BEST

Offline KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Smite master!
    • Raymond James Financial Services
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 09:16:58 AM »
Smartwool socks....(burned the cotton socks).
We continuously seek feedback from you as to how we can improve our policies and procedures since our primary goal is to act in partnership with you. If you have any questions or need to report any problems on the SWAMP forum, please send me a PM and I will get back with you ASAP.

Offline eclark

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 10:17:59 AM »
If you are wearing warm weather shoes and you don't have space for huntin socks, get the bootys.  You can also just wrap your shoes with something and tape in place or even just put a layer of duct tape to keep the vents closed.  Get a skully to go under your helmet, those vents let a ton of cold in.  When it got real cold at home, something for the face is great, but it has to go on and off easy, I have a push down mask.  It's great for robbing convenience stores too.  These guys were dead on when they said layers, I like a base pair of acrylic long johns and shirt, then a jersey, then a thin fleece, then a windbreaker.  On the bottom, I will wear long johns, then tights, and possibly shorts or pants over if needed.  I take layers off when I am still a little cool, to avoid sweating stuff up.  I have heavier than normal gloves, they are actually snowboarding park gloves but anything will work.  At 40 it isn't that bad, at 30 though, you really need to be bundled and I won't ride under 25, it burns my lungs up.  Have a great time man. 

Offline Harvey

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 11:26:38 AM »
It was in the low 40s when I rode on the road this morning. I wore: Shorts, fleecy tights, base layer, short sleeve jersey, arm warmers, midweight long sleeve jersey, vest, thick wool socks, shoe covers, windproof toe booties, windproof gloves, fleecy headband. Riding off-road you'll probably need less, but you get the idea.

One thing about head coverings: I don't use one until it gets well into the 30s because I generate a ton of heat and covering my head makes me sweat like a pig.

For an off-road ride in similar temps I'd probably ditch the short sleeve jersey, arm warmers and shoe covers.

Luis

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 11:32:30 AM »
It was in the low 40s when I rode on the road this morning. I wore: Shorts, fleecy tights, base layer, short sleeve jersey, arm warmers, midweight long sleeve jersey, vest, thick wool socks, shoe covers, windproof toe booties, windproof gloves, fleecy headband. Riding off-road you'll probably need less, but you get the idea.

One thing about head coverings: I don't use one until it gets well into the 30s because I generate a ton of heat and covering my head makes me sweat like a pig.

For an off-road ride in similar temps I'd probably ditch the short sleeve jersey, arm warmers and shoe covers.

Was there snow on the ground when you left the house?  :D

naked indian

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008, 11:37:09 AM »

Was there snow on the ground when you left the house?  :D

LMAO

Offline Harvey

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2008, 11:39:06 AM »
What can I say - I have no natural insulation. ;)

Luis

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2008, 11:41:29 AM »
What can I say - I have no natural insulation. ;)

That is true...

We need to hook up for a dirt ride soon...

Offline Tony Buchman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2008, 03:03:59 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions. Just checked the forcast, looks like it's gonna be in the mid 30's. Definately gonna have to find something for my face.

Offline Harvey

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2008, 10:31:24 PM »
Definitely. I'm in Rochester until Sunday for my brother's wedding, but I'm thinking about camping at Santos next Friday - Sunday.

Luis

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2008, 07:06:15 AM »
Definitely. I'm in Rochester until Sunday for my brother's wedding, but I'm thinking about camping at Santos next Friday - Sunday.

That is a definite possibility...do they allow dogs in the campground? (I would think so if you're going).

Offline J. Ryan

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2008, 07:15:35 AM »
I rode in the snow a lot in Washington and the one thing I had trouble keeping warm were my hands. Make sure you find some good Gloves!

Advertisement: