Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: December Workday Question of Much Importance  (Read 2323 times)

Offline eclark

• Cycling Sherpa
December Workday Question of Much Importance
« on: November 21, 2008, 06:30:16 PM »
  Holy cow, I just looked at a video of Bend, OR that billt put up here someplace, sweeeeet!! 

I have a serious question, can we build the type of jumps they have in that video??  Maybe even a set if we can find the right spot?  They are not really jumps, there is no lip, there is absolutely no issue riding over them.  It is basically that jump into the "skidding turn jump" only someplace where we can have a nice run out.  There is even one already built on gatorback, just in an inconvenient spot.  The jump part is only 16" high or so, and almost no one jumps it because it there is a tough off camber section preceding it.  Seriously, there is minimal fixing to to this workday, lets do something cool.  The section on bridges is treacherous, but you can ride it as 3 rhythm jumps if you carry enough speed at the top.  It makes perfect sense that we could duplicate something already found in the park in a safer spot.

So whats up Art?  Can we have a preview of next week?  Any clue what we are gonna do?  If nothing else, that other thread about skidding has me all excited about Decembers workday.  Is that crazy?  Seriously Art, get nice and mellow, drink a couple beers and then figure out if we can put some rollers in here or there.  If you have to run it by park people, feed 'em some magic brownies first or something.  I really think this would be a harmless addition that the everyone would enjoy and could ride easily, and there are even a number of sections in the park that it would almost duplicate.  I built a little section like this at my NJ trails as my 6 year old nephew's little trail, but the grownups started doubling it up after it was ridden in.  It was a ton of fun!!   Hopefully this idea will get some support.  See everyone next weekend!!     

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
Re: December Workday Question of Much Importance
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 06:37:26 PM »
I would love to see a rhythm section at Alafia. That little whoop section on North Creek as well as Rollercoaster are super fun even though you can't really get  a run at it.
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Smite master!
    • Raymond James Financial Services
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 07:21:23 PM »
Like SFG said in the other thread, no hard feelings with anyone. This is exactly what I was indirectly looking for, you guys cranking out ideas like Eric mentioned above. Nothing crazy or gnarly, just some spicy sauce to an already cool place. So count me in and lets spice up Alafia with some of Eric's ideas.
We continuously seek feedback from you as to how we can improve our policies and procedures since our primary goal is to act in partnership with you. If you have any questions or need to report any problems on the SWAMP forum, please send me a PM and I will get back with you ASAP.

Online BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 07:26:36 PM »
I'd like to see something similar to the pump track at Santos, but a bit straighter and running down a slight incline...like maybe around the area by Shelly's loop - some open space and some elevation and far enough removed from the trailhead to no get excessive attention.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 07:53:56 PM »
First off, I'm glad nobody has any hard feelings!

Second off, I know Art has been talking for awhile about adding some trail to Moonscape, and we have also talked about redoing the climb on Rollercoaster after that last open area, adding some steps or something.

So what is on the agenda Art? Lets get some good trail work enthusiasm going here! Just wait until you see my new trail maintanence tool, it makes my old trimmer look like weaksauce! ;)
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline eclark

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 08:41:49 PM »
  Right on with the santos pumptrack thought.  Something you can roll through or gap up if you are feeling punchy.  No worries about hard feelings, I will always tell ya how I feel, but it is only cause I like to share.

Guys, when gatorback was closed forever, some of us rallied to get a big work day organized.  From that, we made it a point to make the regular workdays and I really hope that having some more seasoned guys to help made a difference.  Now I sure hope Art can reward all us little Artamaniacs with a wonderful gift of trail.

See you suckas tomorrow.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 09:36:00 PM »
  Right on with the santos pumptrack thought.  Something you can roll through or gap up if you are feeling punchy.  No worries about hard feelings, I will always tell ya how I feel, but it is only cause I like to share.

Guys, when gatorback was closed forever, some of us rallied to get a big work day organized.  From that, we made it a point to make the regular workdays and I really hope that having some more seasoned guys to help made a difference.  Now I sure hope Art can reward all us little Artamaniacs with a wonderful gift of trail.

See you suckas tomorrow.

Take some credit E, you were a big, big part of getting the best trail in the state back open!

I like that, Artamaniacs! :D
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline Jonesy

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 10:41:07 PM »
I agree. If there is 4 or5 of us willing to tackle something like this,  we could knock it out in two days. Seems like the time of year to be tackling this kind of work

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 10:48:33 PM »
Hey Jonesy, if we get a couple guys your size I agree. If it us mere mortals it may take a few more though! :)

Advertisement: