Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Maintenance  (Read 2717 times)

Offline granade

• First Bike
Maintenance
« on: November 23, 2008, 07:40:38 PM »
How and what do you guys do to maintain your rides? I keep mine outside and its kinda of rusty. Any way to get that off, it s not that bad. Also, i have never greased the gears. Any advise is appreciated...
PSN:granade

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9, Niner One9
Re: Maintenance
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 08:03:23 PM »
I keep mine outside....

no love......tsk, tsk, tsk

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 08:40:08 PM »
How and what do you guys do to maintain your rides? I keep mine outside and its kinda of rusty. Any way to get that off, it s not that bad. Also, i have never greased the gears. Any advise is appreciated...

If you like your bike and you want it to perform well for you and last a long time you need to take care of it.  A car you can leave outside; it's designed that way.  A bike - not so much.  I have a rack in my living room that holds my four bikes.  I keep the chain cleaned and lubed, clean and lube my cables and housings, clean and lube or grease if warranted all pivot points and moving parts.  I still have my first mountain bike, a nice hardtail from 1997, and it rides as good as new.  Took 2nd place in a race with it.

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 08:49:17 PM »
Is the bike under any sort of covering? What kind of bike do you have? Full suspension or hardtail? Low quality or high quality?
Regardless you'll need to at least keep the chain cleaned and lubed if you want to get any kinda life out of the drive train. They sell fancy chain cleaners and lube at the bike shop but they are expensive. Then again chains, cassettes, and chainrings are much more expensive. A clean and lubed chain makes quite a difference on the trail believe it or not. Plus it doesn't wear out the rest of your components as quickly.
You'll also want to keep your cassette (rear gears) clean of excess gunk. Gunk build up affects your shifting quality. I spray my cassette with simple green, scrub it with special park tool cassette cleaning brush, hose it off lightly, avoiding direct spray into the hub bearing/axle area and dry it off with compressed air. I use a park tool chain scrubber/cleaner $$$ with bio citrus cleaner because you don't have to remove the chain from the bike and it's ok for the enviroment. That also saves like $3 a cleaning for the Shimano master pin that is required for Shimano chains. Sram chains are simple because they have a master link that technically doesn't require any tools to remove/install. Make sure to run the bike though all the gears and then wipe off the chain before riding it on the trail. Excess lube just attracts dirt.

Less often but not to be ignored are your brake and derailleur cables. Minimum, you should get a good lube from the bike store and apply it to the openings/ends of your cable housings while moving or actuating the cable. You can also hold a rag saturated with lube around your cable to do this. Best way to do it is to disconnect the cable ends and pull the housings off in order to apply quality lube into the entire length of each. Problem with this is you will most likely affect your derailleur (shifter mechanisms at rear and front sprockets/chainrings) adjustment even if you put the cable back in the exact same place.

If you have a low quality bike you'll need to do maintenance more often if you want the components to last. Department store bikes are not really intended to be ridden off road on a regular basis. Of course you can always support the local bike shop and pay them $50 to do it. If you have an expensive bike it may be worth it but if it's cheapy then you could just replace the bike for the cost of two-three tune ups. I've been told that some bike shops won't even work on Wal-Mart bikes. The first link below covers most of the basics and then some.

http://bicycletutor.com/chain-lubrication/

http://bicycletutor.com/rust-removal/

http://bicycletutor.com/lubricants/

http://bicycletutor.com/lube-brake-shift-cables/

http://www.parktool.com/
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 08:57:22 PM by catman »
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline granade

• First Bike
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 09:33:41 AM »
Thanks for the tips. Thats a lot of tech talk and i dont understand half of it but those links shoud help.   ;)
PSN:granade

Offline J. Ryan

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 12:18:29 PM »
I keep my bikes inside the garage to keep them away from the weather. I would keep them in the house bur my wife might have something to say about that. This is what I do after every ride:

• Take the chain off and clean in mineral spirits
  • Wash the frame and fork
  • Clean any lube and dirt buildup from all components
  • Re-install and lube the chain
  • Check the rear derailleur adjustment
  • Wipe the rotors off with rubbing alcohol

I had a lot of problems issues with the performance of my bike until I started doing this routine.

naked indian

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 12:25:56 PM »
I keep my bikes inside the garage to keep them away from the weather. I would keep them in the house bur my wife might have something to say about that. This is what I do after every ride:

• Take the chain off and clean in mineral spirits
  • Wash the frame and fork
  • Clean any lube and dirt buildup from all components
  • Re-install and lube the chain
  • Check the rear derailleur adjustment
  • Wipe the rotors off with rubbing alcohol

I had a lot of problems issues with the performance of my bike until I started doing this routine.

Buy Better bikes.
LOL
  I clean and lube the chain once every couple of rides.
Wipe it down and lube the shifter cables every couple of rides.
change the chain every 2000 miles per bike.

Thats IT!

and I practically run a fleet of bikes, I got three, wifes got two, and each boy has one bike. thats 8 bikes in the shop!

Offline J. Ryan

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 12:50:06 PM »
Buy Better bikes.

You offering?

naked indian

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 12:53:42 PM »
Buy Better bikes.

You offering?

Im too short, you cant ride the bikes I ride!

O, wait, buy you a new bike.  Sure, let me know when and where and I will gladly hand your money over to whomever you like! LMAO!

Offline MT

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • The rider formerly known as mtbker1224
    • Escape the Daily Grind
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 01:02:42 PM »
I usually weight my down with a few stones and then immerse it the lake (retention pond) behind my house. This way it won't get blown away in case of high winds, nor will it be stolen. ;)

naked indian

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2008, 01:04:26 PM »
I usually weight my down with a few stones and then immerse it the lake (retention pond) behind my house. This way it won't get blown away in case of high winds, nor will it be stolen. ;)

Interesting MT. I dont think you need to weight it down though, just toss it in there and make sure you can locate it later...LOL!

Offline MT

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • The rider formerly known as mtbker1224
    • Escape the Daily Grind
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2008, 01:29:30 PM »
The water keeps the headset, BB, and Chain lubed nicely. Also, the bike gets a wash ech time I ride it.  ;D

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2008, 04:04:49 PM »
Man tread with all of that maint how do you get time to ride?! :o  I hose the bike down every now and then and wipe the chain with an old sock and put some 813 racing lube on it "bammm"! I am done!

Offline KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Smite master!
    • Raymond James Financial Services
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2008, 04:26:59 PM »
I guess I am a loser...I like to re-pack my bearings.... lol
We continuously seek feedback from you as to how we can improve our policies and procedures since our primary goal is to act in partnership with you. If you have any questions or need to report any problems on the SWAMP forum, please send me a PM and I will get back with you ASAP.

Offline J. Ryan

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2008, 05:30:32 PM »
Man tread with all of that maint how do you get time to ride?! :o  I hose the bike down every now and then and wipe the chain with an old sock and put some 813 racing lube on it "bammm"! I am done!

20 min tops. I tried letting it go for a few rides but it doesn't seem to work for me.

Advertisement: