Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Economy  (Read 2231 times)

Offline Jim DeLuca

• Cycling Sherpa
Economy
« on: November 26, 2008, 07:45:55 AM »
Wow...it seems like the economy has not affected the MTB community.  I'm about to take on a second job, and deciding if I'm gonna sell my bike as I will be working 7 days a week and will be giving up riding for awhile.  Anyone want to share how their thoughts?

Anthem1

Re: Economy
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 07:48:11 AM »
Don't sell, give it to me for safe keeping. When you come back it will be there waiting freshly tuned and lubed ;D

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 08:04:00 AM »
Is there a problem with the economy?
My bike is more than a toy; it's my vessel.

Offline Jim DeLuca

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 08:05:00 AM »
Its sounds good. but there is a place called the pawn shop that will keep it for me, and give me money! ;D

naked indian

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 08:07:32 AM »
Its sounds good. but there is a place called the pawn shop that will keep it for me, and give me money! ;D

Damn thats a bummer brother.  Why dont you keep your bike ride it more drive less and save money that way.
Or cut the cable off or the internet.  But your bike, the pawn shop aint going to give you nothing for it.
Im bummed for u man, thats a harsh decision to have to make.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 08:24:50 AM »
Throw a change of clothes in a small backpack and ride to work; saves on gas money - and tell your insurer that you are commuting to work by bike so they may reduce your rate. Reduce phone services, just run basic cable.  If the bike is paid for what you'll get at a pawn shop is insignificant to the health benefits of keeping it and riding whenever you can.

Wow...it seems like the economy has not affected the MTB community.  I'm about to take on a second job, and deciding if I'm gonna sell my bike as I will be working 7 days a week and will be giving up riding for awhile.  Anyone want to share how their thoughts?

Offline Big Hooper

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: SIR9. One bike, one gear
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 08:32:30 AM »
you would be suprised at how much you can cut back on. Make a strict budget. Shop around for groceries. Cut my family budget from 8-900 month on groceries to about 500. Shopping around and not always going to the store to pick up things during the week. Check car insurance - everyone is writing policies and getting cheap. Cut mine by 350 for 6 months. There are ways to save money. Its amazing what you can do without.

Keep the bike .... you will need it for a welcome break. It will clear the mind.
wherever you go.....there you are.
Just a big Hooper!

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 08:32:49 AM »

Offline JohnnyB

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Single Track Mind
  • My Bike: '06 Kona Coiler
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008, 08:43:22 AM »
I cut back to basic cable and internet.  Started riding my bike to the store when I had time.  I even stopped drinking as much, I bring my meals to work (when I have groceries to make a meal), went on a shared cel phone plan (but beware this didn't really save us much money)

just a few ideas
FrAnKenBiKe V2.0 - Payed Forward

http://bikesboardsandbeer.blogspot.com/

Anthem1

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 08:43:59 AM »
As everyone has stated, your bike is worth more to your mental and physical health than the woth it would bring to your wallet. Now stop all this crazy talk and come ride with us Saturday at Boyette :)

Offline JohnnyB

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Single Track Mind
  • My Bike: '06 Kona Coiler
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2008, 08:50:35 AM »
As everyone has stated, your bike is worth more to your mental and physical health than the woth it would bring to your wallet. Now stop all this crazy talk and come ride with us Saturday at Boyette :)

+1

I decided a while ago, that no matter what I will always be in some sort of debt.  I am not gonna miss out on life because of money, it isn't worth it.  Keep the bike, tell your credit cards to F off and ride damnit, RIDE!
FrAnKenBiKe V2.0 - Payed Forward

http://bikesboardsandbeer.blogspot.com/

Offline Jim DeLuca

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2008, 09:49:55 AM »
All good points.    The big thing is to  have money available for my kids for xmas.    I have my 1993 Giant Rincon.  Anthem, I think I have ride guide at Boyette sat, so I will be there.  Swamp duties must still go on.

Offline SamW

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Huffy Rider
  • SWAMPER
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2008, 09:56:47 AM »
jmdeluca,

Your being very "un-dude like" man. This pawning your bike biz to buy xmas presents is a huge buzz killer for this forum, you really need to make a call to Suze Orman for a better alternative.
Addicted to MTB

Luis

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2008, 10:07:04 AM »
Money for his kids in xmas is very "un dude like"?

Offline Jim DeLuca

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2008, 10:26:21 AM »
Luis Sam is kidding with me.  Anyway, just wanted to see how everyone else was dealing with the economy in the MTB world. 

Advertisement: