Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: How do you prepare for a Mountain Bike Club Ride?  (Read 3030 times)

Offline Forum Manager

• Administrator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Use the big ring!
    • SWAMP Mountain Bike Club
How do you prepare for a Mountain Bike Club Ride?
« on: November 27, 2006, 04:56:16 PM »
When you mountain bike alone (which you should never do) or ride with a friend what steps do you take to prepare for your ride? 

What do you do, or suggest we do, when preparing for a club ride?

Is there more preparation for a night ride than a Sunday ride?

What do you think?
Are you a SWAMP Mountain Bike Club member? Ride Guide?
If so, use the Personal Message link to the left, under my name, to send me a PM about upgrading your forum account to SWAMPer or Ride Guide!
Please remember to include your first and last name and when or how you joined SWAMP.

Offline Kevan

• Assistant Wheel Spinner
  • Forum Moderator
  • Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: Cannondale Scalpel 29er
Check Your Gear!
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 05:15:35 PM »
This story from Garry reminds us to make sure we bring all of our gear with us before we ride...

After the November club ride at Trout Creek:

Had an adventurous ride today.

Since my full suspension is in the shop awaiting a new swingarm I am riding my trusty hard tail.  Only thing is I have SPD on the H/T and eggbeaters on the F/S.  Not usually a problem as I have a pair of shoes for the SPD that I use for road riding and the H/T, and a pair for the egg beaters for the F/S.

Yeah well, not thinking I packed the wrong shoes since in my mind I was riding my mountain bike.  So, I road platform pedals out of my tool box with clipless shoes.  Every time I hit a root, or tried to accelerate too much, off slipped my shoes from the pedals.  Pretty comical actually.  I'm sure from the back I looked a bit awkward and like I had just stepped on chewing gum or something.

Moral of the story?  Check your gear before running out the door to play.  Could be you missed something.

All in all it was a great ride.  Even rode the sinkhole trail and one of our group did the rope swing into the water for a big splash as we all applauded.

Main point:

Make sure you have all of your gear.  This may include:

Helmet
Gloves
Shoes
Riding shorts and jersey
Cleats (correct cleats for your pedals)
Air Pump
Water and/or hydration pack
Lights (for late in the day or night rides)
Spare inner tube / tire repair kit
Tire irons (for pulling the tire off the wheel)
First Aid kit
Personal identification card with emergency contact information (phone numbers, etc)
Spare Parts (of most common parts that break on your bike)
Tool kit

Hopefully you never need many of these items but having them with you can make the difference between a bad day and a minor inconvenience should anything unusual ever happen.

Enjoy your rides and be safe.
SWAMP Webmaster.  Have a question about SWAMP or the website?  Please contact me.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
Re: How do you prepare for a Mountain Bike Club Ride?
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 05:44:28 PM »
When you mountain bike alone (which you should never do) or ride with a friend what steps do you take to prepare for your ride? 

What do you do, or suggest we do, when preparing for a club ride?

Is there more preparation for a night ride than a Sunday ride?

What do you think?

Periodically my opportunities to mountain bike don't match someone elses so I do end up riding alone.  I usually will let someone know where I will be riding and approximately how long I plan for.  That way if I'm not back in a reasonable amount of time they can send the dogs after me, or at least make a couple of phone calls.

In preping for my rides I have two bags - one for gear and one for a change of clothes.  In the gear bag I have helmet, (BOTH sets of shoes), gloves, bandanas, ace bandage, frisbee, maps, spare tubes.  I also bring my biking tool box with spare pedals, small parts, cables, brake pads, lubes, cassette brush with probing tool on the other end.

Then there is my CamelBak that hopefully has whatever I may need on the trail - spare tube, patch kit, tire levers, multi tool, shock pump, tire pump, first aid kit, mole skin, cliff bars and gels, small parts etc. that I keep in an old sock which doubles as a rag if needed - in it is spare cleats and shoe bolts, length of narrow Duct Tape wrapped around a broken pencil, seat bolt and clamp, deraillieur hanger, assorted other connecting bolts that would mean the difference between walking out or making rideable to get back to parking.

Cell phone, full reservoir.

Offline Forum Manager

• Administrator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Use the big ring!
    • SWAMP Mountain Bike Club
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006, 12:23:19 AM »
One of the most common issues on the trail is a broken chain.

Therefore, a spare master link for your chain is a must.

Note there are differences from manufacturer to manufacturer so choose wisely.
Are you a SWAMP Mountain Bike Club member? Ride Guide?
If so, use the Personal Message link to the left, under my name, to send me a PM about upgrading your forum account to SWAMPer or Ride Guide!
Please remember to include your first and last name and when or how you joined SWAMP.

Offline CrazyWhiteGuy

• Cycling Sherpa
  • Caution: May cause temporary blindness
  • Favorite Trail: The kind you ride a bike on.
  • My Bike: 2012 Trek RumbleFish
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2006, 12:23:09 AM »
Peanut butter and Jelly toast, a leak, and filling up the camelback..... not always in that order, oh yeah and somewhere in there i get dressed and load the bikes up.
Rolling on the RumbleFish

Advertisement: