Author Topic: huff and puff Cross Training  (Read 3983 times)

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
huff and puff Cross Training
« on: November 29, 2008, 07:29:27 PM »
Bike is in the shop so I jogged 2 miles. Moving stuff that hasn't been moved for a long time (fat on my torso). Trying to get the jiggle out of the wiggle. Man it was rough. Dread tomorrow because I know I'm going to be so sore.  Something I've been meaning to do anyways, so the bike in the shop excuse really got me out there doing it.  My goal, as it has always been is 10 miles a week.
" Not this time, Lance"

naked indian

Re: huff and puff Cross Training
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 02:02:06 PM »
Bike is in the shop so I jogged 2 miles. Moving stuff that hasn't been moved for a long time (fat on my torso). Trying to get the jiggle out of the wiggle. Man it was rough. Dread tomorrow because I know I'm going to be so sore.  Something I've been meaning to do anyways, so the bike in the shop excuse really got me out there doing it.  My goal, as it has always been is 10 miles a week.

I may sound a like a broken record here.  But i recommend you run off road.  Better on your bones and joints and a better work out for your buck.

Offline MT

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • The rider formerly known as mtbker1224
    • Escape the Daily Grind
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 02:18:47 PM »
Ells,

I hope your LBS is taking care of that creeking sound  ;)

Luis

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 03:18:09 PM »
Good on ya Ells...one piece of advice: start really slooowwwwww...be super conservative with running.  It doesn't take much to injure yourself...

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 05:16:40 PM »
Ells,

I hope your LBS is taking care of that creeking sound  ;)

Dats Funny!!!! ;D

Offline Harvey

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 08:08:59 PM »
Start slow - that's what I did and it finally worked. I've tried running before but couldn't get over the soreness. This time I had good running shoes and started with only 5 minutes. If it didn't make me sore I bumped it up to 10. Now I'm up to running about 5 miles in 45 minutes. I also only run on grass or dirt.

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 08:30:49 PM »
I usually only run at dusk, that way no one can see the pain on my face as I move along. Also, I'm not a a stylish runner. My clothes are just one step above being rags. No actually most runners would consider them rags. But they are not the cool type rags like you see in the movies and stuff where they use ripped up sweat  pants and an old NYU tee shirt, my stuff just makes me look like crap.   ;D  So running in the dark is also doing a favor to the viewing public who then don't have to see raggedy man running down the sidewalks.   ;D Used to live in Bloomingdale for 10 years and they have the round 4 mile 'course' which is well known to the locals. Thats were I go to run still because I know it so well.  Concrete sidewalks. You get to know the distance points so you know where you are distance wise as you run. Surprised that I did 2 miles non stop at an approximate 13 minute mile pace.  Not bad for the first time out. For me that is. The fastest I will ever push myself is 10 minute miles. Sometimes  after I build up my running strength,  I will do intervals and sprint  out like I just kicked in someones front door and their alarm went off.  Intervals are great for building up your sprint speed on the bike. For me,  running  is a very effective way for me to increase my cardio, lose weight, strengthen outer core not being used during cycling and to get a good post run euphoria.   Not too sore today. Probably feel it most deep at my upper thigh level. Will try to go with an every other day schedule.   
Start slow - that's what I did and it finally worked. I've tried running before but couldn't get over the soreness. This time I had good running shoes and started with only 5 minutes. If it didn't make me sore I bumped it up to 10. Now I'm up to running about 5 miles in 45 minutes. I also only run on grass or dirt.

Thats moving out pretty good Harvey, especially on dirt where you have to watch your footing. I'll take it slow and use the running as motivation also not to eat  the crap foods. Thats one thing that running does for you also, it gives you an immediate reminder of whats in your system.
" Not this time, Lance"

Online E90X + 1.1.11

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 09:29:34 PM »
I have 2 silly personal goals - finish a triathlon and finish an xterra

with that being said...I will be doing more running and adding swimming to the mix.  All the cross training has to help the biking and overall health in the process (i hope)

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 05:28:30 AM »
It will. I need to overcome my poor swimming skills because I would like to do a triathlon one day. Adventure races is another way to go. Probably better suited for me.
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 05:05:58 AM »
Well, I wasn't sore the day after running but the next day it hit me. Now it was too cold to go out and run so hopefully I can get it going again here tonight.
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline J. Ryan

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 07:28:09 AM »
Hey EllsRider - I took your lead and went for an easy 2 mile jog with megstr yesterday. It was a nice workout since I still don't have my bike back. I'm hoping and praying that I get it back this week.

Offline Harvey

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008, 10:01:41 AM »
It's actually better running than riding when it's cold. It takes a little less layering because you're moving slower. Went out last night at 6. It was 50 degrees and I was fine in tights, base layer and long sleeve jersey. I also covered my ears. The only thing I would've done different is wear gloves. When I was finished my fingers wouldn't work until I thawed them out in the shower!

Ells - Wait for the soreness to go away then do it again. It'll get easier. Keep your distance down until it doesn't cause soreness, then increase it slowly. Keep the effort level low until your muscles acclimate. I only ran for 10-15 minutes the first few times. That was less than a month ago. Last night I did almost 6 miles at a 8-minute pace. I'm wearing my HRM to keep my pace in my endurance zone, but did 15 minutes of tempo last night and felt good!

A good piece of advice I got from a runner is not to do it on consecutive days. Running, unlike riding, doesn't allow for active recovery due to the high-impact nature of it.

Luis

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2008, 10:05:14 AM »
Last night I did almost 6 miles at a 8-minute pace. I'm wearing my HRM to keep my pace in my endurance zone, but did 15 minutes of tempo last night and felt good!

Harvey the next Dean Karnazes?  ;) 

Offline Harvey

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2008, 10:10:11 AM »
Next thing you know I'm gonna start swimming, never acknowledging other riders, the decline is on! ;)

I'm just mixing things up in the off-season. I'll probably keep it up, say 1/2 hour once a week, as a way to exercise the dogs. It should also be good for Le Mans starts. Maybe I should start running in carbon soled shoes. ;)

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2008, 04:15:39 PM »
I used to run about 25 miles a week. I stopped cause I loved the bike so much. But due to lack of time, I made the huge mistake of doing a 3 miler the day after T-Giving. It was all good during the run but the next day felt as if I were 100 yrs old. Walking was difficult and I was sore all over. I did a couple of sprint distance Tris about 3-4 yrs ago. Strangly the hardest dicipline for me was the run. I thought it would be my best. I guess running after being on the bike screwed w/ my legs and I never felt comfy in the saddle. But Harvey is right running in the cold is better than biking in the cold. (at least on the road)
My bike is more than a toy; it's my vessel.