Author Topic: huff and puff Cross Training  (Read 3983 times)

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
Re: huff and puff Cross Training
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2008, 08:03:58 PM »

Good advice Harvey.  I think the tri's are calling out to you for sure. 8 minute miles for 6 miles, I think those are respectable numbers for runners. Definitely for non runners. With the endurance bike training, ironman contests should be easy normal training.

Tread29,  Chisel chest went out for a quick run the other morning too.  He said he was feeling it big time in his legs today.  So why does running make you sore days after the event but biking makes you sore while hitting your threshold levels and afterwrds you usually dont feel the pain. Running more extreme on the body?

For me Firebiker, when I don't run for  a long period of time I know for certain that parts of my, core muscles or whatever, they are definitely not being used. After an extended period and then I start to run again, I visualize it as having to waken up from the dead these muscles groups and there is the awakening period (painful) the stretching (pain goes away and you getcomfortable running) and the stengthening period  ( where the muscles begin to develop and  grow. This is when you start to make better time running and shaving the minutes off the miles.
I'm going out for round two. Youse guys have  me fired up. Spaghetti for dinner 2 hours ago. Could be trouble.
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2008, 08:27:07 PM »
I'm a little fired UP too. I think I might hit the pavement in the AM.
My bike is more than a toy; it's my vessel.

Anthem1

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2008, 09:15:21 PM »
You got me thinking too :) Anybody want to target the Gasparilla 5K?

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2008, 09:35:24 PM »
I've done that a few times. Really good time. Its  more like a 5K walk though, so many people. 2 miles in tonight, building to the 5K. 12minute 40 second miles. Lightning fast!  ;D
" Not this time, Lance"

Anthem1

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2008, 09:51:28 PM »
Yeah, I did it a couple times a few years ago :) Secret was to get upfront at the start, otherwise you had to weave your way thru the lines of people holding hands singing koom by yaaaa :P

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2008, 06:42:17 AM »
Dang, hope there is no photo evidence of me doing that!   :D
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2008, 06:53:19 AM »
Just got back from a 4 miler. 3rd run in week. Feeling kinda funny.

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2008, 07:39:32 AM »
just put the running shoes down and slowly back away.....   those will be my monthly numbers ;D  ;D
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline SandPine

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • SS Bender
    • <b>SandPine's Ride Reports</b>
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2008, 09:52:42 AM »
Dang, hope there is no photo evidence of me doing that!   :D
well... you weren't holding hands but you sure were out there holding your hand high and up in the air..  nice statue of you!

Offline Harvey

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2008, 09:57:32 AM »
I think the tri's are calling out to you for sure.
Yeah, like I need another discipline to throw thousands of dollars at as much as I need a hole in my head. :D As things are now, my road bike is my training bike and I don't care how much it weighs. High-end road and tri bike price tags make mountain bikes look cheap!

One thing's for sure: All this cross-training sure does make me slow on the bike! I've been doing lots of leg work at the gym and running, went out for a ride last night and it was embarrassing how slow I was.

Luis

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2008, 10:42:19 AM »
One thing's for sure: All this cross-training sure does make me slow on the bike! I've been doing lots of leg work at the gym and running, went out for a ride last night and it was embarrassing how slow I was.

Yup, my PT put me on a basic leg program 3x/week ...my legs are like concrete, no pedaling speed at all... I hope it pays off in the long term.

Harvey, are you doing squats at all?

Offline Harvey

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2008, 11:45:28 AM »
Harvey, are you doing squats at all?
Yup, freebar, which IMO is the only way to go. Machines isolate specific muscle groups, while freeweights bring all the supporting muscles into play.

I've been doing them for about a month and will continue for about a month more. They KILL your spin and any semblance of leg speed. I'm a spinner and can easily spin 105-110 RPM, but now it takes me about 1/2 hour of riding to get up over 85 and then getting it over 100 is a task. I'll start some spinning work next week, which will help.

Once the weight work stops, it takes less than a week before feeling like I can stomp up the sides of mountains again.

Luis

« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2008, 11:53:58 AM »
Yup, freebar, which IMO is the only way to go. Machines isolate specific muscle groups, while freeweights bring all the supporting muscles into play.

I've been doing them for about a month and will continue for about a month more. They KILL your spin and any semblance of leg speed. I'm a spinner and can easily spin 105-110 RPM, but now it takes me about 1/2 hour of riding to get up over 85 and then getting it over 100 is a task. I'll start some spinning work next week, which will help.

Once the weight work stops, it takes less than a week before feeling like I can stomp up the sides of mountains again.

Well, he has me doing leg presses for now to prevent any inward rotation at the knee (the apparent source of my ITB problem), but I'm not a fan of machines either.  Maybe I'll add bar only squats once a week and go from there...

Offline Harvey

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2008, 01:13:41 PM »
I'd probably stick with his recommendation, then try it once you're healthy. You have to be really careful to protect your knees when doing squats.

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2008, 05:01:41 PM »
I'd probably stick with his recommendation, then try it once you're healthy. You have to be really careful to protect your knees when doing squats.

A good alternative to the bar is dumb bells. The weight is centered lower so the back does not tend to flex. The draw back however is that it's harder to use heavy weight and you lose the benifit your core recieves when using the bar which is centered on your back. In other words, if the weight is to much, the body tends to lean forward or bend back. But with the weight centered below the waist that does not happen.