Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Wet Cat Geometry  (Read 2404 times)

Offline MT

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • The rider formerly known as mtbker1224
    • Escape the Daily Grind
Wet Cat Geometry
« on: November 30, 2008, 06:46:53 PM »
I'm planning to build a 29" SS sometime in early '09, so I'm doing my research. My first thought is to go with something like a Surly Karate Monkey; steel, proven, and most importantly, affordable. A friend of mine suggested that I consider a Vassago Jabber Woky, as pricing is still (somewhat) reasonable by comparison, and the drop outs require no chain tensioning device. So I took a look at Vassago's site, and it seems as though they are not kidding when it comes to bucking the norm with frame geometry design. Their "wet cat geometry" utilizes a long ETT length and also longer chain stays (which must certainly= a longer wheel base).

I tend to use more body english to manouver my bike through tight restricted single track, so I'm concerned about how larger 29" wheels and a longer wheel base will handle in a "tight" situation. Please, anyone with an opinion on this, post and let me know what you think.

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
Re: Wet Cat Geometry
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 07:01:03 PM »
I'm planning to build a 29" SS sometime in early '09, so I'm doing my research. My first thought is to go with something like a Surly Karate Monkey; steel, proven, and most importantly, affordable. A friend of mine suggested that I consider a Vassago Jabber Woky, as pricing is still (somewhat) reasonable by comparison, and the drop outs require no chain tensioning device. So I took a look at Vassago's site, and it seems as though they are not kidding when it comes to bucking the norm with frame geometry design. Their "wet cat geometry" utilizes a long ETT length and also longer chain stays (which must certainly= a longer wheel base).

I tend to use more body english to manouver my bike through tight restricted single track, so I'm concerned about how larger 29" wheels and a longer wheel base will handle in a "tight" situation. Please, anyone with an opinion on this, post and let me know what you think.
Luis, as I told you Saturday, I didn't research my bike frame that much when I won it.  The Optimus also has the wet cat geometry.  Next ride, you are welcome to lower the seat and give it a spin on a few trails.  I think I can manage yours. Just remember, you brake it you pay for it.. LOL   :D

Offline MT

• Clipless Mountain Goat
    • Escape the Daily Grind
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 07:14:50 PM »
Sounds good SP - I'll definitely take you up on the offer, as I want to be sure I move into the right geometry in the 29" platform.

Adios.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 07:32:55 PM »
Sandpine...now that you have ridden the "wetcat" for a while.  What is the most noticable differences?

naked indian

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 09:14:11 PM »
Sounds good SP - I'll definitely take you up on the offer, as I want to be sure I move into the right geometry in the 29" platform.

Adios.

If I had my choice, like money was no object, I would mos def go custom.
But if money is an object, I have been very impressed with the Vassago fork I have, I can only imagine the entire bike would be equally impressive.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 09:25:14 PM »
if you were going to spend $1500 on a frame....what would it be....how much of a difference would it be between your choice and the fisher rig frame that I am currently riding now?

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 09:33:53 PM »
If you want to spend $1500, you should be able to go custom and get whatever you want.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 09:48:47 PM »
If you want to spend $1500, you should be able to go custom and get whatever you want.

my question is - will a 1500 custom frame be noticably different from the rig frame?

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 09:49:53 PM »
I would love a ellsworth truth 29inch version

naked indian

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2008, 10:07:11 PM »

my question is - will a 1500 custom frame be noticably different from the rig frame?

Actually, it would be.  Because of the fit, the frame would be set up perfectly for the person so they could achieve optimal performance.  Thus the reason that many people eventually go custom.

And, when dealing with 29ers, The shorter you are, the harder it is to get that fit, Shorter people sometimes have to go custom to go 29.

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2008, 10:09:56 PM »

Depends...do you have any issues with the Rig?  Would you like to do something that it doesn't do well, fit better, etc???  Once you know what you want, then you can decide if custom is the way to go.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2008, 05:41:13 AM »
http://www.quiringcycles.net/igallery/viewphoto.asp?i=shown_with_Paragon_Slider_drops_and_standard_brushed_and_etc.JPG&f=z+price+list+photos&sh=1024&sw=1280

$2000.00 custom  sized Titanium frame, any way you want it.  Quiring Cycles. Average  rate for custom frames.
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2008, 09:33:04 AM »
http://www.quiringcycles.net/igallery/viewphoto.asp?i=shown_with_Paragon_Slider_drops_and_standard_brushed_and_etc.JPG&f=z+price+list+photos&sh=1024&sw=1280

$2000.00 custom  sized Titanium frame, any way you want it.  Quiring Cycles. Average  rate for custom frames.

that is a great looking bike

Offline MT

• Clipless Mountain Goat
    • Escape the Daily Grind
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2008, 09:40:51 AM »
Scott Quiring makes one hell of a bike. My buddy Qfactor road a custom TI hardtail for a little over a year and he loved it. Unfortunately, Scott designed / built the frame for a super heavy guy, and when my buddy lost a few lbs the ride was a bit stiff for him. 

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2008, 05:09:43 PM »
Qfactor is Kevin right. When I saw the link for that Quring, I thought the name was familiar. I remember now it was Kevin telling me about it.
" Not this time, Lance"

Advertisement: