Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Funny roadie run-in  (Read 4794 times)

Offline Dave In Odessa

• Clipless Mountain Goat
Funny roadie run-in
« on: December 01, 2008, 11:09:23 AM »
So last friday, we had some friends come in from out of town.  We decided to go to Starkey Park and doe some geocaching.  We were walking along the multi-use trail out there and a family with 3 kids on bikes was riding along.  Behind them, these two roadies come up and start "on your left, ON YOUR LEFT, ON.....YOUR.....LEEEEEFFFT" and get all pissed off that they have to slow down to keep from hitting the kids.  So as they ride by I holler "are you training that hard that you have to act like such *S".  As soon as I said it, I felt bad for cussing in front of the kids, but the mom said "thank you".  Naturally Lance and Greg kept pushing onwards  ::)

I looked at my friends and said "that's why we ride mountain bikes".  I just can't fathom training THAT hard on a multi-use trail the day after thanksgiving (the trail was FULL of families).  I guess there are people that ride road bikes, and there are roadies.  This post was not to offend road bike riders, just to show how rediculous some people can be (and they are usually on road bikes). 

I've had MANY people pass me on the off-road trails around here.  I always apologize for being in their way, but they are always very kind to say "that's OK, you're fine" and ride on.  Why can't it be that way on pavement?
07 Redline Monocog Flight 29'er 1x9 (The Snot Rocket)
07 Iron Horse Warrior 1.3 (The One That Started It All)

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
Re: Funny roadie run-in
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 11:14:18 AM »
You shoud go ride the mountain bike trails down in S. Florida - I have yet to have a trip down there since I moved back up to Central Florida where I didn't have a similar experience with someone thinking that the trails were their personal race course and how dare you interfere.  We're much nicer up here :)
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

naked indian

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 11:16:35 AM »
LOL.   Interesting points.  It does seem like the STereo Typical roadies are not very polite.  On  the road when I am riding I can always tell who the hardcore roadies are cause none of them want to wave and say hi.

What are they afraid they are going to mess up their Heart rate by lifting and arm and being courteous...LOL.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 11:20:37 AM »
I've had MANY people pass me on the off-road trails around here.  I always apologize for being in their way, but they are always very kind to say "that's OK, you're fine" and ride on.  Why can't it be that way on pavement?

Because no matter what - for some people life is just way to serious.

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 11:34:52 AM »
Reminds me of when some buddies and I would ride our mtb bikes (slick tires of course) from down town Tampa to the Treasure Island beach. We'd take all sorts of back roads and what not to get there and not get killed in the process. Everytime we would do such a trip there would be roadies taking similar routes. There wasn't any "get out of the way" type stuff but I did notice very quickly that roadies, or at least the ones we ran into, were very unfriendly. I'd wave, say hey, nod or whatever and not a single time did I get any response. I asked 3-4 other mtb guys and they said that was also their experience. I've also had the mtb bikes in the back of the truck (in plain site) and still won't get any nod, wave, hello, wink, curse, spit......nothing. It is as if roadies are indifferent to mtb bikers. Even Harley guys typically wave to the crotch rockets/sport bikes. Of course I do understand that waving may not be an option when hunched over like that and it could be my imagination. I don't really think it's my imagination though.
Don't both groups have a love for the same thing?
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Luis

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 11:36:48 AM »
typical roadiettude  ;)

I cringe everytime I hear someone yell "on your left" to a family with kids, woman walking the dog etc...

IT'S A F'IN RACE TERM! people don't understand it and half the time they end up moving TO the left... "rider back" works a lot better for me, but I also slow down and say "hello" when I come across walkers...

Offline JohnnyB

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Single Track Mind
  • My Bike: '06 Kona Coiler
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 12:02:32 PM »
Oh man I can rant about Rodies all day.

But I will give on bad and one good:

BAD:  Those frickin a-holes in Lake Mary that have a huge 8 foot wide paved path to ride on, yet insist on riding the 1 foot wide "Bike Lane"....sooo tempted to swerve, especially when they act as if you're in their way.  I'm goin to work jackass...gtfo the way.

Good:  One, and I stress, ONE. Roadie helped me out, this was very very recent.  One the way to Boyette when I was lost...I flagged one down in my truck and he pointed me the right way.
FrAnKenBiKe V2.0 - Payed Forward

http://bikesboardsandbeer.blogspot.com/

Offline old gray goat

• Cycling Sherpa
  • Dudes Ride club
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 12:30:59 PM »
Roadie scum!! Thats why i love mountain biking I put up with that sh*t for 28 years.

Offline MtKillanewbieDH

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • roadie
  • Favorite Trail: BullJake
  • My Bike: Trucker
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 12:43:14 PM »
* mksandoz puts on his roadie hat

it is quite annoying when there's a group of walkers/joggers/whatever taking up the entire width of a trail.  even more annoying is when the people are wearing ipods and dont hear you behind them.

from my experiences so far, road bikers are much less friendly than mtbers.  i was on the suncoast last weekend and lifted my hand to wave at every rider that passed me going the opposite direction.  not a single one acknowledged my gesture.

i have run in to many rude mtbers though. some jerk on heartbreak ridge last week ran me off the trail and didnt say a word.

anyways, generalizing about 'roadies' - or any group for that matter - is dangerous and usually offensive to some, so be careful.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades - Eddy Merckx
Simplify and add lightness - Colin Chapman

Offline Dave In Odessa

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2008, 12:53:16 PM »
* mksandoz puts on his roadie hat

it is quite annoying when there's a group of walkers/joggers/whatever taking up the entire width of a trail.  even more annoying is when the people are wearing ipods and dont hear you behind them.

I'm sure it can be annoying, but its something that should be expected on a multi-use trail.  hard core roadies need to understand that not everyone on the trail is aware of the "rules of the trail", such as what "on your left" means.  Most don't even consider people will be on the trail riding hard, they just think it will be other families such as theirs.  And finally, all bets are off when kids are there.  They can't be expected to stick to the right of the trail and jump off to the side when some jerk barks "on your left" at them. 

from my experiences so far, road bikers are much less friendly than mtbers.  i was on the suncoast last weekend and lifted my hand to wave at every rider that passed me going the opposite direction.  not a single one acknowledged my gesture.

Indeed.  I'm a friendly guy, I say hi to everyone when we're out walking or riding.  Most roadies pretend not to hear you and just ride on.  Not sure why, so I've pretty much stopped acknowledging "roadies" while riding.

i have run in to many rude mtbers though. some jerk on heartbreak ridge last week ran me off the trail and didnt say a word.
  Probably a roadie mixing up his training  ;D

anyways, generalizing about 'roadies' - or any group for that matter - is dangerous and usually offensive to some, so be careful.
  stereotypes don't just appear out of thin air.  Stereotypes are based on patterns of behavior exhibited to many people many times.  With that said, I can tell the difference between a roadie and a guy on a road bike.

Offline JohnnyB

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Single Track Mind
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2008, 01:02:03 PM »
Dave - check my sig.  Quoted for truth.

Offline MtKillanewbieDH

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • roadie
  • Favorite Trail: BullJake
  • My Bike: Trucker
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2008, 01:22:56 PM »
stereotypes don't just appear out of thin air.  Stereotypes are based on patterns of behavior exhibited to many people many times.  With that said, I can tell the difference between a roadie and a guy on a road bike.
* mksandoz puts on his philosopher hat over his roadie hat

Inferring that all members of a group will exhibit 'patterns of behavior' like those observed in other members of a group is the foundational attitude for wonderful things like racism, sexism, religious intoleration, homophobia, xenophobia, etc. By maintaining a negative stereotype of 'roadies' as rude and inconsiderate 'jerks' is not only wrong, but also encourages a negative attitude towards them, and perpetuates the tired theme of friendly mtbers vs. rude roadies i see pop up every month or so on this forum.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades - Eddy Merckx
Simplify and add lightness - Colin Chapman

Offline Dave In Odessa

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2008, 01:25:16 PM »
I understand what you're saying and where your heading, but ask most people their experience with roadies.  They will mostly say that roadies are rude, scream at people, cut very close to people also trying to enjoy the trail, don't waive, say hi to, or acknowledge others. 

Offline JohnnyB

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Single Track Mind
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2008, 01:28:50 PM »

Inferring that all members of a group will exhibit 'patterns of behavior' like those observed in other members of a group is the foundational attitude for wonderful things like racism, sexism, religious intoleration, homophobia, xenophobia, etc. By maintaining a negative stereotype of 'roadies' as rude and inconsiderate 'jerks' is not only wrong, but also encourages a negative attitude towards them, and perpetuates the tired theme of friendly mtbers vs. rude roadies i see pop up every month or so on this forum.

Thats completely understood.  we are all adults here.  Afterall, the word "stereotype" itself already implies that it is a general rule of thumb.  There are always exceptions to these rules...I'm confident there are tons of friendly rodies out there, and I am equally sure there are a likewise amount of a-hole mountain bikers out there as well...we just expirience one group more than the other  :P

naked indian

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2008, 01:30:42 PM »

Thats completely understood.  we are all adults here.  Afterall, the word "stereotype" itself already implies that it is a general rule of thumb.  There are always exceptions to these rules...I'm confident there are tons of friendly rodies out there, and I am equally sure there are a likewise amount of a-hole mountain bikers out there as well...we just expirience one group more than the other  :P

I resemble that a - hole mountain biker remark....

Advertisement: