Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: One way trails  (Read 2955 times)

Offline bradluke0

• Huffy Rider
One way trails
« on: December 01, 2008, 02:46:16 PM »
Hi all !    We were out riding Boyette last couple of weeks and were wondering.......has the subject of making the blue trails one - way been talked about before ? The reason I asked was there have been some instances of riders coming the other way on spider berm and golf cart where it gets very tight , with no room for error . Or am I making a problem where there isnt one ?  thx guys ( and gals ) have a great week....brad

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
Re: One way trails
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 03:00:33 PM »
Some people get really flustered when they run into someone coming the other way. I've been involved in a few very close calls myself, but IMO they shouldn't be one way.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 03:22:44 PM »
Hi all !    We were out riding Boyette last couple of weeks and were wondering.......has the subject of making the blue trails one - way been talked about before ? The reason I asked was there have been some instances of riders coming the other way on spider berm and golf cart where it gets very tight , with no room for error . Or am I making a problem where there isnt one ?  thx guys ( and gals ) have a great week....brad

Spider Berm is a narrow trail and a popular one, so opposing traffic does happen now and again.  Generally people are good about sharing the space and getting by each other.  To make it one way would mean finding another route going the opposite direction.  Many trail systems that we ride have two way trails that riders just have to be aware of potential for opposing traffic. Also, there just is not enough volunteers and time to make another trail.

Offline Rockhopper

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 10:12:47 PM »
While we are on the subject, is the top trail on Pandemonium (the easy trail) a one-way or two-way trail? I know the two black diamond Pandemonium trails are one way. Thanks

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 10:59:16 PM »
While we are on the subject, is the top trail on Pandemonium (the easy trail) a one-way or two-way trail? I know the two black diamond Pandemonium trails are one way. Thanks
Yes.  The leftmost (north, or closes to the double track) trail is two way, midle and right most (south side) are one way.  I usually do right most, return on double way to the y then do the middle trail.

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 11:13:02 PM »
Yes.  The leftmost (north, or closes to the double track) trail is two way, midle and right most (south side) are one way.  I usually do right most, return on double way to the y then do the middle trail.

There are actually three options to the right.  A short one, the full length one, and the lower one with "The Wall".

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 06:43:32 AM »
having those trails one way would hurt some of the several loops that are available to ride at Boyette. some trails almost have to be one way due to the extreme structure but trails like golf cart work very well both ways. 8)

Offline Dean Palmer

• First Bike
  • Good people drink good beer
    • The Beer Journals
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 09:13:25 AM »
The wife and I were riding Boyette a few weeks ago and we encountered some folks coming down the trail toward us, and they mentioned to me when I pulled over to let them pass that they thought it was a one-way trail. As the trail was Overlook on the way to Woods, and I had the map in my pocket that clearly didn't have a one-way designation, I wondered why they would have thought direction was critical on quite open trails like these.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 09:42:50 AM »
I think we need to set a speed limit on these 2 way trails of like 7 mph

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 10:14:36 AM »

What are you going to do, set squirrels out there with radar guns? :D
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

naked indian

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2008, 10:21:18 AM »

What are you going to do, set squirrels out there with radar guns? :D

how bout topless bikini babes on tree stands..... You have the right to remain sexy, O Ya!

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2008, 10:25:41 AM »
when people pass each other on trails...they should dismount, exchange a usefull "tip of the day" shake hands then pass each other then ease back into a nice 7 mph pace

Offline Dave In Odessa

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2008, 11:06:55 AM »
7mph!  What, are you a stunt man?  I leave those kinds of crazy speeds to the pros.
07 Redline Monocog Flight 29'er 1x9 (The Snot Rocket)
07 Iron Horse Warrior 1.3 (The One That Started It All)

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2008, 11:12:27 AM »
when people pass each other on trails...they should dismount, exchange a usefull "tip of the day" shake hands then pass each other then ease back into a nice 7 mph pace

You're over medicated FACTORe

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2008, 11:20:05 AM »
The wife and I were riding Boyette a few weeks ago and we encountered some folks coming down the trail toward us, and they mentioned to me when I pulled over to let them pass that they thought it was a one-way trail. As the trail was Overlook on the way to Woods, and I had the map in my pocket that clearly didn't have a one-way designation, I wondered why they would have thought direction was critical on quite open trails like these.

Who knows - the only one way trails at Boyette are black trails for obvious reasons.  Everything else is two-way.

Advertisement: