Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Garrys Loop  (Read 5972 times)

Offline Reese

• Amateur Billy Goat
Garrys Loop
« on: December 03, 2008, 08:51:28 AM »
Havent been to Boyette in a few months.  Is garrys loop open yet?

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
Re: Garrys Loop
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 09:22:02 AM »
Havent been to Boyette in a few months.  Is garrys loop open yet?

It's still under construction.  We need volunteers to help build it.  It looks to be a fun little loop.  Too bad we ran out of room back in there to make it longer.

Offline MT

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • The rider formerly known as mtbker1224
    • Escape the Daily Grind
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 08:10:51 PM »
Garry,

Where exactly is this trail? Is it part of side winder or swamp thing?

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 08:29:31 PM »
Garry,

Where exactly is this trail? Is it part of side winder or swamp thing?

It's not open as it's still under construction.

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 07:13:18 PM »
I always wondered about that, since it was on the maps, I thought it was done and part of woods and the map was off a little bit.
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2008, 10:10:20 PM »
I always wondered about that, since it was on the maps, I thought it was done and part of woods and the map was off a little bit.

Yea, unfortunately the maps got finished before the trail did.  We had some access set backs, but that's resolved now.  With a large turnout next weekend we could conceivably open it then.  So far 10 RSVP's.  We need more.  Yes there are rakes. :)

Offline Dean Palmer

• First Bike
  • Good people drink good beer
    • The Beer Journals
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 10:35:27 AM »
As posted int eh trail conditions area, Garry's is open, and will need some riding before it is packed down like older trails. It is a nice job by the crew and was a fun ride!

Offline paddlewave

• First Bike
  • Work hard ,play harder!
  • My Bike: 04 specialized epic comp, 08 IF Ti Deluxe29er
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 07:48:44 PM »
Hey Garry. Iv'e been riding boyette for about a year now, and I must say I'm truly blown away by the by the transformation that has taken what was already a great trail system into a premier ride site. I thank you guys for all that you do. Now that thats out of the way, Is it the law that is keeping SWAMP from only bieng able to a work-day, only once a month? That truly sucks. Is there any way for small groups to do planned trail work on select trails? I understand the law retarding the use of heavy equipment to once a month. But would a small group of maybe 5-6 riders with some shovels and picks be frowned upon or prohibited?

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 10:33:54 PM »
Is it the law that is keeping SWAMP from only bieng able to a work-day, only once a month? We recently got the permission worked out to do workdays when ever we need to instead of just once a month.  It's working out pretty good.  Wes is conducting most of that during the weekdays, and some weekends as well as we try to get the new trails opened.

Is there any way for small groups to do planned trail work on select trails? I understand the law retarding the use of heavy equipment to once a month. But would a small group of maybe 5-6 riders with some shovels and picks be frowned upon or prohibited?  As I mentioned above Wes is conducting workdys during the week at Boyette.  Now and then Art does that on Thursdays I think it is at Alafia. I'm looking for helpers most anyday that we can get 5 or 8 folks together.

See side post about Adopt-A-Trail

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 10:43:24 AM »
Rode Garry's loop Tuesday evening and of course some of it felt like quicksand. My question is how long does it usually take to pack a trail down? Does Boyette get enough traffic and will enough people be able to find the loop in order to pack it? It seems to me that this loop will take some time before it is packed enough to be enjoyable.

I noticed that the Swamp has a gas powered material hauler but do they also have a small vibratory compactor? You know, the kind you walk behind like road construction guys (I think they are called Wackers) use
in tight areas where a sit on top wheel compactor can't gain access. I imagine it would be pretty hard to transport such a machine to remote trails though. They could always be pulled by a pick up since there is a built on skid. If this sounds like a bright idea maybe we could have a fund raiser after all this holiday stuff is over. Or another option could be a rental since I'm sure these things are super expensive. I worked on one years ago an it was diesel powered.

Another question: Who pays for the rental equipment like I saw out at Boyette a week or so ago? Do our membership fees cover those kind of large expenses or is it Bob knows a guy who knows another guy who has a brother that owns a small construction company. I've recently been asking people I meet on the trail if they are Swamp members. Seems to me that over 75% of them are not even though they ride the trails every week (including my three regular riding buddies). I've been offering a friendly suggestion for non-members in order to boost $$$ for our group. When you need a fairly expensive part or item at the LBS get your Swamp membership a week or so ahead of time and the 10% discount may just pay for your member ship fee. This shouldn't be hard since everything about this sport is expensive. I know the discount has paid for my membership twice that I can remember.
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 12:28:38 PM »
Rode Garry's loop Tuesday evening and of course some of it felt like quicksand. My question is how long does it usually take to pack a trail down? Does Boyette get enough traffic and will enough people be able to find the loop in order to pack it? It seems to me that this loop will take some time before it is packed enough to be enjoyable.  Depending on how much traffic it gets determines how long it takes to pack in - obvious answer, right? Best way I know how.  Anyway, North Creek didn't take too long to pack in as it is a popular trail system.  Sandpine took longer.  The Abyss packed in pretty quick, it is a fun popular trail.

I noticed that the Swamp has a gas powered material hauler but do they also have a small vibratory compactor? No.

I imagine it would be pretty hard to transport such a machine to remote trails though. They could always be pulled by a pick up since there is a built on skid. We actually talked about that yesterday.  We'll see.

Another question: Who pays for the rental equipment like I saw out at Boyette a week or so ago? Do our membership fees cover those kind of large expenses or is it ... Money for tools and equipment purchases and rentals come from an accumulation of sources - dues, event fee's, and donations.

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2008, 12:36:50 PM »
Rode Garry's loop Tuesday evening and of course some of it felt like quicksand. Also, traditionally with a new trail you have go in periodically to tweak and adjust as it slowly becomes nice and rideable.  Did some yesterday.  If anyone has some free time and would like to help just let me know when.

Garry

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2009, 04:36:59 PM »
Rode this new trail 2 times today, cleaned it both times. Neat little section of trail. That tight turn was kind of a surprise though. :)
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2009, 04:45:08 PM »
Rode this new trail 2 times today, cleaned it both times. Neat little section of trail. That tight turn was kind of a surprise though. :)

That's good to hear.  Hopefully once it gets packed in nicely it will be a fast, fun little section.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2009, 05:06:21 PM »

That's good to hear.  Hopefully once it gets packed in nicely it will be a fast, fun little section.

I don't know if it'll ever be fast, too much tight narrow stuff. Not that it is a bad thing, it's pretty technical right now and that is good!
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Advertisement: