Author Topic: HELP!!!  (Read 999 times)

Offline J. Ryan

• Cycling Sherpa
HELP!!!
« on: December 03, 2008, 05:37:42 PM »
I went to the bike shop to check on my replacement frame today. As soon as I walked in I was told "We have some good news and some bad news". The good news was that the frame came in yesterday. The bad news was that my old headset doesn't fit the new frame. Apparently the new frame needs a 1 1/2" head set where as the old one was 1 1/8"??? I don't know anything about headsets so I didn't even know they made different sizes. They haven't even order the new one yet and they can't tell me how long it will take to get in. You'd think they would have known this ahead of time. Now I'm supposed to sit here a while longer while Fisher figures out what the hell they are going to replace. This sucks! By the time I get this damn bike back I'm going to have to do a lot of catching up to do.

So, Does anyone have a headset I can borrow until my new one comes in? Pretty please?

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
Re: HELP!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 05:42:39 PM »
Highly unlikely that anyone has a spare 1.5" headset sitting around as few bikes use the oversized headtube.  Your bike shop should be able to order one from their supplier of choice and have in a few days.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline J. Ryan

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 06:03:57 PM »
Highly unlikely that anyone has a spare 1.5" headset sitting around as few bikes use the oversized headtube.  Your bike shop should be able to order one from their supplier of choice and have in a few days.

That's what I was afraid of. I'm sure they are going to wait for the Trek/Fisher rep to come by to see if they can get it from them.

Offline tangodown

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 06:55:48 PM »
I have an old FSA headset form my Cannondale ( i think these are all 1 1/2 down to 1 1/8).  Its a spare for me.  If it will get you out of a bind you can borrow it.   Problem with bike shops is they mostly order once they have enough $ or items to place an order.  So it could be a few days before they order again.   My lbs orders once a week only, even if its urgent.  Let me kow, I will toss it inmy car tonight just in case.
I have the key to the city.

Offline J. Ryan

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 07:27:52 PM »
what area do you live in?

Offline Paragonman

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 07:40:18 PM »
Ask them to pull one off one of their bikes to get you back on the trail! My shop did that for me recently
This is gonna hurt

Offline tangodown

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 08:02:06 PM »
just sent you a PM
I have the key to the city.