Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Stupid Snake Encounters  (Read 1368 times)

Offline RKL

• Clipless Mountain Goat
Stupid Snake Encounters
« on: December 05, 2008, 05:59:31 PM »
So I was riding in Sarasota this afternoon to get some miles in & had a stupid snake encounter.  I'm a biologist & have dealt w/ snakes my whole life so thought there might be a bit of a lesson here.  I came up on about a 4' diamondback in the middle of a shell double track road.  It curled up and rattled for a bit.  I watched from a safe distance for a while and went on down the road.  A mile or so down the road I had to turn around and come back the way I came.  Not a big deal, snakes move on pretty soon after they're disturbed and I wasn't even thinking about it anymore or paying attention.  Wouldn't you know it - the #!!^ing thing was just starting to crawl off the road & because I was daydreaming I rode right over the top of it.  Pretty Stupid.

The moral of the story:
1) you should always pay attention when you're riding - a snake, panther or Saskwatch could jump out at you
2) more people die from bees than snakes.  Folks that get snakebit are typically messing with them and frequently drunk.  You're really pretty safe in the woods from snakes.

and most importantly for us riders

3) If you gotta roll over something while your legs are spead eagle & your feet are above the bars - you gotta have momentum.

Be safe out there...

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
Re: Stupid Snake Encounters
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 06:06:58 PM »
  Folks that get snakebit are typically messing with them and frequently drunk.  You're really pretty safe in the woods from snakes.

uh huh...hey ya'll watch this

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 06:18:58 PM »
We saw a monster Indigo out at Jimm'y today, he was sunning right in the middle of one of the biggest downhills. My buddy in front hollered and almost ran him over, trying not to crash.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline Stumpjumper

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 07:55:41 PM »
I rode right over the top of it. 

Let me buy you a beer. ;)
What was I THINKING !!!!!!

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 07:35:33 AM »
I ran over the top of one at Alafia one time.  Have no clue as to what kind of snake it was.  He couldn't get off of the trail fast enough, and I couldn't swerve fast enough.
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2008, 07:50:46 AM »
Where were you riding in Sarasota?
My bike is more than a toy; it's my vessel.

Offline LTS guy

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • VIVA LA LTS!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2008, 10:48:09 AM »
I almost rode over a gorgeous King snake at Flatwoods two weeks ago..about 35 yards from the hole in the fence..he was only about 2.5' long or so, and IF, I would have had a place to put him until I got home AND, IF I didn't respect the rules regarding messing with animals on protected land, I would have kept him. he was the perfect size for an aquarium, and I happen to have an aquarium I'm not using...lol
But I didn't...lol
When you ride so far out that you hear no traffic, no people...nothing..

zen.

Advertisement: