Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Bike Theft  (Read 2212 times)

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
Bike Theft
« on: December 06, 2008, 08:02:10 PM »
Anyone have stories about having their bike or maybe even gear stolen? I'm always a bit paranoid about this since having my beloved BMX bike stolen when I was a kid. The stolen bike alerts on Craigslist and even here on the forum don't help much either. At least one of my buddies thinks I'm a little crazy for always having it in the back of my mind when leaving the bikes in the truck to eat in a restuarant, picking up something at Wal-Mart, or even having them laying in the driveway while we get geared up.
I recently bought Yakima locking fork mounts (must be made out of gold for what I paid for them) for my truck bed so that should at least keep the punks honest, but of course if someone wants it bad enough it's gonna be theirs regardless of the measures I take. I'm just glad there isn't a huge market out there for bikes without a fork and front wheel.
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline JohnnyB

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Single Track Mind
  • My Bike: '06 Kona Coiler
Re: Bike Theft
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 09:16:24 AM »
I'm equally paranoid...always have been.  The best you can do is lock it up, wrap the chain through as many parts as you can and just hope the potential theif gets discouraged with carrying away a partial bike. 
FrAnKenBiKe V2.0 - Payed Forward

http://bikesboardsandbeer.blogspot.com/

Offline Slowy

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 09:29:27 AM »
i wrap a bike lock around the rack, through my spoiler, through the frame and through the front rim.
to take anything else (besides seat and post) would need tools.
and i don't leave my bike on the rack for any long period of time. longest being eating lunch after a ride
Joe

"a smite a day keeps the trailbugs away"!

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 10:29:54 AM »
Crazy that I just posted this the other day and now my friend's bike has been stolen from his apartment on Davis Island.He was on vacation and it was cable locked to a large plumbing pipe on his second story stair accessible balcony.Not worth a ton now but was told it was expensive back in the day. Worse part of the story is he was in a bad car crash on vacation, has a concussion, his brother broke some ribs other brother has back problems ,rental car destroyed and people in the other car rushed to the hospital.Then he comes home to this crap.

Keep an eye out: Mid-late 90's GT Pantara hardtail 21 inch with no decals (GT stamped on rear triangle in a few places) and a polished aluminum frame. I think it was a 21-speed. I failed to write down the serial number but have learned my lesson.
Components are from memory as I bought the bike for him via Craigslist

Wheels: Mavic 117 (rear rim has several cracks at the spoke nipples) LX hub on the back shimano cheapy on front.
Saddle:Wtb black with blue trim (may have a gel cover on it)
Bars and stem: They were like new black with red painted on brand ID can't remember the brand but they were bike shop quality
Tires: walmart slime mtb type and may still have a kenda semi slick
Pedals: platform (typical cheap two piece style)
Front and rear derailleur were old shimano Acera or equivalent
Fork: old rockshox (maybe indy?) in yellow without disc brake mount
Cranks: polished aluminum probably shimano

Thing that pisses me off is I spent half a day in the garage tuning/fixing it up for him. Guy probably pawned it for $20

Offline Chris K

• Trips For Kids Tampa
  • Amateur Billy Goat
    • TFK Tampa
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 06:52:54 PM »
I had the reese hitch stolen off my truck 3 weeks ago, out of the parking lot at Boyette.  I couldnt believe it,   it was the day before Thanksgiving.  You really have to be cautious these days.
Trips For Kids Tampa- Mountain bike outings and educational opportunities for "at risk" kids www.mtbyouthride.org

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 10:19:14 PM »
I came back to the Boyette parking lot the other evening to find a VW wagon with the rear hatch wide open. Guy had some bike gear and a GPS in there so I hung out for 15 mins or so until he made it back (it was dark so I knew it wouldn't be that long). Considered leaving because I thought Boyette was safe due to the ranger guys house being right there. Glad I didn't.
Guy came back and immediately saw his hatch open. Lets just say he was pretty pissed with himself.

I was also there yesterday evening and saw a Gary Fisher locked to the back of a car. When I finished riding the car was still there but no bike was on the rack.

I lock anything of value in my glove box.Hope that hitch wasn't a fancy $300 set up PrkRngrCK

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 10:32:53 AM »
The only MTB park I have not heard as many stolen property stories from is Alafia.  Maybe because you have to pay to get into the park and drive into the parking lot where most of the time someone is hanging out there.  That doesn't mean a fellow MTB'er would take some of your gear if it was easily available.. sucks but happens.   As far as Croom, Boyette, and all entrances at TC/MB/FW (all 7 parking areas)... i have heard of things get stolen from.

Protect your stuff!

Offline Big Hooper

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: SIR9. One bike, one gear
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 11:21:21 AM »
Never had anything stolen at Boyette, BUT someone in a Prius backed into my truck leaving a nice ding in my tailgate! >:(
A rider caught me as I was driving out and said he saw the whole thing happen. The guy even got out and looked and drove off.
wherever you go.....there you are.
Just a big Hooper!

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 03:01:58 PM »
He probably thought that it served you right for driving around in a earth destroyer pickup truck. You'd think that the guy would have at least faked an insurance info note under your wiper since there witnesses. Bet you look for a bike rack every time you see a prius.

Luis

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 03:11:51 PM »
The only MTB park I have not heard as many stolen property stories from is Alafia.

I got a bike stolen at Alafia... learned my lesson that's for sure!

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 03:22:51 PM »
Hope it wasn't a super expensive bike. I'd like to think that it was some Joe Blow who stole your bike and not an actual mtb'r. I've seen several people leave their spare bike (no lock) on the car while out riding at Alafia. I thought that since you have to pay to get in Alafia it would weed out the criminals.

I recently wrote down all of the serial numbers for every bike in my garage. I also made a list of the components.

Offline Big Hooper

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: SIR9. One bike, one gear
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2008, 03:24:24 PM »
He probably thought that it served you right for driving around in a earth destroyer pickup truck. You'd think that the guy would have at least faked an insurance info note under your wiper since there witnesses. Bet you look for a bike rack every time you see a prius.

Maybe it was the "powered by COAL" emblem on truck  :D
Seriously i felt like posting about how " responsible people" drive a prius and then weasel out on backing into someones vehicle. Oh well, i hope his battery dies in it.
wherever you go.....there you are.
Just a big Hooper!

Luis

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2008, 03:33:42 PM »
Hope it wasn't a super expensive bike. I'd like to think that it was some Joe Blow who stole your bike and not an actual mtb'r. I've seen several people leave their spare bike (no lock) on the car while out riding at Alafia. I thought that since you have to pay to get in Alafia it would weed out the criminals.

Nope...it WAS an expensive bike among less expensive bikes, definitely an mtb'er that knew what he was taking. 

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2008, 04:28:18 PM »

Nope...it WAS an expensive bike among less expensive bikes, definitely an mtb'er that knew what he was taking. 

That sucks.  Some people just don't have any respect for other people's toys.
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline eclark

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2008, 08:12:29 PM »
Luis, did you get your bike stolen at a race or something?  I was locking my bike on the rack at the last workday, and Art commented that there was only one bike ever reported stolen there and it was at an event.  That sucks to have anything stolen.  I used to leave my bike unlocked on my rack all the time, now money is so tight I can't afford to have a bike stolen.

Advertisement: