Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Bike Computers  (Read 4508 times)

Offline JohnnyB

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Single Track Mind
  • My Bike: '06 Kona Coiler
Bike Computers
« on: December 07, 2008, 04:16:00 PM »
I want to get a computer to keep track of my average speed, ride time, distance, etc.  as per usual, I like to go cheapo depot and buy Wal Mart...but of course there is always the voice in the back of my head that reminds me that there is some sort of catch to buying their good.  So, does anyone have a suggestion to a relaktively cheap computer?  Is the Walmart Bell Bike Computer even worth the 14.95 they are asking for it?
FrAnKenBiKe V2.0 - Payed Forward

http://bikesboardsandbeer.blogspot.com/

Offline JohnnyB

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Single Track Mind
Re: Bike Computers
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 04:48:04 PM »
also found this: http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/17498-095_VDOCW8-2-Accessories-27-Computers/Heart-Rate-/VDO-C1-10-Function-Wired-Cycle-Computer.htm

Maybe I am ignorant, but I don't see much of a difference.  Someone straighten me out before I do something stupid.

Offline Slowy

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 04:52:22 PM »
i've ordered the $14.99 (now 11.99) computer from pricepoint. it did the job. it was the wired version. the wireless is like $20.
i'm like you, a comp is a comp to me. i don't need gps tracking and all that. and with all of the "cycle comp lost on _________ trail", i'd rather spend the $12 that way i don't feel bad if it gets lost on a crash.
one thing thats cool is that it tells u if ur above or below ur ave speed, and the display is huge

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail.htm?stylepkey=14352
Joe

"a smite a day keeps the trailbugs away"!

Offline JohnnyB

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Single Track Mind
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 04:57:44 PM »
Thanks Slowly.  I think I am gonna check the local bike shop first (instant gratification) if they dont have anything in that price range, ill order it and grit my teeth while i wait.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 05:05:16 PM »
I think the Cateye bike computers are the best bargain.  Their customer service is great if anything ever goes wrong.  I've used them for years and tried Vetta and Echo, but found Cateye to be best.
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/CP296A01-Cateye+Velo+8++Computer.aspx The bike shops keep pretty close to or below the online prices with shipping.

Offline Tony Buchman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: '08 Giant Trance X2, 2012 Kona Hei Hei 29er
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008, 05:18:53 PM »
I'm all about low price and instant gratification too and try to support the LBS every chance I get BUT sometimes it's cheaper to get thing online even with the shipping.
I asked for the Cateye micro wireless for Christmas. i don't like the idea a extra cables that could snag on things.
Check out www.sagecycles.com I found a Cateye Velo 8 for 21.99 plus they offer 15% off for first time customers so that puts the price before shipping at 18.70.
I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity.

Offline Slowy

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2008, 05:27:49 PM »
my first comp didnt work (or i messed it up) and i sent it back to price point. the day after i bought it the price dropped from 14 to 9.99. they reimbursed the shipping and lowered the price on the new comp.
Joe

"a smite a day keeps the trailbugs away"!

Online chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2008, 05:42:43 PM »
cant beat it for 10 bucks! 8)

Offline Meerkat Surprise

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2008, 05:52:15 PM »
I think the Cateye bike computers are the best bargain.  Their customer service is great if anything ever goes wrong.  I've used them for years and tried Vetta and Echo, but found Cateye to be best.
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/CP296A01-Cateye+Velo+8++Computer.aspx The bike shops keep pretty close to or below the online prices with shipping.

I've been very happy with my Cateye Micro Wireless for the last two years. Until the censor decided to find a happy place to spend eternity somewhere out at Boyette.

A friend got one of the wireless Bell ones from WalMart. We could never get it to work for more than 15 seconds consecutively.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2008, 05:54:27 PM »
I agree about Cateye. They are good bang for the buck, dead on accurate, easy to use. If you buy a leftover like the "8" you will be perfectly happy.

Planet bike makes some reasonable and decent ones. I go the discount store route. You will end up throwing it away and replacing it and therefore spend more money.

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9, Niner One9
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2008, 05:55:30 PM »
add One for Cateye Micro Wireless....I lost one computer somewhere in TN but bought another and been using two sensor with one computer for two bikes.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2008, 05:58:39 PM »
add One for Cateye Micro Wireless....I lost one computer somewhere in TN but bought another and been using two sensor with one computer for two bikes.

I thought that you would want an Abacus and a sun dial! :-\

Online chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2008, 06:00:01 PM »
lol :D

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2008, 07:02:11 PM »

That's pretty funny.
My bike is more than a toy; it's my vessel.

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9, Niner One9
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2008, 07:16:53 PM »

LMAO
.........when riding alone I observe the trees distance since they are planted with a certain distance between eachother so as to promote proper growth and since I ride slow I can count the number of trees, number of trees multiplied by distance apart divided by the circumference of a TWENTYNINE tire divided by twelve and divided by 5280 to get the number of miles. The sun's shadow is hard to gauge when you are under the canopy, so I take into consideration the temperature gradient the dirt emits and it tells me the approximate time :P :P :P

But I do use a computer during race since my calculation time is slowed down by heavy breathing ;D ;D ;D

Anyways sorry for the thread hijack......check ebay for decent and affordable bike computer with free shipping.

Advertisement: