Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Are you ERGON nomically correct?  (Read 2644 times)

Anthem1

Are you ERGON nomically correct?
« on: December 07, 2008, 10:41:42 PM »
Just wondering what ergon grip users think about this product. I have played around with them at my LBS and can see where they would be comfortable with their large contact area for the heal of your palm. Does this shape affect your ability to get a grip when the going gets rough or technical? I am thinking they would be great for long rides :)

Offline Jimbo

• Ninja Master Cyclist
Re: Are you ERGON nomically correct?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 10:54:48 PM »
I've had my Ergons for well over a year.  They work great!!  I was having the numbness of hands problem before I installed them.  No problems since then.  They haven't even been an issue to hold on to going through the rough stuff.  They were definetely a great investment.
It's not just fun, it's an addiction!

Offline Paragonman

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 12:03:29 AM »
Ergons are great! I still get numb hands on long rides but it's not nearly as bad. I have no trouble with grip on bumpy trails.
This is gonna hurt

Offline silentneko

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 09:03:51 AM »
I upgraded to ergons a little over a month ago and have noticed a nice difference, I have CTS in my left wrist and the position the ergons put you in is much better then the stock rubber grips I replaced. I have not seen any grip problems on climbs, after about 5 minutes of riding you'll forget your using them until the end of your ride when you can still feel your hands.

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 09:12:30 AM »
Ergons are great! I still get numb hands on long rides but it's not nearly as bad. I have no trouble with grip on bumpy trails.
I first got Ergons two years ago when AJ's weren't carrying it.  They first told me that my hand was going to slip off if I every hit anything.  And it did.  But that was because my thumb was over the bar instead of underneath.  The hand numbness went away but it returned after a while.  It had to do with the position.  You do have to find your position and when you do, the numbness either goes away or is not as bad.  I use the GC2 (with small bar hook) because on my SS when I stand up, it allows me to move my hand to have more control on my bar.  It also allows me to rest my hands.  Not so good when I hook a vine though.

Offline Pariah

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 12:56:12 PM »
Ditto what Marcel said.  I made the change a year ago and haven't had a regret.  They are very comfortable and I never experienced hand slippage.  On a MTB I won't use anything else.
WARNING  This document may contain technical data whose export is restricted by the Arms Export Control Act (Title 22, U.S.C., Sec 2778, et seq.) or the Export Administration Act of 1979, as amended (Title 50, U.S.C., App. 2401 et seq.). Violation of these export laws are subject to criminal penalty

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 01:19:57 PM »
Question for Ergon users - do you ever feel strange having your hand kinda locked into 1 position while riding?  I think (not 100% sure because I don't pay that much attention) that depending on the situation, I rotate my hand around the grip a little bit which may be difficult with those shaped grips.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

naked indian

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 01:22:39 PM »
Question for Ergon users - do you ever feel strange having your hand kinda locked into 1 position while riding?  I think (not 100% sure because I don't pay that much attention) that depending on the situation, I rotate my hand around the grip a little bit which may be difficult with those shaped grips.

No. I dont.

Luis

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2008, 01:34:16 PM »
My experience with Ergons: tried them when they first came out (the womens (or small) size since I have small hands). Felt great out of the box, super comfortable. BUT I could never get comfortable riding any sort of tech trails, they felt as if I would lose my grip.  Granted it never happened, but just the sensation was enough to put me off.  Sold them on ebay after a couple of rides.

I should've kept them longer and try to figure out the correct grip angle for me... I will give the GX1 a try soon, they're supposed to have a more compact body http://www.ergon-bike.com/us/grips/gx1.html.

Offline Court

• First Bike
  • My Bike: Specialized Rockhopper Expert 29er 1x9
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2008, 01:36:04 PM »
I love my Ergons.  My hands don't cramp or get numb nearly as soon anymore.  To get the fit right I put them on loose and rode around my neighborhood until they settled into a comfortable position, tightened the screws and good to go.  
-Court

Luis

Re: Numb hands
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2008, 01:41:18 PM »
It seems like a lot of people's hands are going numb here... ??? This is probably more a product of your position on the bike and not the grip that you use (right Eddie?).  Too much weight on your hands OR death grip on the bars. Loosen up people  ;)

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2008, 05:39:49 PM »
I've been using them for almost 3 years. Never had trouble with my hands going numb, they are just much more comfortable. I like the newer ones even better than the older ones, the smaller body seems to work better even though I have bigger hands. On flat open stuff like going in and out of Boyette I just rest my hands on top and don't grip the bars.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline bikehard

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2008, 05:52:29 PM »
I bought the Ergon Gx-1 after non stop numbness when riding.  I purposely bought the gx-1 due to the fact that there is grip on the finger portion of it as well as it being a slimmer profile than the gp-1.  The numbness is gone and no issues w/ not feeling a good solid grip in the most technical of trails.  Definitely would recommend!
2008 Turner 5 Spot - 28lbs of Squish!

Anthem1

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2008, 05:57:05 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback guy's, I have deceided to order a set of the GX1's :)

Offline Latte

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Huffy Rider
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2008, 07:55:03 PM »
Ergon is one of the sponsors this weekend at the `cross race.They sent me a box of different styles of grips,come on out and race and you might win a pair!
Later,
Latte

Advertisement: