Author Topic: where to start  (Read 1730 times)

Offline Reese

• Huffy Rider
where to start
« on: December 22, 2008, 07:21:27 PM »
Never been to croom and headed there tomorrow.  If i want to ride the drunken monkey and pits area what parking should i start at?  i would like to ride the more hilly parts, is that where drunken monkey is?

Thanks

Offline SandPine

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • SS Bender
    • <b>SandPine's Ride Reports</b>
Re: where to start
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 08:52:26 PM »
Parking #1 by withlachoochee is the closes but has no facilities.  Drunken Monkey is only 8 miles and the nort blue pits are 12 miles.  It is also the section with the most MotorBike erotion.  If you want a bit longer ride and want to park by bathroom and shower, then park at Tucker hill on parking #3.  You can then take north yellow and take first green "8 mile bailout" over to blue.  By pass Sugar Falls and go north on blue to pits.  Is about 10-12 miles that way.  Then 4 miles south on blue is drunken monkey.  You will have to ride back though.    Either one is about the same distance.

Offline StonePony

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 11:08:20 AM »
You may also want to consider riding the full yellow loop.  I've done fairly large amount of riding/exploring over the last week on the reds/blues, and there are a *lot* of miles of dirt-bike shredded trails.  As I mentioned in another thread, the tore up parts of the trails are actually good for cross-country training, but if you want a clean look at some nice trails, I'd say may consider starting with the yellows.

Offline Reese

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 07:51:38 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys.  We started at parking lot 3 and took the bail out and headed over to the blue loop.  what an amazing trail system, scenery is amazing and those pits are really cool.  Very deep, was that a phosphate mine also?  somehow after the pits we got turned around somehow and wound up back up at 12 mile bail out.  so we just took the roads back to the parking area.  got in around 40 miles of great riding.  think we are going back the weekend after xmas.  man that enduro really messed of some great trail, i hope that they will fix it.

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9 and some crappy commuter road bike.
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 07:56:16 PM »
Glad you had a great time. Croom is where you accumulate a lot of miles with decent climbs though some people are not attracted to the remote feeling when riding the trail.

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2008, 07:53:46 AM »
I have not been to croom in a long time. I think i will go out there after the next big rain.i know it is a lot of fun when it is packed!