Author Topic: Hot Spots to hit in Croom? Anyone have favorite places?  (Read 3837 times)

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9 and some crappy commuter road bike.
Re: Hot Spots to hit in Croom? Anyone have favorite places?
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2008, 02:31:05 PM »
Doh!!! So that is what those green markings are for.

Luis

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2008, 02:37:41 PM »
Doh!!! So that is what those green markings are for.

:D I was burned a few times before I really knew the place...but I still carry a map just in case.

Offline StonePony

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2008, 02:44:48 PM »
Ah Grasshopper - I see the problem.  All of those green dots are from the motorcycles.  Not good for bicycles, we're working on that.  They damaged 19 miles of bike trail so that sometimes it hard to determine what is (was) bicycle trail and what isn't.  There are only three Red Connector trails in the whole place - well, four, but it's very new - coming out of the red clay pits the trail continues on your right right after looping past the right edge of that deep big pit.  There is another older trail entrance just beyond that which would likely get you lost.  Hope that clears it up some.  Dec. 28th there is a club ride there.  Might be a good chance to see the actual trails without getting off on motorcycle trails by mistake.
LOL, ok that explains it.  I obviously continued straight into the 2nd entrance you mentioned.  Thanks for the help.  

Offline SandPine

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • SS Bender
    • <b>SandPine's Ride Reports</b>
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2008, 10:27:42 AM »
... All of those green dots are from the motorcycles.  Not good for bicycles, we're working on that.  ...
There are also trails with white, blue, orange, and double blue paint markings on trees.  Those are hiking and horse trails.  Also not good for bicycles.  So stay away from those.   ;D  Use the Fire Roads (mayor sand pits) only if you want to walk your bike or need to get back to Croom RD.

Offline Dean Palmer

• First Bike
  • Good people drink good beer
    • The Beer Journals
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2008, 02:21:39 PM »
Dean,
Good to hear you had some good riding out there.  You can't just ride by the south red connector from yellow to blue without stopping at Skip's memorial and saying hi.  At least read over the material by the cross.  How about the abandoned grave yard?  I am sure you found the red clay pits and the fun pits on south red.  But did you find the "spirit tree" ?  that is on the north side though.  How about the big water fall over by sugar falls mountain.  Is it nice to take a dip in that thing specially when is really hot.   ;D

;D :P ;)  We did see the cross at the side of the trail and figured it was the one discussed here, but didn't see the graveyard. We did go through the red pit, but it was a bit wet and slippery, so nobody really gave it much attention. Probably better with less water laying around. I'm assuming the fun pits are the ones in the woods where the trail winds around a bit and there is a bit of climbing and such. The waterfall was incredible, as was the crystal clear water and rope swing into the natural hot spring  ;D

We met a few hunters out on the trail that told us of some spots we should hit next time with some drops and such. They were incredibly tolerant seeing that we probably scared any game straight out of the forest into the suburbs that morning!

Still many more trails to explore for sure!

Offline Dean Palmer

• First Bike
  • Good people drink good beer
    • The Beer Journals
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2008, 09:24:38 PM »
Just in case anyone is wondering, we are joking about the waterfall and such!  ;D

Offline Paintboy

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
  • Dudes Ride club
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2008, 06:53:39 PM »
Just in case anyone is wondering, we are joking about the waterfall and such!  ;D

DOH!!!! Dam u Sandpine  ;D  ;D  :D

Offline SandPine

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • SS Bender
    • <b>SandPine's Ride Reports</b>
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2008, 10:23:08 AM »
They don't call it Sugar Falls fo'nothin... seriously there are some "falls" to be left (i mean found) there....   ;D ;D  Actually, you can go swimmin in a river that is only a few yards away from one of the sections of the trail.  I'll let you find this spot on your own!

Offline StonePony

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2008, 09:06:17 AM »
Ah Grasshopper - I see the problem.  All of those green dots are from the motorcycles.  Not good for bicycles, we're working on that.  They damaged 19 miles of bike trail so that sometimes it hard to determine what is (was) bicycle trail and what isn't.  There are only three Red Connector trails in the whole place - well, four, but it's very new - coming out of the red clay pits the trail continues on your right right after looping past the right edge of that deep big pit.  There is another older trail entrance just beyond that which would likely get you lost.  Hope that clears it up some.  Dec. 28th there is a club ride there.  Might be a good chance to see the actual trails without getting off on motorcycle trails by mistake.
LOL, ok that explains it.  I obviously continued straight into the 2nd entrance you mentioned.  Thanks for the help.  
Hey Garry -- just wanted to follow up on this in case anyone else has the same issue.  It turns out I was on the correct (red) trail.  The green dots start almost immediately after you get on the red trail from south yellow (they look like brand new fresh paint) which was throwing me off a little.  And as far as the issue where I came to a few signposts pointing immediately left for red, and green straight -- basically the deal there is there is a small red loop that has been created to navigate around a sharp left/up turn that the dirt bikes tore up.  This is before FR 7.  So, there are a few signs setup around that, and the arrow pointing ahead as green seems to indicate the small 20 yards of continuing (old) red trail is now a green connector, and the real/new red trail has a couple of cool little gullies and slightly technical riding.  So you can either just continue straight and the red trail resumes after 20 yards or so around the sharp left turn, or you can monkey around on the red trail and have a little fun.

I will tell you what though -- the red trail in that area, if you ride it hard, is a heck of a workout.   :D