Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: cracking noise + pedal slips  (Read 2653 times)

Offline Chris K

• Trips For Kids Tampa
  • Amateur Billy Goat
    • TFK Tampa
cracking noise + pedal slips
« on: December 13, 2008, 09:40:24 PM »
Hey guys, 

I just bought a used Specialized Rockhopper that needs some work done on it and a few parts replaced.  I was hoping someone here could help me figure out what one of the problems is. When you try to pedal hard it will make a cracking a clunking sound (just one crack...not  over and over again) and when you pedal over over a bump it makes the same noise and the pedals slip for almost a full rotation before catching again.  I am going to take it to a lbs but I wanted to have an idea of what it might be before I take it in.  I checked the chain and I did not see any stiff links.

Thanks Chris
Trips For Kids Tampa- Mountain bike outings and educational opportunities for "at risk" kids www.mtbyouthride.org

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
Re: cracking noise + pedal slips
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 02:41:17 AM »
Does it do it regards less of what gear your in?

If it's not changing gears on the front rings than I'd say its the free hub (piece that the rear cassette/sprocket cluster splines to) is bad. This is the part that allows you to free spin the pedals backwards but will catch when pedaling forward.Many models allow you to change just the fee hub instead of the entire hub assembly which would require a break down and rebuild of the wheel.

What year is the bike? Get a good deal?

Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 08:21:19 AM »
Sounds like the teeth are bad on your chainring and possibly the cassette. 8)

Anthem1

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 04:25:23 PM »
Sounds like ghost shifting of the rear derailer, is the chain jumping cogs on your cassette? If so, turn the barrel adjuster on your right shifter counter clock wise(or out, effectivly lenghtening your brake housing and tightening your derailer cable). When the slack in your cable is weaker than the spring in your derailer it will cause shifting between gears  :)

Offline Chris K

• Trips For Kids Tampa
  • Amateur Billy Goat
    • TFK Tampa
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 07:10:36 PM »
Does it do it regards less of what gear your in?

If it's not changing gears on the front rings than I'd say its the free hub (piece that the rear cassette/sprocket cluster splines to) is bad. This is the part that allows you to free spin the pedals backwards but will catch when pedaling forward.Many models allow you to change just the fee hub instead of the entire hub assembly which would require a break down and rebuild of the wheel.

What year is the bike? Get a good deal?

its a 2008 and I got it for $170.  It needs a front left shifter and front derailuer and probably a free hub.  I am going to use the parts off my old bike (except for the free hub) for now until I can afford to upgrade to quality parts.  I was going to take it to AJ's to have everything switched.  Are their prices reasonable or is there somewhere else I could go to have it done cheaper.  Everyone on hear seems to speak highly of AJ's so I imagine they do a good job.  I dont mind payinga little more to have it done right.

Trips For Kids Tampa- Mountain bike outings and educational opportunities for "at risk" kids www.mtbyouthride.org

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2008, 08:13:35 PM »
$170 seems like an outragous deal! Most likely a $500 bike new if it has disc brakes.
As far as bike repair, go with Aj's if you want no headache quality work. If you want cheap get-ur-done with the possiblility of a long wait time for parts go with Extreme Cycle gear in Riverview.
I have a Shimano XT 31.8 front derailleur just sitting in my tool box and it looks like it might fit your bike according to Specialized web site. What color is your bike and does it have a specific model like "Rockhopper Disc" or "Rockhopper Comp"? My buddy has a Sram X-5 left shifter that is compatible with Shimano front derailleurs. It's brand new and I think he wants $30 for it. I think a new set of X-5 shifters is like $70.
You other option would be to just run it in the center ring (sprocket) since it's not that often that you need the big or little gear. I rode a bike for 6 months that way.

Oh yeah, nothing on a mountain bike is reasonably priced.

Offline Chris K

• Trips For Kids Tampa
  • Amateur Billy Goat
    • TFK Tampa
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2008, 08:48:06 PM »
its just the base model, no disc  brakes.  Aj's sell the 09 model for just over $600 so I figured even with a few problems it was a good deal.  I am just going to use my other components for now.  I have an old sram mrx shifter and a shimano derailleur ( i think its an altus).  If it is going to cost an arm and a leg to have a lbs do it though I think I might do like you said and keep it on the second ring.  I really dont use the other ones when I ride any way. I could definetaly make due with that for a while. 

Offline JohnnyB

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Single Track Mind
  • My Bike: '06 Kona Coiler
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 10:47:18 AM »
Did you ever figure out what the problem was?  My cranks are creeking now..I'm not jumping cogs or anything..it sounds almost as if they cranks arms are loose or something.  I don't have the right size allen wrench to try and tighten them.  Doubt it is anything serious tho...hopefully.
FrAnKenBiKe V2.0 - Payed Forward

http://bikesboardsandbeer.blogspot.com/

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 11:10:46 AM »
Frankenbikes come with a limited 30 day or 30 feet warranty (which ever comes first). Have you taken the bike more than 30 feet from the build site?

Offline KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Smite master!
    • Raymond James Financial Services
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 12:44:36 PM »
Frankenbikes come with a limited 30 day or 30 feet warranty (which ever comes first). Have you taken the bike more than 30 feet from the build site?

Hah! Johnny, I might be down at Alafia this weekend if my frigin wheels ever get built. Suppose to "hopefully" be done this Friday, if not, I won't be down there until next weekend. Either way, if I see you or you see me, hit me up and I will look into your creakage.
We continuously seek feedback from you as to how we can improve our policies and procedures since our primary goal is to act in partnership with you. If you have any questions or need to report any problems on the SWAMP forum, please send me a PM and I will get back with you ASAP.

Offline JohnnyB

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Single Track Mind
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2008, 01:57:30 PM »
Thanks Krunnch.  I think I might be able to make it to Alafia on Friday, not 100% though.  I need to start buying some tool anyway...but I am gonna wait to see what Santa got me first :D

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2008, 01:58:37 PM »
Keep in mind that a creaky seat post can sound a lot like a creaking bottom bracket. Had a old Giant NRS that beat me up trying to find a mystery creak. Eventually cleaned seat post and seat stay tube with solvent and blew dry. Reinstalled and tighted well over torque spec (tossed the stock quick release clamp for a bolt on type). Creak was 100% gone for around 6-8 months. Creak came back so I repeated the previous repair with same success. Performed this repair on another bike with same outcome. Tried it on my current bike but it ended up being the headset. Still haven't fixed that. Sounds like a good excuse to put some Chris King bling on.

I'm in no way trying to say that bottom brackets /crank arms  do not creak. I'd say you have newer style crank with ISIS mounting splines and not the older square tapered type that would creak when loose. If you have the old square tapered style you need to file a complaint with the Swamp clubs Frankenbike division for not providing you with an up to date crank set.

Krunnch: Are you building up that crazy long travel Kona frame you posted a while back? Don't tell me you broke the frame on your existing rig.

Offline JohnnyB

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Single Track Mind
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2008, 02:18:46 PM »
I don't think it is the seatpost because it creaks when I am standing and putting a lot of pressure on the pedals.  Like when torquing through soft sand or up a steep climb.  Pretty sure its just the crank arms and/or the pedals coming loose a bit.

Offline KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Smite master!
    • Raymond James Financial Services
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2008, 02:25:33 PM »
Keep in mind that a creaky seat post can sound a lot like a creaking bottom bracket. Had a old Giant NRS that beat me up trying to find a mystery creak. Eventually cleaned seat post and seat stay tube with solvent and blew dry. Reinstalled and tighted well over torque spec (tossed the stock quick release clamp for a bolt on type). Creak was 100% gone for around 6-8 months. Creak came back so I repeated the previous repair with same success. Performed this repair on another bike with same outcome. Tried it on my current bike but it ended up being the headset. Still haven't fixed that. Sounds like a good excuse to put some Chris King bling on.

I'm in no way trying to say that bottom brackets /crank arms  do not creak. I'd say you have newer style crank with ISIS mounting splines and not the older square tapered type that would creak when loose. If you have the old square tapered style you need to file a complaint with the Swamp clubs Frankenbike division for not providing you with an up to date crank set.

Krunnch: Are you building up that crazy long travel Kona frame you posted a while back? Don't tell me you broke the frame on your existing rig.

No the pops took the old frame. I am almost done building the new frame up. Waiting for the rear wheel to be laced up and that is it. Got the push'd DHX 5.0 in today (shock did have a slight leak at the pro-pedal knob and wasn't holding pressure). So if they finish the wheel by Friday/Saturday, then I will take her down to Alafia for the maiden voyage. I also finished up the fork lastnight, got a new set of enduro seals and some 7.5W/10W oil combination going.
We continuously seek feedback from you as to how we can improve our policies and procedures since our primary goal is to act in partnership with you. If you have any questions or need to report any problems on the SWAMP forum, please send me a PM and I will get back with you ASAP.

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2008, 03:49:12 PM »
DHX 5.0 is not coil over right? Believe that is the same shock my buddy has on his Specialized Enduro and he loves it. Seems a bit underkill/freeride for that frame you posted. Maybe trying to get the best of both worlds?

Other friend of mine has a push'd fork and hasn't had any issures with it.

Advertisement: