Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: lets talk tires  (Read 2975 times)

Offline silentneko

• Clipless Mountain Goat
lets talk tires
« on: December 17, 2008, 09:41:34 PM »
ok so I'm having alot of issues with big climbs (loyce harpe = moon walk, puff n stuff, roller coaster...), I am using the stock 2.1 tires that came on my specialized hardrock. the 2 main problems I'm having are 1. grip, I've tried lowering pressure and shifting weight, and 2. running out of momentum, basically if I'm not slipping then I'm coming to a stop half way up.

if I were to upgrade which way do you go? bigger knobbs? smaller knobbs? wider? skinny? tubeless? and what is a folding tread? also can I just upgrade my rear for now since my front isn't really the issue? any other suggestions on how to improve my climb would be great?

Offline richardo

• Amateur Billy Goat
Re: lets talk tires
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 09:49:01 PM »
Its PROBABLY not the tires, those are some tough climbs dude.

It was a while before a LOT of riders made those climbs. That Moon Walk climb can be easily made with nothing but momentum and a little bit of spinning towards the top. Puff n Stuff is all about carrying some decent speed into it and spinning away. Rollercoaster is a bit different because of the angle/turn.

Tires will make a difference with your speed though, might I suggest a Small Block Eight in the rear and a Stan's kit, you'll notice a huge difference.

Offline silentneko

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 10:16:35 PM »
I can just about clear moonwalk, but puff and roller coaster I fall flat on my face most times.

I was looking at the small block 8, what's a stan's kit? is that the puncture proffer deal?

does me being a big guy have alot to do with it. my girl cleared puff today on nothing but momentem, and she seems to be able to keep her speed easier on the raod even though I've got much more pedal power. So I guess my question is which is better for maintaining uphill momentum, lower body weight or being a fat ass?

Offline richardo

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 10:29:49 PM »
Size could have something to do with it, I know a guy who is a little over 320 and while he can make the rollercoaster climb he can't make the one on Puff n Stuff. On the plus side, due to his size his torque is unreal, its just hard to pedal 300+ lbs up a hill.

Stan's kit is a kit (obviously) that converts regular wheels/tires to tubeless. Check it out online, www.notubes.com - simple to install, the first time might be a pain because it'll be new. I can do a Stan's kit in about 10 minutes from start to finish now.

Another thing, are you clipless or are you using platforms? If you're using platforms that could be a huge reason you're not making some of those climbs, you're using a lot of energy just trying to stay on the pedals and that will hinder your climbing abilities.

Offline silentneko

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 10:37:10 PM »
nope I'm still using platforms and toying with the clipless idea, seems thats the way I'll have to go eventually. will going tubeless save alot of weight? thanks for the info.

Offline steve

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 10:39:38 PM »
Yes you will save weight,Leroy has the Stan`s kits

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 10:41:54 PM »
I am thinking that it has less to do with tires and more to do with gearing pedal efficiency and weight transfer. There is alot to be said for clipless pedals and the ability to pedal in circles instead of just pushing. When you are just mashing down on the cranks, it is very easy to overwhelm any tire. I would look at changing pedals first.

Just my opinion :-\

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 07:53:42 AM »
Come out the next time I'm at Carter and we'll work on those climbs.  My guess is that it is more technique and leg power rather than tires, but we can find out for sure. 

The climb into Moon Walk (I'm assuming you are talking about the climb at the entrance) is really pure momentum.  You get all your speed on the flat section before the climb and just pedal a bit at the top to carry you over. 

Puff 'n Stuff (paver climb) is a either a momentum climb or a grinder depending on how much speed you can carry into it.  If you can carry a ton of speed, you'll only need to pedal a bit at the top otherwise you'll need to grind it out - stay seated, drop to a decently easy gear (middle front and largest in the back) and pedal your way up balancing keeping your weight on the rear wheel to prevent it from slipping and keeping weight on the front to prevent it front lifting up.

The climb into Roller Coaster is a pure grinder.  Get as much speed as you can on the flat and then just grind it out.  Try not to pay attention to drop on your right and just look where you want to go.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 08:27:30 AM »
I'm inclined to agree with you Bill, that it's more of a technique issue.  But it could also be a combination of the two.  I had always had trouble with that climb into Roller Coaster and finally made it on my first shakedown ride on my new bike, even with slow Nevegals front and rear.  I attributed it to the 5+ pound weight savings.  That being said, I've been out there 3 times now on the new bike, and have NOT made the paver climb on Puff n Stuff.  >:(  And yet I've made it before on my old 30+ pound old bike.  Talk about frustrating.
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 09:21:23 AM »
For the climb into Roller Coaster, traction isn't really an issue, but you can drift to the inside and clip your bar or drift to the outside and go off the cliff so you just look were you are going and maybe kick it down a gear or two to make the pedaling easier.

The paver climb on Puff- try to keep off the brakes as much as possible going into and then trust your tires grip on the pavers.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline silentneko

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 09:33:29 AM »
good stuff guys, just one more question for right now cause I gots to go study for a state exam I have today, I'm 6'3'' 230lbs+/- what tire pressure should I be running on a tubed tire? or should I say wheres a good starting point?

Offline benjibbad

• Ninja Master Cyclist
    • MY Space
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2008, 09:51:37 AM »
I would say around 35-37 would be the minimum.
Pedal fast, Hit hard - pain is temporary, and chicks dig scars!!

Check out the Blog:
http://scifdps.blogspot.com/

Offline Paragonman

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2008, 09:52:35 AM »
...My guess is that it is more technique and leg power rather than tires, but we can find out for sure... 

Exactly. All those climbs can be made on semi-slicks. Just stick with it and pretty soon you'll be at the top!
This is gonna hurt

Offline richardo

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2008, 12:26:35 PM »
I'm using Small Block Eights front and rear and I can make those climbs 95% of the time now. A lot of it just comes from experience and knowing what line, speed, etc to use.

It sure does feel good to make that Puff n Stuff climb though, now I just have to work on the exit to Sneaky Snake.

Offline richardo

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2008, 12:29:19 PM »
I should note that I didn't make those climbs regularly until I went clipless. Its a word of difference, Neko.

Advertisement: