Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Cracked ribs?  (Read 4372 times)

Offline Harvey

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
Cracked ribs?
« on: December 18, 2008, 10:40:53 AM »
Yesterday I took a stupid crash at Alafia (aren't they all stupid?!?). We were riding North Creek, coming around one of those narrow sweeping left turns. I obviously turned too far left, riding right into a tree, hitting it hard. My left side took the impact, from my head down to my hip. The lingering injury is my ribs - on my left side right at the bottom of the rib cage.

Funny thing was I did that after cleaning all the drops on No-dab Ridge in Moonscape.  ::)

I could sleep on my left side last night, but coughing and sudden moves with my left arm really hurt. It's not "take your breath away" hurt, but it's a pretty sharp pain.

What's been the experience with cracked vs. bruised ribs around here?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 10:44:17 AM by Harvey, Reason: Typos »

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
Re: Cracked ribs?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 10:49:11 AM »
Yesterday I took a stupid crash at Alafia (aren't they all stupid?!?). We were riding North Creek, coming around one of those narrow sweeping left turns. I obviously turned too far left, riding right into a tree, hitting it hard. My left side took the impact, from my head down to my hip. The lingering injury is my ribs - on my left side right at the bottom of the rib cage.

Funny thing was I did that after cleaning all the drops on No-dab Ridge in Moonscape.  ::)

I could sleep on my left side last night, but coughing and sudden moves with my left arm really hurt. It's not "take your breath away" hurt, but it's a pretty sharp pain.

What's been the experience with cracked vs. bruised ribs around here?

I broke 2 ribs at santos and bruised 2 others 7 months ago

I broke 3 ribs (which punctured and collapsed lung) nov 2

the 2 ribs that were barley broken and bruised 7 months ago took longer to heal than the 3 really broken ones - and they hurt more.

If you can yawn and cough and sneeze without being in a ton of pain...you are probably looking 2-3 weeks of discomfort..with it getting better each day

Offline SamW

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Huffy Rider
  • SWAMPER
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 10:49:38 AM »
I have injured my ribs twice riding. I am not sure if they were broken or bruised and what would be the point of going to the doctor for injured ribs? I will tell you that your injury will be an annoyance for about a 4 to 6 weeks. The first week is the most uncomfortable, but it gets slowly better with each passing day. I made the mistake of re-aggravating them by turning to look back while backing my car....don't make this mistake.
If it makes you feel any better, just pay attention to how many NFL players play week after week with a rib injury.
Don't worry Harvey, you can still ride with cracked/broken ribs.
Addicted to MTB

Luis

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 10:50:16 AM »
Was the crash before or after you rubed it in our face that you were going to ride while we worked?  ;) j/k

Never cracked a rib, but Lima bruised hers some time ago.  I remember she was in pain for a good couple of weeks...

Get an X-ray to be sure...

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 10:51:59 AM »
there is really nothing they can do to help....just rest them

Offline Harvey

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 10:56:33 AM »
Was the crash before or after you rubed it in our face that you were going to ride while we worked?  ;) j/k
I knew you were working that voodoo doll over. ;)

So, it sounds like I'm good to go as long as what I do doesn't cause excessive pain - just like any injury. I guess I should also stay out of the gym for a couple of weeks.

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9, Niner One9
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 11:05:04 AM »
My wife brought a maternity belt which I used to wrap my chest to support my ribs. It helps a lot on easing the pain while coughing, laughing and especially sneezing.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 11:12:39 AM »
a maternity belt which I used to wrap my chest

:o

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 11:26:52 AM »
one other thing - this time mine was severe enough that I am having to undergo pulmanary rehab at a clinic so not to have scar tissue that actually will alter my lung capacity.

I have this forced air thingy I breathe through as well as doing a program like this:

1) Stand in a relaxed position. Arms loose at your sides and legs slightly apart.

2) Through your nostrils, breathe out normally as you always do………. then breathe in. Do this a couple of times.

3) Now, slowly exhale through your mouth until you can’t anymore……….but don’t stop here, because there is actually more stale air in your lungs left in the lungs which we don’t usually exchange when we do our normal breathing.

Next, you force your diaphragm to push out the innermost air from your lungs by panting, “hah……hah…..hah….” with your mouth………..until you know there is almost no air in your lungs. You will be amazed how far you can go at this “hah” part! (I counted up to 10 on my part!)

At this point, you can feel your stomach and abdomen flattening inwards.

4) Through your nose, slowly breathe in the fresh, clean air into your oxygen starved lungs…………

5) Fill up your lungs and hold your breath for 5 seconds, counting slowly 1….2….3……4…..5.

6) Exhale through your mouth again until you can’t and then you force yourself to pant again, going “hah…..hah……hah….” to squeeze out all the air from your lungs.

Repeat Step 4.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 11:41:09 AM by FACTORe »

Offline Harvey

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 12:06:14 PM »
The more the day progresses, the more I think nothing's broken. I can laugh without intense pain. Poking around, the pain feels centered below the rib cage, indicating a tissue bruise.

Fingers are crossed.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 12:14:12 PM »
The more the day progresses, the more I think nothing's broken. I can laugh without intense pain. Poking around, the pain feels centered below the rib cage, indicating a tissue bruise.

Fingers are crossed.

You teach me how to ride those hard trails and I will teach you how to break your ribs right

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2008, 12:21:29 PM »
I broke 2 ribs in high school but a few years ago I pulled some cartilege in my rib cage which hurt way more than the broken ribs. It took much less time to heal but the pain was more intense.
My bike is more than a toy; it's my vessel.

Offline jdk

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • I LIKE BIKES
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2008, 12:34:20 PM »
I've injured my ribs twice in my short mountain biking career. From what I've been able to gather there is really nothing you can do regardless of whether you've cracked or bruised them, except for rest. I've found nearly any exercise that involves  your upper body will result in pain when your ribs are injured, so you might want to lay off that for at least 4 weeks. The good news is riding bikes is about the only thing you can do that wont result in pain. Initially I thought I was fine after a week or so and went back to lifting weights, which just made things worse, so just do yourself a favor and rest up.

^Me, while riding a Turner.

Offline Harvey

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2008, 01:28:07 PM »
You teach me how to ride those hard trails and I will teach you how to break your ribs right
I dunno - I like my track record of 2 injuries that required medical attention in 15 years of riding.

Offline Paragonman

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2008, 01:42:53 PM »
Harv I'd bet you strained or bruised your interstitial muscles between the ribs. I've done it plenty of times. Couple more days and all will be ok.
This is gonna hurt

Advertisement: