Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Big Drop  (Read 9235 times)

Offline Reese

• Amateur Billy Goat
Big Drop
« on: December 20, 2008, 07:38:29 PM »
Havent been to boyette in a while.  Trails are in great shape!!!!  was out there with my wife today so i didnt ride it but has anyone ridden big drop in the past few days?  i stopped to look and it looked real sketchy.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
Re: Big Drop
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 09:06:25 PM »
Rode it a few weeks ago. It has gotten pretty rough over the summer, and I don't think many people ride it to help keep it rode in.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 10:02:32 PM »
I skipped it as well. There is a considerable drop off after the last paver as well as off to the sides of them. I guess I'm not as brave as I used to be because I didn't want any part of that.
My bike is more than a toy; it's my vessel.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 10:50:32 PM »
I skipped it as well. There is a considerable drop off after the last paver as well as off to the sides of them. I guess I'm not as brave as I used to be because I didn't want any part of that.

It's become a pretty tough drop.  It's do-able - weight back - no front brake - little back brake - did I mention weight back? Watch that curve at the end.  We're looking at a redesign, or reworking it so it is more sustainable.

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 11:32:34 PM »
Looked at it today and decided to skip it.
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 06:46:52 AM »

It's become a pretty tough drop.  It's do-able - weight back - no front brake - little back brake - did I mention weight back? Watch that curve at the end.  We're looking at a redesign, or reworking it so it is more sustainable.

I used to ride it before the pavers were intalled but I haven't since. I've always liked the climb out of there. 
My bike is more than a toy; it's my vessel.

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 06:53:16 AM »
Did it a couple of weeks ago. Pretty exciting! Had my stomach on my saddle I was so far back.  ;D
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 08:19:17 AM »
I used to ride it before the pavers were intalled but I haven't since. I've always liked the climb out of there. 

The pavers actually make it better.  After one heavy storm the drop in was badly rutted out and loose rocks everywhere.  We put the pavers in and it at least gave a chance at a stable entrance. Still it's a bit dicey after the pavers, but keeping the weight back and looking where you WANT to go works.

Offline Jim DeLuca

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2008, 10:58:13 AM »
Big Drop is not that bad if you make it over the hole after the pavers and the exposed root at the bottom, and if your not playing Superman by now there is that turn!  Seriously,  Just an Idea, but I think we should pull down the banks and build up the center and work on the drainage.  Also, put down some lime rock.  This would be an option rather than a reroute. I know pretty much all resources are being diverted to Ridgeline, but we should do something with Big Drop next workday. 

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2008, 02:15:35 PM »

The pavers actually make it better.  After one heavy storm the drop in was badly rutted out and loose rocks everywhere.  We put the pavers in and it at least gave a chance at a stable entrance. Still it's a bit dicey after the pavers, but keeping the weight back and looking where you WANT to go works.

Looking where you want to go is fine, but I can't see by the time I hit the bottom, my eyeballs got rattled out of my head! :D Seriously though, it's not bad on a FS bike, but on a hardtail it is rough!
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline Jim DeLuca

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2008, 02:22:22 PM »
I tried it on my rigid.  Was not a good idea.  Dang Root!

Looking where you want to go is fine, but I can't see by the time I hit the bottom, my eyeballs got rattled out of my head! :D Seriously though, it's not bad on a FS bike, but on a hardtail it is rough!

Offline MT

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • The rider formerly known as mtbker1224
    • Escape the Daily Grind
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2008, 05:16:45 PM »
BIG DROP is a horrifying, extremely technical, almost impossible downhill which inspires fear in the heart of most men. Just the thought of attempting it brings me to tears  :'(

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2008, 05:19:26 PM »
 ;D    ;D    ;D
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2008, 05:57:43 PM »
Used to drop in there years ago when it was just a ravine. Guilty of dragging my brakes I'm sure, but what a rush. Earth and rocks  and baby heads rolling down the hill with you as you manage the slide. This was during the era of the V brakes  and modulation was not as easy and the brakes were not nearly what they are today.  I think that most of that trail was old animal trails along the bottom of that pit area.
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline Tony Buchman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: '08 Giant Trance X2, 2012 Kona Hei Hei 29er
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2008, 08:03:07 PM »
There's noway I'm going to try the Big drop but what is the trial like after you rappel down the entrance?
I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity.

Advertisement: