Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: First ride on 29'r SS  (Read 6011 times)

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
First ride on 29'r SS
« on: December 21, 2008, 01:24:24 PM »
Quick unbiased reveiw on my first experience with the whole 29'r single speed hardtail thing:
Test bike: 2006 Gary Fisher Rig large frame 18T rear 32T front
Test location: Boyette
Test trails: Pretty much everything except Pandamonium, the meadows, and woods trail.
1) Is it noticeably faster? Yes, my eye's watered more than usual (two test riders thought so too and they both want one now)
2) Did it make me faster overall? Yes (waited on other riders at the end of the trail much longer than usual)
3) Is it fun? Yes
4) Does it lower my confidence level on technical downhills? Yes, forces you to think before you drop.
5) How is the steering? Felt like my old ten speed on tight switchbacks but everything else seemed fine.
6) Did I make all the uphills that I usually make? Yes, but I couldn't be lazy about it or react at the last minute. I even made that nasty climb out of South Abyss! Granted it is easier than it used to be.
7) Will I try it at Alafia? Yes, but I'm doubtful that I'll like it near as much out there.
8) How did it do on the two track trip out to the main trails? Needed another gear, did fine on SST though (almost kept up with Benjibbad)
9) Do I think it will make me a better rider? Yes, for sure.
10) Do I like the idea of back to basics? Kinda
11) Will I sell my FS bike? No way!
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline Jim DeLuca

• Cycling Sherpa
Re: First ride on 29'r SS
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 01:33:38 PM »
Did you buy the rig on Craigs list?

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 01:36:10 PM »
Yup, but it was basically brand new.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 01:39:43 PM by catman »

Offline Jim DeLuca

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 01:43:03 PM »
I sold my Trance to buy it.....LOL  I understand the SS29ers are worthless so if ya want to sell that thing let me know. 

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 01:44:09 PM »
Nice review Catman. These un-scientific results can be explained easily.
2) Did it make me faster overall? Yes (waited on other riders at the end of the trail much longer than usual)  - the other riders speed was likely slower than usual because of weekend partying and holiday distractions. This explains why you had to wait a little longer.

1) Is it noticeably faster? Yes, my eye's watered more than usual (two test riders thought so too and they both want one now) - the dryer air has made everybodies eyes water a little bit more.

9) Do I think it will make me a better rider? Yes, for sure. - clearly a placebo effect.

11) Will I sell my FS bike? No way!   -  now thats smart thinking!

;D   ;D    ;D

" Not this time, Lance"

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 02:02:45 PM »
Nice review Catman. These un-scientific results can be explained easily.
2) Did it make me faster overall? Yes (waited on other riders at the end of the trail much longer than usual)  - the other riders speed was likely slower than usual because of weekend partying and holiday distractions. This explains why you had to wait a little longer.

1) Is it noticeably faster? Yes, my eye's watered more than usual (two test riders thought so too and they both want one now) - the dryer air has made everybodies eyes water a little bit more.

9) Do I think it will make me a better rider? Yes, for sure. - clearly a placebo effect.

11) Will I sell my FS bike? No way!   -  now thats smart thinking!

;D   ;D    ;D

One of my buddies was out late the night before at something he called a "ugly sweater party"????? Other guy still has a wrist brace on from previous Boyette injury.

Instead of placebo effect I'd say it was deparately trying to justify the cost of yet another bike.

Come to think of it I did have to stop several times to reapply chapstick.

Allright that's enough, quit ruining this for me.

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 02:13:23 PM »
I sold my Trance to buy it.....LOL  I understand the SS29ers are worthless so if ya want to sell that thing let me know. 

Seen your other post about needing suspension fork and disc brakes. I guess you wanted the GF for parts? Do you have disc hubs? I was thinking of going hydraulic so therefore my Avid BB-7 mechanicals would be up for sale.

Offline Jim DeLuca

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 02:33:10 PM »

Seen your other post about needing suspension fork and disc brakes. I guess you wanted the GF for parts? Do you have disc hubs? I was thinking of going hydraulic so therefore my Avid BB-7 mechanicals would be up for sale.
SS29ers are it F/S not needed!  I'm glad you found out the truth.  I already went to plan b and have the BB5's on the way. Now forks are an issue.  I hate to put forks on my redline that cost more than the bike.

naked indian

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2008, 04:07:04 PM »

SS29ers are it F/S not needed!  I'm glad you found out the truth.  I already went to plan b and have the BB5's on the way. Now forks are an issue.  I hate to put forks on my redline that cost more than the bike.

just be patient.  once i get a rigid fork for my mamasita, imma sell my reba for a reasonable price.

Offline Jim DeLuca

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2008, 04:20:29 PM »

just be patient.  once i get a rigid fork for my mamasita, imma sell my reba for a reasonable price.

You are da man!  I'm patient and can deal with the rigid forks.  I'm glad I have a 29ER, and I don't have to deal with that heavy gearing clutter!  The great news is I'm free from F/S, and soon we all will be! 

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2008, 05:02:35 PM »
Not so fast there jmdeluca05. I think a sizable percentage of riders will stick with the amenities of our modern society. Gears and suspension are progress in the field of cycling engineering and a movement forward in effeciency.  I remember the unibomber. I think he would be a 29'er, all holed up there in his shack, trying to ruin it for the rest of us. Enjoy it while you it can, before the carpal tunnel syndome, sore back, numbness in various body areas, and bad knees kick in.   ;D   ;D
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline MT

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • The rider formerly known as mtbker1224
    • Escape the Daily Grind
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2008, 05:18:07 PM »
Full rigid SS 29ers are evil!

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2008, 05:23:14 PM »
Evil machines!
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline Jim DeLuca

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2008, 05:40:04 PM »
Yeap they are evil indeed.  My questions are if I told you I have a bike that you could clear every trail for just a couple of hundred bucks would you buy it?  Has technology forced us into building more technical trails?   

Online BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2008, 06:18:00 PM »
Yeap they are evil indeed.  My questions are if I told you I have a bike that you could clear every trail for just a couple of hundred bucks would you buy it?  Has technology forced us into building more technical trails?   

Bikes don't clear trails, riders do.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Advertisement: