Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Share your TESTED experiences.  (Read 2293 times)

naked indian

Share your TESTED experiences.
« on: December 22, 2008, 09:56:26 AM »
I got three pairs of wool socks.

One pair, might as well be regular cycling socks, cause in the cold they are worthless. 
I got one pair, that is tops, but its hard to tell what brand it is.
And one pair, that didnt work so well when I went on my Dirty Lil tour not too long ago.

So, this leads to my question.  Who has used a pair of Wool Socks in 30 degree or colder weather that actually worked and kept your toes warm?

Thanks.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
Re: Share your TESTED experiences.
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 10:03:22 AM »
this is Flor-i-duh

Online BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 10:33:21 AM »
2 pairs of cycling socks if it is really cold, otherwise I've never given it a second thought.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9, Niner One9
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 10:37:51 AM »
The longest ride I did on a 25-35F was around 3.5 hours with a wool sock (generic brand) and I can feel the cold but not to the point of being uncomfortable. This year at 2:30 hours with 25-33F and wearing swiftwick wool sock, did not feel the cold.

naked indian

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 11:00:51 AM »
The longest ride I did on a 25-35F was around 3.5 hours with a wool sock (generic brand) and I can feel the cold but not to the point of being uncomfortable. This year at 2:30 hours with 25-33F and wearing swiftwick wool sock, did not feel the cold.

swift wick... got a link I could look at, this is the kind of information I need.

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9, Niner One9
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 11:10:16 AM »

swift wick... got a link I could look at, this is the kind of information I need.

http://www.swiftwick.com/08/

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 06:19:31 PM »

One pair, might as well be regular cycling socks, cause in the cold they are worthless. 
And one pair, that didnt work so well when I went on my Dirty Lil tour not too long ago.

So, this leads to my question.  Who has used a pair of Wool Socks in 30 degree or colder weather that actually worked and kept your toes warm?

Thanks.

I've used Smartwool, doubled up on socks, neoprene booties from Performance, and big red neoprene from Specialized.  The Specialized were the ticket hands down.  Too bad they are big bold red, but my feet love them in the c-c-cold so it makes no difference to me.  Feet and hands are the first to get cold and stay that way a long time.  Having loose enough fit for the toes to move helps with circulation to keep them warm.  I also do a change of socks in the really cold endurance rides.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 06:35:27 PM »
the best brand of socks that I have found is http://www.feeturesbrand.com/products.php

they are very very good and they are the only brand of socks to ever get 5/5 stars from MTB action

naked indian

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 07:12:11 PM »
the best brand of socks that I have found is http://www.feeturesbrand.com/products.php

they are very very good and they are the only brand of socks to ever get 5/5 stars from MTB action

Imma look into this.  Thanks  ;).  Merry Shredmas!

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 08:23:13 PM »

Imma look into this.  Thanks  ;).  Merry Shredmas!

btw-I actually use these socks - there is a local running store that I found them in

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2008, 09:12:27 PM »
Shreadsocklacious!  ...  I like Captain LU's aproach to the wool sock thing.  He uses zip lock plastic bags over his socks under his shoes.  I bet the publix bags work better then the wal=mart ones.   ;D

Offline Tony Buchman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: '08 Giant Trance X2, 2012 Kona Hei Hei 29er
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2008, 09:40:34 PM »
Shreadsocklacious!  ...  I like Captain LU's aproach to the wool sock thing.  He uses zip lock plastic bags over his socks under his shoes.  I bet the publix bags work better then the wal=mart ones.   ;D

I grew up in Indiana where today it was 2 degrees with a wind chill of -25. I can tell you the last thing you want to do is wrap your feet in plastic. Your feet will sweat and the water will make your feet and socks wet thus making them colder. Side note, how do you make your beer cold fast? Answer, you put it in water with ice. I rode In Indy this past Thanksgiving in temps around the 30 degree mark, I wore a pair of regular cotton socks and a pair of generic wool socks over them with the shoes I wear here in FL, vented, and my feet were warm and didn't sweat. I just don't see the point in buying the "fancy" name brand stuff all the time.
I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2008, 10:24:10 PM »

I grew up in Indiana where today it was 2 degrees with a wind chill of -25. I can tell you the last thing you want to do is wrap your feet in plastic. Your feet will sweat and the water will make your feet and socks wet thus making them colder. Side note, how do you make your beer cold fast? Answer, you put it in water with ice. I rode In Indy this past Thanksgiving in temps around the 30 degree mark, I wore a pair of regular cotton socks and a pair of generic wool socks over them with the shoes I wear here in FL, vented, and my feet were warm and didn't sweat. I just don't see the point in buying the "fancy" name brand stuff all the time.

the socks I showed him do more than just wick...there is compression advantages - when you cycle, your feet swell...this keeps the blood flowing better in your feet (and back to your heart through your legs) and the better your circulation, the more oxygen that goes to the muscles....just an added plus with those fancy socks. 

Offline Tony Buchman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: '08 Giant Trance X2, 2012 Kona Hei Hei 29er
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2008, 11:07:26 PM »

Thanks.

Sorry FACTORe, thought we were talking about keeping the feet warm, not circulation. But I think I get your point... better circulation=warmer feet. right?
I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2008, 10:06:58 AM »

Thanks.

Sorry FACTORe, thought we were talking about keeping the feet warm, not circulation. But I think I get your point... better circulation=warmer feet. right?

yes - but with that being said...when i go bowhunting up north ....old wool socks with paper bags over them...then the boots...lol

Advertisement: