Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: shopping for a new bike.  (Read 6650 times)

Offline Jspiels

• First Bike
shopping for a new bike.
« on: December 22, 2008, 01:54:58 PM »
Hey, I recently purchased an entry level bike to get back into riding, with no intentions of taking it off road. Diamond Back Outlook. solid bike, but really not made for any intermediate trails. After taking it through the trails at alafia a few times, i really want to upgrade to something built more for that.

Ive recently visited several bike shops, and was shown and suggested the specialized rockhoppers, trek 4300, 4500, 6000, and 6500, and the Kona Blast. it seems if money wasnt an issue, the 6500 would be my best choice? but assuming money is an issue, are there any other recommendations you guys could offer, or perhaps input and personal feedback on the bikes ive listed.

I was told to check out MTBR for product reviews, and most of the reviews for those bikes are for the 2006/2007/2008 models, and most say the same things about the fork being useless, bad pedals,etc. however others also say they're perfectly fine.

if anyone has any personal experience with these bikes, id love to hear from you if you have the time. once again, im pretty new to the sport, and have a mediocre knowledge of the parts and components involved.

thanks in advance for any feedback!
-Jared

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
Re: shopping for a new bike.
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 02:22:24 PM »
I have had personal experience with Kona hardtails, and can tell you that the frame is bullet proof. As far as the Treks go, I can tell you that after you reach a certain point in there line up, you get the same frame as there top of the line hardtail package.

naked indian

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 02:33:38 PM »
I have had personal experience with Kona hardtails, and can tell you that the frame is bullet proof. As far as the Treks go, I can tell you that after you reach a certain point in there line up, you get the same frame as there top of the line hardtail package.

Both Treks and Konas are solid bikes backed by solid companies.  They work great and ride good.  I can tell you though that there are more plusher materials for hardtails such as steel, but you really cant go wrong with either of those choices.

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 02:41:29 PM »
Have you considered buying a good used bike from a fellow Swamper?
Typically you get twice the bike for the same money that way. Might not get it in time for Christmas though.
If this sounds good change your post to include height, weight, how much you have to spend, favorite places to ride, hardtail or full suspension preference, and condition. You may get a bite sooner than you'd expect. Especially around this time of year and considering the economy.

For Alafia you need to get a good bike. Otherwise you'll find yourself pushing your bike back to the parking lot more than once in a while. If your unsure about how much you like this sport get the cheapest bike that will do the job. Giant makes a pretty decent full suspension rig for under a grand (it got really good reviews for value vs. $$$). I think it is a Yukon FS or something like that and it may even be cheaper than the 6500.

Beware of those who tell you to buy a very rare 80's style rigid steel frame 29'r single speed that was made in a cave somewhere in Idaho with a 16 month backlog of orders. They don't have your best interest at heart. Plus, some here believe they are part of a dangerous cult.
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline LTS guy

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • VIVA LA LTS!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 02:43:30 PM »
I ride a FS. and heres some good advice. Look at any trail head, and if there are 50 riders there, 40 of them will be on a Specialized. The masses usually aren't wrong.
My buddy just bough an 09' Specialized XC, which is almost Identical to the Stump Jumpers frame design, for $1500, it's ride quality is exceptional for the price.
I like cushy rides, and I'm willing to push the extra weight of a shock and such, but each to their own, happy trails, either way. :)
When you ride so far out that you hear no traffic, no people...nothing..

zen.

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 04:39:06 PM »
This is what I observe on any given day

Ellsworth=2 (just because only two people in the area can actually afford one)
Specialized=8
Giant=6
Redline=2
Voodoo=1
Intense=1
Trek/Gary Fisher=7
Scott=0 (Cost more than a brand new Kia)
Kona=2
Salsa=1
Moots=1
Fuji=1
Jamis=1
Boutique special orders that most people have never heard of=2
Santa Cruz=4
KHS=1
Cannondale=2
Wal-Mart=3
K-Mart=1
Dick's Sporting Goods=2
Mother's old bike=1
Bike purchased at pawn shop earlier that day=1

Specialized appears to win but considering that Giant makes some of their bikes and possibly a few others on the list I think the overall winner is clear.

Stir the pot.

Offline steve

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 04:42:34 PM »
Specialized and Giant I believe are the 2 largest Cannondale fits in there some where also lot of those around too

Offline JohnnyB

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Single Track Mind
  • My Bike: '06 Kona Coiler
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 04:43:51 PM »

Specialized=8
Giant=6
Redline=2
Voodoo=1
Intense=1
Trek/Gary Fisher=7
Kona=2
Salsa=1
Moots=1
Fuji=1
Jamis=1
Santa Cruz=4
KHS=1
Cannondale=2
Wal-Mart=3
K-Mart=1
Dick's Sporting Goods=2
Mother's old bike=1

Specialized appears to win but considering that Giant makes some of their bikes and possibly a few others on the list I think the overall winner is clear.

Stir the pot.

Had me L'in OL!!!!  :D :D :D
FrAnKenBiKe V2.0 - Payed Forward

http://bikesboardsandbeer.blogspot.com/

Offline silentneko

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 04:47:11 PM »
Build it yourself!!! I am in your shoes kinda I wanted a good bike to do most of carter road with but had money issues so I got a specialized hardrock, I've had to upgrade the rear wheel and forks already and do alot of other work. If I had to do it all over I'd order a build kit and frame off the net so I get what I want and the quality parts I need. but this is just my experience.
I will say however I am 230lbs, my girl who is like 160lbs rides a giant rincon and it seems to be holding up better then my hardrock.

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 04:56:45 PM »
+1 to that. It's fun and the knowledge will help you down the road when it comes time for trail side emergency repairs.

Offline Gough

• First Bike
  • My Bike: Jamis Dakar XLT 3.0
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2008, 05:25:31 PM »
Specialized and Giant I believe are the 2 largest Cannondale fits in there some where also lot of those around too

Giant makes most of the frames for the major bike companies, look at Treks, GF's, Specialized, and Jamis to name a few, the frames look very simular. I have a Jamis I know was made in a Giant factory in Taiwan, 99 percent of the bikes out there with a "Made in Taiwan" sticker came from a Giant factory, got that bit of info from Giant at a bike seminar.

If you are in Tampa, come out to Brandon and see the people at AJ's, or a local shop in your area, tell them what you want to spend and what you want trails you want to ride, have a price in mind and try to stick to it, they are sales people! $1000 will get you a great bike for a hard tail, a good one for full suspension.

Offline JohnnyB

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Single Track Mind
  • My Bike: '06 Kona Coiler
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2008, 05:29:30 PM »
So knowing that Giant makes most of the bikes.  Does that mean it is cheaper to buy a Giant or is it cheaper to buy a Jamis (for example).  Why would the company produce the bikes, unless they wanted to sell at different price points?
FrAnKenBiKe V2.0 - Payed Forward

http://bikesboardsandbeer.blogspot.com/

naked indian

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2008, 06:06:34 PM »
Specialized is awesome.  Get a modest frame and you can upgrade it later.  Check the used section, Cat was right, you can get twice the bike for the same money.

We will be glad to review components if you attempt a used purchase and we will gladly share our honest feelings about the product.

Offline Gough

• First Bike
  • My Bike: Jamis Dakar XLT 3.0
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2008, 06:08:56 PM »
in Canada Giants had better components at the same price point, a $600 Gary Fisher came with Alivio, where the $600 Giant came with an LX rear deraileur and maybe better shifters. not sure about here in the US, i have not been bike shopping for a while. i bought my Jamis as a frame only, i had all the good bits and pieces to build up the bike i wanted.

Giant makes the frames for the other companies, then ships them to the other companies for further assembly. the system works well, they have been at it for a few years.

used it good too, it does get you into a great bike for much lower than retail, plus you can get upgraded parts too!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 06:12:19 PM by Gough »

Offline jimn213

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: is fast, but I'm not...
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2008, 06:44:31 PM »

Specialized=8
Giant=6
Redline=2
Voodoo=1
Intense=1
Trek/Gary Fisher=7
Kona=2
Salsa=1
Moots=1
Fuji=1
Jamis=1
Santa Cruz=4
KHS=1
Cannondale=2
Wal-Mart=3
K-Mart=1
Dick's Sporting Goods=2
Mother's old bike=1

Stir the pot.

Salsa...WOOHOO!  Never thought I'd be a minority!
Count not him among your friends who will retail your privacies to the world.
- Publilius Syrus (1st guy ever on a mailing list)

Advertisement: