Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: the ultimate final official - "WHAT IS THE BEST?" thread  (Read 2596 times)

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
the ultimate final official - "WHAT IS THE BEST?" thread
« on: December 24, 2008, 10:28:57 AM »
bike brand:

fs or ht:

pedals:

tires:

LBS:

26/29:

drive train:

wheels:

brakes:

now we can once and for all get this settled
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 11:21:08 AM by BeerCan, Reason: brakes: »

Anthem1

Re: the ultimate final official - "WHAT IS THE BEST?" thread
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008, 10:39:08 AM »
This is a loaded question :D As you and I have proven in our debates it really boils down to personal preference. There are components that in my mind are heads and shoulders above others but due to others experiences they will argue to the grave why said component is garbage. For the most part, upper tier products should be good but there is no better teacher than the school of hard knocks. You may have to endure a few lemons as you upgrade and find out what works for you :)

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2008, 10:40:07 AM »
This is a loaded question :D As you and I have proven in our debates it really boils down to personal preference. There are components that in my mind are heads and shoulders above others but due to others experiences they will argue to the grave why said component is garbage. For the most part, upper tier products should be good but there is no better teacher than the school of hard knocks. You may have to endure a few lemons as you upgrade and find out what works for you :)

I agree - but I thought we could keep it all in 1 thread so when somebody comes here and says "what brakes should I get?"  we can just link this thread and not bother arguing all over again

naked indian

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008, 10:42:15 AM »
Ok Im in.  This is Personal opinions no FREAKING ARGUING

bike brand:Salsa

fs or ht: HT all day

pedals:Time, spend more get more.

tires:Panaracer

LBS:Orlando Bike works,

26/29:  29

drive train: SRAM X0

wheels:  STan's Arch or ZTR  XTR hubs

Ok, someone else step up and say your say.

naked indian

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2008, 10:44:31 AM »

I agree - but I thought we could keep it all in 1 thread so when somebody comes here and says "what brakes should I get?"  we can just link this thread and not bother arguing all over again

YOu didnt put brakes on the list!!!

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2008, 10:45:22 AM »
bike brand: ???

fs or ht: FS

pedals: Time

tires: rear SB8 front Rampage

LBS: road bike stuff: flatland  MTB: tie with Oliver's/AJs

26/29: 29 all the way

drive train: SRAM XO

wheels: kings w/stans rims

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2008, 10:46:07 AM »

bike brand:

fs or ht:

pedals:

tires:

LBS:

26/29:

drive train:

wheels:

brakes: Formula

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2008, 10:46:35 AM »

YOu didnt put brakes on the list!!!

they won't let me modify....lol

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2008, 10:48:55 AM »

;)

:D

:P

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2008, 10:53:23 AM »

Offline KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Smite master!
    • Raymond James Financial Services
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2008, 10:55:50 AM »
What about cranks? Fork? Rear shock (air? steel spring? ti spring?)??? Rear hub? Seat clamp? Seat post? Saddle? Stem? Bottom bracket? Handlebar? Headset? This thread is going to be a mile long.....

???
We continuously seek feedback from you as to how we can improve our policies and procedures since our primary goal is to act in partnership with you. If you have any questions or need to report any problems on the SWAMP forum, please send me a PM and I will get back with you ASAP.

Anthem1

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2008, 10:56:40 AM »
Remember that Brake question I posted about the Juicy's, like you I have had great success with Hayes so I went with the Stroker Grams. Enter Murphys law :D I had a fight getting the Front brake to see eye to eye with me. So there I am thinking why did'nt I give those Ultimates a chance :'( Yesterday I got my second ride on the Grams at Boyette and thy are BRILLIANT, but it took a little patience. Had I given up, it could have resulted in one of those bashing reviews posted on MTBR. So I will start your list, A+ on Hayes Stroker Brakes, A+ on Mavic Crossmax wheels(that should start a debate, but yesterday I rember thinking as I ripped up a transition on the Abyss almost thru my turn that these wheels are too fast :o) A+ on my Mavic 717  Hope pro 2 wheel set, light, fast and very durable. I think a lot of that has to do with the build quality, these were built by Abner of Links cycle works, Abner builds a great wheel!
I hear a lot of praise heaped on the I9's but have seen nothing but problems from both hub and spoke failure from fellow riders, that throws up a red flag to me considering the $ they comand, but others swear by them so ther ya go :-*

Offline KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Smite master!
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2008, 10:59:23 AM »
Ah one cannot forget nitrogen or air filled? 5,7,7.5,10,15W oil? Uh...I am thinking of others... oh oh don't forget about different axles sizes and which better/stiffer!
We continuously seek feedback from you as to how we can improve our policies and procedures since our primary goal is to act in partnership with you. If you have any questions or need to report any problems on the SWAMP forum, please send me a PM and I will get back with you ASAP.

naked indian

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2008, 11:00:05 AM »
Ah one cannot forget nitrogen or air filled? 5,7,7.5,10,15W oil? Uh...I am thinking of others...

Baby oil, Air filled...

Offline KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Smite master!
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2008, 11:01:15 AM »
Ah one cannot forget nitrogen or air filled? 5,7,7.5,10,15W oil? Uh...I am thinking of others...

Baby oil, Air filled...

I think you are using the oil for reasons other than filling your fork...lol

Advertisement: